Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Brussels Grand Place {BEL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Brussels Grand Place {BEL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I just stayed there 3 nights over Christmas for 10K points/night. What a great value for the points spent. The hotel was very close to the Central Station and I was thrilled with how close it was to the Grand Place and all the shops and restaurants. Another travel site recommended the rooms with a balcony. I failed to ask about it and did not receive one. The room I was given was nice (but small) and only had 2 windows which let in very little light. I think some rooms on the interior overlooked the center atrium inside the building. I walked to one of the Hiltons and it was a bit of a distance from the Grand Place. For central location and points value, the Scandic is the way to go.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On points the Scandic Brussels is a great value. In cash terms independent of points, one should note that the weekend winter rates at the Conrad can be very good values too, but at a significantly higher price point.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
On points the Scandic Brussels is a great value.
I agree
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I stayed at Scandic Brussels beginning of 2006. It was originally booked on award nights for 3 nights and when I found a 60 Euro rate which as a Diamond I get 10 Euro back for food credit, I thought about it and the 150 Euro was worth the 36k points (30K award used plus 6K to be earned as diamond on point and point) so I switched to paid nights. Great value as a 10k award so I gave 2roomsx3 nights to my sister in the summer for her family and they loved it. Redemption for the summer when rates are over 100 Euro was a better deal.

Scandic Brussels has an awesome location near Grand Place and has a great breakfast buffet. The internet was the only issue I had but they refunded the price I paid. Definitely upscale Ikea although the room can be a little small... They had a 2 for 1 happy hour so we were down for a few kriek...
I would not hesitate to stay there..

There is an excellent restaurant on restaurant row called les Armes du Bruxelle and it was excellent. reservation recommended. Another I liked is in the Grand Place itself and down a set of steps on one of the shorter sides of teh square. A nice combination of locals and tourists and very good food.. I think they have a logo of a person with a pot and the name I think start with K and they do good mussels there althought it is half the portion and twice the price of 5-7 years ago but apparently mussel prices really went up after joining the Euro.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:38 am

Question Scandic Brussels Grand Place

Happily made reservations using Hilton Honors points for a night in July at the Scandic in Brussels. I was told breakfast not included, could anyone let me know if this is the case? I am not a Gold, just lowly Silver...

Will be training onto Paris from here. Is this station adjacent the one I'll take, or do I transfer to another station? :

Thanks so much for your input.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
Originally Posted by andeesue
Happily made reservations using Hilton Honors points for a night in July at the Scandic in Brussels. I was told breakfast not included, could anyone let me know if this is the case? I am not a Gold, just lowly Silver...

Will be training onto Paris from here. Is this station adjacent the one I'll take, or do I transfer to another station? :

We were there in October on an award and Breakfast was included. I believe it is included for everyone regardless of status. ENjoy!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
Breakfasts have allways been included at every Scandic I have stayed at.

I think the station is the central station, and the trains for paris go out of the midi station. No biggie its the next station down the line, about a 5 min train ride.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow Scandic Brussels - it's all about location.

Scandics include full breakfast for every guest, award or paid. Full stop.

You will arrive at Brussels Gare Centrale if you come in from the airport, and for your trip to Paris entrain at Centrale for the three - five minutes' ride to Gare du Midi. (Midi means "south" and not "mid." The Gare du Midi is 2 km / 1.2 mi from the hotel by taxi.)

From Centrale, it is a two - three block walk to the Scandic - keep the cathedral of Stes. Michel et Gudule to your right, walk up Kaiserinlaan / Boulevard d' la Imperatrice to your right, cross the big avenue and look for a smaller street with traffic coming toward you - Rue Arenberg. The hotel will be a half-block further on your right.

See this map of the area.

You can also use a taxi - it is 2 km to the hotel from Gare du Midi (be aware midi means south here, not "mid".)

Across the street (Rue Arenberg) is the covered shopping gallery Gallerie St. Hubertus, - reach the middle of it and take a right on the street, it is Rue des Bouchers, full of restaurants (I'd not recommend those with shills trying to take you in - Chez Léon is a Bruxellois version of fast food (good brews, lots of mussels, etc.) and Aux Armes de Bruxelles, a bit more upscale and quite delicious, and one I have not eaten at but claims good reviews (for seafood) is La Bergerie-Mare Nostrum. There are also pubs - look down the alley past Dominicains to your right, you will see Delirium Tremens, with hundreds of brews (and the much less-known Jeanneke Pis.) Around the corner from the Scandic is A La Mort Subite (to sudden death!) with typical local pub snacks and a very nice selection of brews. (Belgium is the queen of brewing, not anyplace else.)

You will find it a short walk to the Grand Place - if you have never seen it, brace yoruself. A good place to eat in this touristy square is t'Kelderke, literally the cellar of Le Roy d'Espagne halfway down on your left as you enter the Grand Place from the direction of the Scandic. Wander fo rmore brewpubs, the highly publicized Manneken Pis statue, and open air Belgian waffle stands (they are everywhere.) A more upscale restuarant a bit father is Chez Jacques at Place St. Cathérine, Quai aux Briques 44.

Depending if you can stay longer in Brussels, I highly recomend at least a day trip to Brugge / "Bruges" (it is in Flanders, therefore Brugge is correct, pronounced BREW-huh.) Lots of great sights, old Brugge is a very short walk from the RR station (you take the train at Centrale in Brussels,) and there are many places to eat. In the middle of the range but very nice is Den Gouden Karpel, in the square near the old fish market.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by andeesue

Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:50 pm

Brussels Scandic Grand Place

Thanks so much for the info on the Scandic to all, especially JDiver ^ . We'll be coming in by train from Brugge so will be acclimated to the train stations for the trip to Paris the following day.

Happy travels, happy Hiltons (and Scandics...)
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:54 pm

Brugge tip. Get some waffles at this little Red Shop (I forget the name).

If you are in the Markt, take Steenstraat (If you are facing the largest orangey brick tower--make a right).

Here is a map:
http://www.trabel.com/brugge-mapstr-center.htm

Don't go beyond St Niklaastraat. Its between that street and the Markt. We are talking about a 3 min walk from the Markt tops.

Their waffles are really the best. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.