Search

Who pays for status points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Who pays for status points?

I figure individual properties have to buy HH points from Hilton and I'm guessing they're on the hook for base points. That seems fair especially since those points are tied to revenue. But what about the bonus for S/G/D? Does the property pay or does Hilton pay? Just curious?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
It isn't based on the total number of points.

The hotel pays 4% to 5% of gross revenue for each HHonors stay, with a cap per stay of something around $110.

This is on top of 9% royalty and marketing fees.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rut Dog

The hotel pays 4% to 5% of gross revenue for each HHonors stay, with a cap per stay of something around $110.

Wow. At that cost, you have to wonder why they welcome us back. Who pays for the water and Milanos?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Who pays for the water and Milanos?
That's in the contract, too: the hotel.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:11 am

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
Smile

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Wow. At that cost, you have to wonder why they welcome us back. Who pays for the water and Milanos?
They welcome us back because we are proven hotel guests and they would want nothing more than for us to stay there on full revenue. It has happened to me... I took advantage of an award stay and liked the property so much, it has been my regular business stay hotel. They know what it takes to be a Diamond (or Gold) and in the long run, they hope it will pay out huge dividends. Hilton ROCKS!!!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrPaul0722
They welcome us back because we are proven hotel guests and they would want nothing more than for us to stay there on full revenue. It has happened to me... I took advantage of an award stay and liked the property so much, it has been my regular business stay hotel. They know what it takes to be a Diamond (or Gold) and in the long run, they hope it will pay out huge dividends. Hilton ROCKS!!!
Nobody's getting rich off my corporate rates and matress hopping, but I will admit to spending half my 80 nights last year in 2 properties and probably 3/4 in a half dozen. I do return to the properties that are well run and treat me with enthusiasm.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrPaul0722
You're right about the logic of accepting the very low reimbursement rates for reward stays. But the comments you responded to were about how much a property has to pay to Hilton corporation on paid stays.

When an HHonors member stays at a hotel, they pay about 13% of gross revenue on the folio to the corporation. That's what BamaVol was commenting on. And I, too, was surprised when I found out just how high it is - it's a significant cut into margin.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They welcome us back because we are proven hotel guests and they would want nothing more than for us to stay there on full revenue.
How about down at the shallow end of the pool, where us bottom feeders stay?

I put in a good 120-150 nights/year in a hotel, and I pay my own way. If it wasn't for Marriott Rewards and Hilton Honors, I'd be doing all my time through Priceline or at the Motel DeGink. With the loyalty programs, I'm exclusively at Fairfield Inns and Hampton Inns.

So, while they don't get all that much from me, it still adds a few grand a year to the property's bottom line.

Is it worth it to them if I stay at the cheap end and spend my points in Paris? I don't know. But, from a corporate perspective, they do get a net gain. And, when I'm spending the company's nickel, I do zero in on my preferred chains.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Rut Dog

That is a huge cut. Wonder how the frequent guest number drops sometimes by the time the folio is "sent" to the corporate. Not really a problem with Hilton but with one other chain. I guess that they doesn't want to pay the 5% cut.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:17 pm

So people like us who stay at a hotel for months at a time (so hotel only pays 110) is the type that the hotels like?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nova474
So people like us who stay at a hotel for months at a time (so hotel only pays 110) is the type that the hotels like?
And yet, the suite upgrades go to those of us who stay for 1 night (and then return for 1 night 3 days later).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.