Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Amex "first 4 stays" bonus without "stays?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:35 am
Original Poster

I've read about how you can charge a coke or something at the gift shop or hotel restaurant and it'll get you the first stay bonuses...how consistent is this? How do you know they'll bill as the hotel instead of "Hilton New York Gift Shop" or soemthign?

Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I just stayed at a Doubletree on an award stay. I used my Hilton AMEX to pay for restaurant and gift shop charges. The 2500 point bonus posted.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Did you charge it to your room? If not, wouldn't the charges say the name of the restaurant or gift shop instead, or do they just scan for the word "Hilton" ?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by magic168
Did you charge it to your room? If not, wouldn't the charges say the name of the restaurant or gift shop instead, or do they just scan for the word "Hilton" ?
I charged these to my room. I also used my Hilton AMEX to guarantee the room. So I guess my experience isn't really relevant to your question - i.e., can you just walk into a hotel and charge something directly to your credit card and get the bonus. My guess is no, but since I haven't tried it, I don't know. We have a Hampton Inn and a Hilton just down the street - I'll give it a try and let you know.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I charged these to my room. I also used my Hilton AMEX to guarantee the room. So I guess my experience isn't really relevant to your question - i.e., can you just walk into a hotel and charge something directly to your credit card and get the bonus. My guess is no, but since I haven't tried it, I don't know. We have a Hampton Inn and a Hilton just down the street - I'll give it a try and let you know.
Dont even bother wasting your time doing this it will not work
The charge has to be related to a stay and that stay must be reflected as having being paid by the HH Amex.
That might seem like a contradiction but I had two stays which although paid with the HH Amex and even shown as such on the website e-folios, the Hotel Stays section on hilton.com indicated payment by cash, consequently the bonus did post.
Had to call in to get it posted manually.

mike
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
indicated payment by cash
Cash?? I didn't think people used that any more.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Cash?? I didn't think people used that any more.

Its that quirky HH IT system again. Both of those stays were prepaid non refundable rates so I presume that since in both cases nothing was charged to the card I gave at checkin to guarantee charges, even though it was the same card it shows up as cash on the system.

mike
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
Its that quirky HH IT system again. Both of those stays were prepaid non refundable rates so I presume that since in both cases nothing was charged to the card I gave at checkin to guarantee charges, even though it was the same card it shows up as cash on the system.

mike

All my recent stays show up as cash payment method where I used my Amex for the charges. These were not prepaid stays so I'm sure it is not just a prepaid problem.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oosillyoo
All my recent stays show up as cash payment method where I used my Amex for the charges. These were not prepaid stays so I'm sure it is not just a prepaid problem.
Am I correct in assuming you did not get the bonus?
If not call HH refer them to the folios and ask them to change it to Amex.
mike
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
Am I correct in assuming you did not get the bonus?
If not call HH refer them to the folios and ask them to change it to Amex.
mike

I did not get the bonus and I'm going to call them later today to this get this fixed.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:23 pm

Smile Receive bonus everytime

I've received the bonus everytime, even when I didn't purchase anyhting from within the hotel.

Actually forgot about how I entered this, just started showing up on every stay.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:05 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
I must have missed this promotion. I am in one where I get 500 HH points for every 'cobrand" stay (using my HH Amex card). So far 7 of my last 8 stays got me the bonus points. Is this a different promotion?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaynyc
I must have missed this promotion. I am in one where I get 500 HH points for every 'cobrand" stay (using my HH Amex card). So far 7 of my last 8 stays got me the bonus points. Is this a different promotion?
Nope, this discussion started relative to the initial 2500 bonus for the first four uses of the HH card at a Hilton Hotel then the 500 Cobrand bonus got into the mix ( ie the bonus for on-line booking only paid by the HH Amex ) it appears that some have thought/ misinterpreted it to be/are trying to find ways to make it mean any use of the card at a HH property.

Now there is ongoing 1000 bonus point promo which was tragetted, for online booking at HH hotels which I believe runs until the end of April??.

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Apr 1, 2006 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.