Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Prague {CZE}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2001, 9:54 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Are you terminating at Praha Holesovice or Praha Hlavni (or are you asking which is preferred)? Both are co-located with Metro stations.

It looks as if Hlavni has more trains from Frankfurt of shorter trip duration and the night sleeper (my choice) terminates there, too.

Take the Metro to the Florenc station and walk or take a taxi from the station. Holesovice is farther than Hlavni from the hotel as I remember the city layout, but we're not talking about large distances.
Rich
Old Sep 20, 2002, 8:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Prague Hilton

Going to Prague on GLON award in October. Was only going for three nights but decided to go for 6 nights instead for 15K more. Hope the hotel is centrally located. Is this worth it? I am cutting out Dresden Hilton and Munich Hiltons.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 10:46 am

There are a few other threads discussing the Prague Hilton, but I'll give my $0.02 as well.

I was there for two nights on a GLON in June (my wife stayed the remaining nights). It's pleasant enough, but nothing truly special. Not at all centrally located, however! It's 1-2 blocks away from a Metro station which will get you to the center of town in short order, however. Buy a 7-day metro pass at the little kiosk on the *outside* of the metro station, or just pay as you go -- it's quite cheap. Finding the hotel after leaving the Metro station is surprisingly difficult (although it's very close), but I can walk you through it if you'd like.

If you're gold and up, you can expect a room on floors 7-8 and occasional fruit plates/bottles of decent local wine. Exec. lounge is pleasant, with somewhat indifferent service. Don't bother to wait in line downstairs, just go up to the lounge to check in.

Prague is a wonderful city, though, so it doesn't matter where you stay.

Probably a river view would be nicer than a city view, but I found the city view interesting. In June there was considerable construction, and I imagine the area is still a mess from the recent floods.

Taxis from the hotel are terribly expensive, but as others have noted, you can bill them to your room -- just check with the concierge or front desk.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions!

Best,
lux
Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:40 am

Hilton Dresden is closed for months.

Hilton Prague?!? I would call. Read this from the webpage:
.... Welcome to Hilton Prague - Due to the flooding of the Moldau River in Prague, making access to the Hilton impossible, the Hilton Prague will remain closed for arrivals through Sept 26, 2002....

[This message has been edited by USAFAN (edited 09-20-2002).]
Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:30 pm

Prague is a city where I'd consider staying away from a Hilton. Its location is bad, IMHO.

There are many small fabulous hotels in the old city.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:52 pm

I wanted to stay in Prague Hilton from 8th Nov to 11th Nov. I browse the Hilton Web site, found the room information in which
was clearly stated that there are 19 Executive King Suites allwith jaccuzzi according to room descriptions given on Web site and I wanted jacuzzi in the suite. So I called the reservation number listed on my Hhonors card, talked to a reservation agent
and booked an King Executive Suite with JACUZZI for what I have received confirmation 3134931069 on Sep. 27th. I mentioned that I'm coming with the dog and she OK'd it and give me the price of 556 DEM per night.

Well we came to Prague at Nov 8th and checked in at Executive level lounge where we foound that the new price was 584 DEM per
night and that there is surcharge for the dog. I thought what a heck and OK'd it. And then we went to room. What a surprise.
No Jacuzzi at all ! So I went to ask the Executive lounge stuf what's going on.

1. They didn't know that they don't have Jacuzzi in suits (what I have noticed because young lady called the supervisor to
ask if they have suites with jacuzzi just to find out that only presidential suite has it)
2. She told me that the supervisor will contact me immediatelly, so we waited in the room. After 20 minutes of waiting we've had it enough, and we cancelled the room and went to Prague Marriott where we stayed in a lovely bi-level suite and had a good time.
3.In the meantime porter came with our suitcase and I handed him 50 CZK and he refused to take it saying that that's
nothing, so I gave him 100 CZK and he was finally satisfied !
4. Yes, the manager called me to Marriott (what a shame Hilton manager calling departed guest to Marriott , dont You think ?)to excuse herself , having business with other guests so she couldn't contact me, but I asked her only to make sure that she cancel my membership in HHonors and that I left her my card at
the reception because she was not available. She found a lots of excuses (like I did'nt call hotel directly and ask information about suites - why when on the web suite
descriptions in the option suites it was clearly written that there is a jacuzzi and I got confirmation from reservation agent for Jacuzzi?)

Well today we returned from Prague and I have checked Hilton site again and today it is CHANGED. Jacuzzi is banned from room descriptions and added only to the description of Presidential suite ! How did they manage to change description so fast and
even add that not all the room amenities are available at every property ?

So much about Prague Hilton!
Old Sep 20, 2002, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
We arrived back from Prague last Sunday. I'd originally booked at 10 day stay at the Hilton, but because of the closure, I arranged for Hilton/Europe to find me another hotel at the same rate as originally booked (156 euro). They reserved us a room at the SAS Alcron off Wenceslas Square, which is a very nice 5* property. This was way below the cheapest internet rate that was available on that hotel's web site. The Intercontinental and Four Seasons suffered much more flood damage, and will be closed for some time it seems. The Hilton only apparently had water problems in its basement floors.

Since we spent our entire time walking around the city, and were out by the Hilton several times, I wouldn't have been inconvenienced by it's non-central location.

An earlier poster had mentioned using the subway - but the stations in the central area were flooded and only the outlying stations are operating, with X town trams filling in the gaps. One of the lines is probably going to take a month to reopen through the center city, and another up to a year. You can check on the Prague transportation web site to see what stations are currently operating.

Because of the flood damage (particulary to some of the cobbled streets and underground utilities), much of the center city is closed to all but taxi and commercial traffic (several of the bridges into the center city are closed to all but such traffic). There are police and young soldiers serving their military obligation manning 24 hr road blocks on many of the streets aroung the center city. It actually makes things much more pleasant with considerably less traffic and associated pollution on the street.

The weather was wonderful, only raining for a few hours late one afternoon, otherwise warm and sunny. Tourism is way down, except for the day trippers from Germany in the weekend, and the young Czechs and eastern european kids having fun in the big city. Hotel reservations are WAY down, and restaurants were often deserted in the evening.

The only major closures were the Synagogues and cemetery in the Jewish quarter. Otherwise the clean up has been very fast and efficient.

John

------------------
From a kiwi who can fly!

[This message has been edited by SoFlyOn (edited 09-20-2002).]
Old Sep 20, 2002, 4:53 pm

This is all very useful info. I'll be in Prague mid oct, so hope all will be reasonable by then. I've decided to skip the hilton prague for a local establishment near prague castle, hope it turns out OK!
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:42 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luxurio:
Taxis from the hotel are terribly expensive, but as others have noted, you can bill them to your room -- just check with the concierge or front desk.

</font>
I stayed at Prague Hilton last October.

We used the official taxi booking service at the airport on arrival. Easy & straightforward, paid by credit card and went outside and jumped into our waiting taxi.

On departure we used the Hilton taxi service - the fare was cheaper than the airport service and in a clean, well maintained & comfortable Mercedes Benz.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
We stayed at the Prague Hilton last May. It is not downtown, but OTOH the subway costs a quarter and you're in the heart of things in 10 minutes. The hotel taxi service is very good as well.

As a Diamond, I was comped to a two-room suite on the 8th (top) floor). Very, very nice. The Executive Lounge is huge, reasonably well stocked, and has helpful concierges. They also had an older laptop set up in the Lounge with free high-speed internet access, which was very convenient.

All in all, I wouldn't stay anywhere else as a Diamond if I could get a reasonable price (we payed 195 EUR/night).
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
After some negative comments about the property I have decided not to stay at this hotel. The subway is not dependable during the recovery. I was going to use 100K points since the rates were 132 EURO per night for a double room which seemed kind of high. I am considering the Munich City Hilton since transportation to the city is easy and I don't use taxi's in Europe.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 9:20 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, Alaska MVPG100K, Marriott Titanium Elite
I am sorry to hear so many people had a negative experience at this hotel. I for one was treated very nice in a time of dispair for me. I had just gotten to Prague in August of last year and was anxiously awaiting the call of my wife so I could talk with her and my son. When the 6:00 PM phone call came and I heard her voice I knew that something was immediately wrong.

My father passed away the night before of a heart attack. As you probably know, I was deeply distraught and had to handle funeral arrangements from the hotel. Everyone on duty was very gracious and sympatheitc and went out of there way to help me out with faxes, e-mails, phone calls and such. It definitely made my heart ache a little better.

As for the hotel, it is nicely decorated, decent rooms, nice guest lounge which you will get access to as a VIP, and within walking distance of quite a few things. A little out of the way but the walk is nice as you get to see the sites of Prada.

Charlie
Old Sep 25, 2002, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I was in Prague when the floods crested and for the following week. While a large part of the metro is out, the trams provided very regular and very good service (and it was free when I was there!).

I'm not sure why some of you think the hotel is not in a good location (we stayed w/friends). Prague is a great city to walk around in and public transit is good.

Also, there were not too many tourists (not NEARLY as many as the last time I was there two years ago) and most all of the tourist areas were open by the time we left. The scenes from the TV news were IMHO highly exaggerated. Prague was damaged by the floods but it got off relatively unscathed.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 3:53 pm
DOC 2 BE

I is not particularly central, but it is not distant, unlike other hotels in the burbs. As noted, it is about a 5-10 min walk to the subways, and they are cheap, but we love to walk, so we did so even at 2 AM!

The hotel is quite nice and modern, after all this is where Clinton stayed for the Central European summit during his term. It is an atrium hotel, and it is lovely.

Cab service from the hotel is fine and not a rip-off. We took the bus service in from the aiport -- while ago since we were there and so this may have changed.

We plan to go back to Prague and do a 6 day Glon there, so we can visit other parts of Prague, Cesky Budovice and Krumilov and Therezin.

Not enuf time for just 3 days like last time!

Great city and quite inexpensive.

Old Oct 23, 2002, 9:22 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Stayed there last week for 5 days using the GLON award. Nice hotel overall, but the executive king room was quite small. Not centrally located, about 15 minute walk from the Old Town. We did not mind walking except when it rained, was cold and windy. Also, after wandering around the city for 4 hours, the last 15 minute home was a really loooong stretch!

There was one annoyance during our stay: the intermitten hot and cold shower! The temperature of the water was inconsistent, so everytime during shower, I had to do a mini foxtrot in the bathtub, one step forward (when water was warm) two steps back (when water was icy cold and scorching hot)!

When we return to Prague next time, we will stay either at the Marriott or Renaissance which is just a few minutes from the Old Town and many nice restaurants.

(I have also posted a few warnings for Prague visitors in the Travelbuzz if you are interested.)

[This message has been edited by belle3388 (edited 10-23-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.