Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baker's Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
TripAdvisor gave the Key Largo property pretty positive reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Florida.html
Old May 3, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dougdd
Would you consider the Key Largo Resort better than the Key West DoubleTree?
Definitely superior to Doubletree Key West, but the Doubletree is close to the Key West beach and of course there are all of the Key West attractions if you stay there.
Old May 3, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CRC, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Priority Club Gold
My 2 cents

I was considering taking my family to the Hilton Key West. The more I researched, I found negative comments about customers getting beautiful water views only for those views to be totally blocked by daily cruise ship dockings. We decided....not our type of place.

We did have a reservation a couple of years ago at the Double Tree; however, had to cancel due to a hurricane. Unfortunately, the Double Tree had TERRIBLE problems with carbon monoxide...including a death:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=641176&page=2
Old May 3, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TPAbound
I was considering taking my family to the Hilton Key West. The more I researched, I found negative comments about customers getting beautiful water views only for those views to be totally blocked by daily cruise ship dockings. We decided....not our type of place.

We did have a reservation a couple of years ago at the Double Tree; however, had to cancel due to a hurricane. Unfortunately, the Double Tree had TERRIBLE problems with carbon monoxide...including a death:

I am working in Key West next week and staying at the Double Tree will post an update then.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:10 pm

Any diamond recognition at the Hilton Key Largo?
Old May 6, 2008, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TPAbound

The Hilton Key West is no more. The Doubletree is pretty nice. The carbon monoxide problems are long gone.
Old May 6, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Currently staying at the Double Tree Key West. Overall it reminds me a lot of ST Thomas. Hotel is nice and staff has been decent so far, but it is geared for people on vaction versus work. They have a shuttle that runs downtown and to a couple of other places. Rooms seem a little small or maybe crowded but livable. I did get a small balcony. Breakfast coupons were given at checkin along with a one big bottle of water. the hot breakfast part of eggs etc was like 4 -5 bucks extra. They have a nice pool bar. Gym has some newer machines. Free wireless.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Plat, United 2P
Hilton Key Largo

I stayed at the Hilton Key Largo last weekend. Using echeck-in I was assigned room 441. But we arrived early since we had a wedding to attend and were given 341. So no upgrade for a diamond, but it was my own fault for needing a room early. I did get 4 free drink coupons, but no breakfast or anything else.

One big item is that once you enter the hotel your cell signal is completely gone. This was both Verizon and AT&T. The parking lot gives you about 1 bar.

It was you typical Keys hotel, outside corridors and while well maintained, it does show its age. If you get a room in the east wing, (x40-) then it looks like only the 4th floor will really have a view. Our view was blocked by the "natural hardwood forest" out back.

There is a small beach out back, and it is on the inner bay. If you didn't already know, most beaches in the keys are very small and not so great, but it is 100 times better then the closest "public" one at John Pennekamp. They do have a few cheap boats and a dock, along with a bar on the beach. I think they do it for just enough to justify calling themselves a resort and charging you another $18/day.

Largo is not my first choice of places to stay in the Keys, we were only there for the wedding, but it was decent enough for the location. If you are going to the keys, I wouldn't stop in Largo, but keep on going down to Key West. Much more to do then in Largo.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:52 am

Thanks for the update regarding diamond benefit, or lack thereof
No upgrade and no breakfast.
I am still debating staying here or the Beach Harbor Marriott resort in FLL where I am only a lowly sliver over the Fourth of July weekend. The key for me is nice beach and clear water. FWIW hilton $338 vs Marriott $238.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by neuro0
Thanks for the update regarding diamond benefit, or lack thereof
No upgrade and no breakfast.
I am still debating staying here or the Beach Harbor Marriott resort in FLL where I am only a lowly sliver over the Fourth of July weekend. The key for me is nice beach and clear water. FWIW hilton $338 vs Marriott $238.

Marriott Harbor Beach has an outstanding beach. The hotel itself is quite nice. It is also a very short taxi ride to Los Olos Blvd. with lots of restaurants and shopping. If the beach is a priority, it is hard to go wrong with the Marriott Harbor Beach.

--Jon

P.S. I don't have any experience with The Keys, so I can't comment on any of those properties.

Last edited by Jon Maiman; May 8, 2008 at 9:16 am
Old May 8, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Plat, United 2P
I agree that the Fort Lauderdale beaches are 100000000000(how many more 0s can i fit?)X better then anything in the keys. Of course while South Beach is overrated, that beach is even nicer then FLL.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, DL-Gold, IC-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Dia, Amex-Plat
Booked for the weekend, but left early...

We booked for the long weekend using points.

The beach is fairly small and the water somewhat murky until about a depth of 5'. Probably OK on a non-holiday weekend, but too crowded this time. There is a pretty decent bar/grill on the beach; nothing great but passable for the basic beach needs. Not really a destination hotel.

We were upgraded without asking from a base "key room" to the next level. Unfortunately, there was mildew in the bathroom and it set off my daughter's asthma. The manager offered another room on the 3rd floor with a very nice view, however, that one smelled of smoke (not too badly but my daughter is very sensitive). Nothing else was available due to it being a holiday weekend.

We decided to leave without spending the night. The manager picked up our tab at the beach bar and the points were put back in my account without having to ask.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:51 pm

Question Key Largo Grande?

Anyone stayed there recently? I'm trying to plan my honeymoon and have enough points for an AXON code stay somewhere. The hotel looks gorgeous on the website, but reviews are mixed on Trip Advisor.
I'm looking for a reality check from experienced travelers!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, PriorityClub Gold, Marriott, UA Mileage Plus, LH Miles & More, Sixt Platinum
We have been to the Key Largo Grande Resort last week for two nights. As a gold member we have been upgraded from a king canopy room to a two queen bedroom on the third floor.

After 20 minutes in the room we noted ants all over the room which were coming into the room through the closed balcony door. We went down to the reception and got another room on the 4th floor with a nice view of the gulf and got the parking fees (12 US$ per night) removed from our bill.

Most staff in the hotel were quite nice but the service at the breakfast was quite slow...

Continental breakfast served at the restaurant is free for gold and diamond members, upgrade to the full breakfast is 7 US$ per person.

For further questions please ask...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
Hi everyone--

My family- wife, kids age 12 and 10- are planning a trip to Key Largo area in Feb. break. Our purpose is to relax and snorkel. We currently have a reservation for 4 nights at this Hilton. The reservation only allowed a queen bed and sofabed. We'd really like 2 beds. We are HH gold.
I've been reading reviews and see that there is a newly converted Hampton Inn coming in weeks (only category 2) and a HI and suites in Islamorada. Both of these hotels seem to have superior reviews on Tripadvisor.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.