Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Switching, Transferring and Converting Airline Miles to Hilton Honors Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 1999, 1:23 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold

Anyone have any information on Hilton offering any special offers on miles to points conversions? The current two points for one mile is not too attactive; but I'm going to need to convert some United miles soon. I believe Hilton ran a promotion a couple of years ago that was an excellent rate of four for one.
Old Jun 1, 1999, 5:57 pm

I remember that one... I converted a lot of miles from UA Mileage Plus to Hilton Points... Still waiting for them to repeat that promotion.
Old Jan 1, 2000, 9:27 pm

Miles to points conversion

I remember once Hilton gave 4 points for each mile with Mileage Plus as a special promotion.Is anyone aware of any current or upcomming 4X offers with Hilton ? I checked the HHonors website, but there was no mention of any offers.
Old Jan 1, 2000, 9:33 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Many have posed the same question on FlyerTalk before.
Old Mar 15, 2000, 6:01 pm

Question on exhanging miles for HHonors points

I would like to exchange my Delta miles for HHonors points. I see on page 50 of the HHonors member guide that the conversion rates go up to only 30,000 miles. Is 30,000 the maximum number of miles I can exchange?
Old Mar 15, 2000, 10:34 pm

I've successfully converted a greater number of miles from other airlines to HHonors points. I sent in a request to exchange some large number of miles (say 90,000 miles for example). The appropriate exchange for all the miles took place, and my statement just listed three 30,000 mile conversions.
Old May 6, 2000, 3:34 pm

HH Points accept airline miles with no expiration

Does anyone know what the gimic is with HH accepting mileage from airlines in exchange for non-expiring HH points?

Check out http://www.hilton.com/hhonors/rewards/exchange_1.html

Old May 6, 2000, 4:14 pm
CG

The gimick is, they give you 2 HHonors points for every 1 airline mile. They then charge you at least 5 HHonors points to convert back to airline miles. That means you lose 60% of your miles in the conversion.
Old May 6, 2000, 6:46 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
CG,

You only lose the 60% if you use the points for miles. You will probably find that you have a higher value per point by using them for free hotel stays.

As for expiring miles, almost every single airline has gotten rid of them, as long as you fly or earn miles once every three years. Thus the relief valve of HH Points for expiring miles doesn't really matter any more.
Old May 7, 2000, 5:05 am

Thanks for the post Freekflyer and CG.
Old May 7, 2000, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The only "gimick" is why AA and LAN CHILE give a one-for-one rather than two-for-one conversion rate? Exchange, however, is particularly useful to top off the 100K level on HHonors where the free nights increase substantially over lower level redemptions. And, of course, getting some use out of miles in inactive "orphaned" FF programs where you don't even have enough miles for an upgrade and are unlikely to be flying that carrier.
Old Sep 10, 2000, 6:28 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Miles To Points - - Good Deal Or Not?

I've got 20,000 Delta miles just sitting around. I do not fly them. I could transfer them to Hilton HHonors and get 40,000 points using 20k miles. I also have a boat load of HHonors points presently in my account too.

I have plenty of FF miles in my UA & AA accounts so I really don't need to worry about having enough miles for future air travel.

However, it appears that the Delta miles lose some of the value when you tranfer to HHonors.

What do you think? What would you do?
Old Oct 15, 2000, 2:23 pm

Get more than 2 HH points per airline mile

If you need HHonors points (as opposed to air miles) open a Starwood account and/or Starwood Amex and a Mexicana airlines account to get more HH points/air mile than the standard 2:1 conversion.

Here's how:

Starwood points transfer 1:1 to Mexicana. But you only need 6,250 miles from Mexicana to get 20,000 HHonors points (instead of the 10,000 you'd need from other airlines).

If you do the math, Mexicana miles earn 60% more HHonors points than other airlines.

Old Oct 15, 2000, 7:34 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Airline miles do not transfer to Starwood, so I do not see how you are proposing to get more than 2 HH points per airline miles.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 6:27 am

Originally posted by PG:
Airline miles do not transfer to Starwood, so I do not see how you are proposing to get more than 2 HH points per airline miles.
Technically, I should have written: "If you really need HHonors points, here's how to get more than 2 HH points per generic mile (SPAM/charge) that you normally would have transferred to an airline and then to Hilton."

As I mentioned in my post, you need to open a Starwood account. You activate the account either by spending money at a Starwood or through Starwood Amex.

If you don't want the Amex, you can generate Starwood points by transferring them from ClickRewards at a 1:1 ratio. So the equation would look like this:

ClickRewards>>Starwood 1:1
Starwood>>Mexicana 1:1
Mexicana>>HHonors 6,250:20,000

As I said before, this technique is for people who favor HHonors points over airline miles.

[This message has been edited by Family flyer (edited 10-16-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.