Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Effective June 1, 2006: Hilton Honors Reward Category Changes — 900+ Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective June 1, 2006: Hilton Honors Reward Category Changes — 900+ Properties

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 5:58 pm
In Memoriam

If Hilton wanted to tell me to take my 100+ nights a year elsewhere, they could not have been more clear.

I am going to have to run some numbers and seriously evaluate what this means to me and my participation in this program.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Sounds like the chickens are coming home to roost --5 PP$ on certain Amex purchases, Walk for Life bonuses, 2x points promos, MyWay Points & Points option.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It actually has zero impact on me.

I'm a bottom feeder - all my paid stays are at Hamptons or Fairfields. All out of my own pocket.

When I want to spend points, it's usually at a non-CONUS location, and I pretty much expect it'll be a Cat 6 property. I've only spent on an award in the US once, and it was an Opportunity level Hampton. With the amount of time I'm on the road, taking a vacation to East Overshoe, Arkansas and staying at the "downtown" Hilton just has no attraction. Priceline can probably do a better deal for me, anyhow.

So far, it's still 40K/night at a Cat 6. With the GLONs and AXON awards, I'm still in the same boat.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MileKing
The HHonors category changes are brutal! I have not done any counts, but it would appear that 90%+ of the changes are increases. The number of Hampton Inns in the Opportunity category appears to be dropping significantly. I see several instances where Opportunity properties are going up to level 2 and a few cases where they are going to level 3......that's ridiculous in my view.

My estimate is that the changes result in an overall devaluation of HHonors points by 6-8%, assuming award costs do not change.
I think you're being optimistic on the effective devaluation. Sure some hotels stay the same category but a lot of the ones we use have gone up - in some cases several categories. Frankly I dont know how some of the new categorisations can possibly be justified - at least for some of the hotels I have stayed at.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think you're being optimistic on the effective devaluation. Sure some hotels stay the same category but a lot of the ones we use have gone up - in some cases several categories. Frankly I dont know how some of the new categorisations can possibly be justified - at least for some of the hotels I have stayed at.
Maybe, maybe not. My 6-8% is a very rough guess across the entire range of properties and without having crunched any numbers. 2/3 of the HHonors properties have not changed their category.

If you only use your points at a few specific properties and those happened to move up a category or two, then your personal devaluation will be much greater. I tend to look at the larger picture since I don't know exactly where I may be staying in the future.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Fair enough. For me it looks worse than that. For some it will have made no impact whatsoever.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigLar
It actually has zero impact on me.

I'm a bottom feeder - all my paid stays are at Hamptons or Fairfields. All out of my own pocket.

When I want to spend points, it's usually at a non-CONUS location, and I pretty much expect it'll be a Cat 6 property. I've only spent on an award in the US once, and it was an Opportunity level Hampton. With the amount of time I'm on the road, taking a vacation to East Overshoe, Arkansas and staying at the "downtown" Hilton just has no attraction. Priceline can probably do a better deal for me, anyhow.

So far, it's still 40K/night at a Cat 6. With the GLONs and AXON awards, I'm still in the same boat.
Pretty much the same for me, I have NEVER ONCE redeemed a US hotel award
its always been cat 5 or 6s in Europe, looking at the properties with new higher cats I have only stayed at one, Hilton Sorrento.

But I cant but help repeat that when the 5k Run for Life promos started I was pooh poohed here when I warned this would happen, the economics just dont add up, $700.00 in runs buys you a $1500.00 GLON2

Overall a non-event for me though.

mike
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:23 pm

“Those who do not learn from History are destined to repeat it”

I was a loyal Hilton Diamond member for too many years but the last point devaluation a few years ago was the straw that broke the camels back. The old GLON awards went from 100,000 to 150,000, and with only a couple of weeks notice, actually no official notice, they eliminated some of my favorite awards.

Fortunately I was able to use up most of my points before the devaluation took place but I now see an even further eroding of the program. I should point out that I only have about 75,000 points left so this does not affect me as much as the last devaluation but it still hurts. Some of my favorite awards are decimated by the proposed changes, Phuket and Narita from 1 to 2, Sorrento from 3 to 6! I will be able to use up all my old points quickly but how about the rest of you.

Those properties that are going up in cost you will soon notice have no availability, as all of us race to make our reservations. It was nice of Hilton to provide some advance warning this time but this warning is certainly going to change the availability of award stays at hotels with point requirements that will double soon.

When Hilton showed me loyalty I responded in kind, but when they asked me to bend over I declined the invitation. I have used the Safari award in Africa, GLONs in Rome, Sorrento, Shanghai, Cairns, and London and a few combination airline awards as well.

What bothers me about some of the posters in this forum is there willingness to accept these changes and in some cases to actually applaud Hiltons actions. You are getting screwed and some of you are all to willing to get on your knees. Tell Hilton how you really feel and the only way you can do that is with your wallet. I don’t remember who this quote is attributed to but it is appropriate.

Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cygone
Exactly. And given these changes, there is no reason to think that GLON2- and GLONP2-type rewards are going to remain at the current levels for a whole lot longer either.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unhappy No big surprise to me...

I'll be the devil's advocate and unpopular guy here and ask what exactly some of you thought Hilton would do - hotel rates have gone up, monumentally in some areas, as occupancy has gone way up after the guest hiatus after September 11. A number of people were wondering when Hilton would bring Scandic into the fold and reassign the artificially low award categories, and many of us have ben acting like kids turned loose in a candy store with an absent shopkeeper with such bargains as Hilton Tokyo Narita or Hilton Nairobbery at 10k points, or the Hilton Athens at 25,000.

Well, it has happened, and they have given us fair warning - these new award categories go into effect for bookings made on or after June 1, so if you really do have hot plans for a holiday or vacation in any of the 900 Hilton family properties where the award category is increasing, it's time to ramp up the planning. As for approximately 4,100 properties not affected, they're still there.

Hilton is responsible to the share holders, and they have made a number of astute moves in the last months that I suspect will please them. Let's hope those moves will include more brand standardization and a honed loyalty scheme.

By the way, notice how much more you're paying at the gas pump or to heat your house these days?

Cheers
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
.... and many of us have ben acting like kids turned loose in a candy store with an absent shopkeeper with such bargains as Hilton Tokyo Narita or Hilton Nairobbery at 10k points, or the Hilton Athens at 25,000.
Behaving like that is rather mature behavior on the part of this consumer.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver

I'll be the devil's advocate and unpopular guy here and ask what exactly some of you thought Hilton would do - hotel rates have gone up, monumentally in some areas, as occupancy has gone way up after the guest hiatus after September 11.
So please explain to me again how this justifies that dump of a Nairobi Hilton going from Cat #1 to Cat #4 ???????????

Rates up. No.

Occupancy up - no.

Safety up - hhahahahahahaaa
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
This is bad news, indeed. My usual suspect properties all increased by 2 or 3 levels. But this is one of the very few FT forums where I don't bash the program involved, so I'll try to exercise restraint.

My stays are short, so GLONs and AXONs aren't a factor and I wonder if they'll hold up anyway. All I can say is, increase AmEx earnings promotions (those double points above a certain spend) or I can see my HHonors involvement doing a serious spiral. Looks like I'm on my last year with the Diamond Club as it is. Even with the issues I have with European programs, there are just too many other options now.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Last year I burned my HHonors points for Scandic stays in Helsinki. I don't see it any longer as a viable option. Wonder when the GLON's are going to get the "enhancement" too.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
On the bright side ( ):

The number of hotels to chose from for the GLONP award (cat. 6 hotels) has increased significantly !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.