Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Trafalgar St. James London, Curio Collection by Hilton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

The Trafalgar St. James London, Curio Collection by Hilton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by Ski Ag-'82
Just a note to let everyone know that the reception/bar area at the Trafalgar Hilton in under renovation--They say it is going to be finished by 11 Feb. But IMHO it is going to be at least another week, probably more like two. They are serving breakfast in the meeting room on the first floor.

And I wondered why I got such a good rate.

Michael
Hehe... some might say that they could actually charge MORE now if it means that the bar/club is quiet at night!

I love that hotel, but it does get noisy!

Thanks for the heads up, Ski Ag!

Last edited by lbbzman; Feb 6, 2005 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:07 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Free Breakfast for Golds at the Trafalgar, London?

Just booked a GLONP2 for 6 free nights at the Trafalgar in London in March. Our daughter is spending a semester abroad at Kingston University (music major) and we are going to visit her (and Paris too, as long as we are "over the pond".
Anyhow, we have discovered that the Trafalger has no lounge , but I have not heard if they give free breakfasts to Gold members (just got mine back after spending $20K on the Hilton Amex. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, the HHonors people told us that the rooms are very small, and there was no chance that we could put in a rollaway bed or cot in case our son wanted to visit us while we were over there. This suprised us, but the web site seems to bear this out. Are the rooms that small? We chose the Trafalgar because the location seems to be ideal, right in the center of everything!
Would appreciate any info, as well as unusual sightseeing tips in London.

DD
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
I have not heard if they give free breakfasts to Gold members
That's only because you haven't looked very hard:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...breakfast+gold
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Upgrade Me

Thanks for the helpful threads. I did search, but I guess my searching abilities need some work. When I searched for Trafalgar, I got a lot of hits about Trafalgar Square, but little on the hotel.

In one of the responses in the threads, it stated that the Trafalgar gave a room upgrade OR a free breakfast. Shouldn't it be both? Another response seemed like they got both (but I think this was in 2001).

DD
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:56 pm
SST

It USED to be both. Now it's either/or, and let me tell you---- The Trafalgar will set it up to THEIR benefit.

I've stayed there four or five times. My latest involved getting to the hotel mucho early, like 730 am due to a 6am flight arrival, and I was told the hotel was full, no Diamond upgrade, I'd be given free breakfasts instead. Since I've *stayed in* most of the category rooms they've got, I know that upgrades are no great shakes (the lowest rooms are pretty nice), and I'd much rather have the breakfasts.

I told them this was fine. They told me to come back at 3 for my room, which I did. On returning, I was told I was being given an upgraded room. I told them I'd rather have the breakfasts I was offered. No, I'm sorry, they said, we have only THIS room, the hotel is full, and I'm afraid it's an upgraded room.

Well, if it was upgraded, you got me. It was small. It was the lowest category room I've had, it was on floor 2, but it WAS on the Trafalgar Sq side of the building. Want to know why THIS room suddenly was available? BECAUSE Trafalgar Square was closed off for a SNOWBOARDING CHAMPIONSHIP and it ran noise until midnight or later, and the bar was rented out for the teen-somethings and their guests to PARRRRR-TAYYYY on into the night after the event, and then in the halls near our room until 4am, necessitating a call from me to finally shut it down then.

Beats me why the desk wants to put Hilton's Diamond level guests into a situation like this, but since it'd be the third and last night of the event, my guess is that the previous occupants of the room absolutely flatly refused to stay unless they were given another room, thus Mr. SST and Mrs. SST, both Diamonds, were stuffed inside it and hey, the Trafalgar didn't have to buy them breakfast on top! ALMOST everyone is happy!

Yours truly approached the idiot desk clerk and explained the next am that he had difficulty sleeping, and when she said essentially too bad asked to see the manager, and was promptly given free breakfasts for his troubles "on an exception basis" (but, I should note, only the "continental breakfast", the cheapsters, which, btw, is fine with me--- I'm not dead set on eggs every morning.)

SO, I guess I mean to tell you that yes, they will be tight with the breakfasts, and no, I'm deciding I like the Waldorf and the Paddington more and more, 'cause the Trafalgar is just too hip for me....... Funny, I like "W" hotels a LOT. Too bad there's not one in London..... yet.....

Last edited by SST; Dec 21, 2005 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 22, 2005, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Thanks for the info SST, I have been tempted to stay at the Trafalgar many times, but haven't been able to justify to myself paying 3 times the rate as ar the Metropole with no lounge etc. Have you ever spoken to the manager there about these cheapskate shenanigans? I have to say if I was in the same situation and found that my room overlooked such an "event" I would have refused to stay and found alternative accomodation elsewhere. You can stay at the majority of hotels in central London for the same rate or less as that at the Trafalgar.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:02 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
In one of the responses in the threads, it stated that the Trafalgar gave a room upgrade OR a free breakfast. Shouldn't it be both?
Breakfast is an official benefit only in the U.S. and Canada.

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...vip_membership

Maybe if Hilton Hotels (US) succeeds in taking over Hilton Group (non-US) this will change:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505208
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:12 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I have received upgrades AND breakfast as a HH Gold at:

Hilton Paddington
Hilton Metropole
Hilton Mews (is it still a Hilton??)
Hilton Green Park
Hilton Aldwych

The Trafalgar did not but fortunately my rate included breakkie. The Traf Hilton need an attitude adjustment-- they seem to forget they are not the only "hip" hotel in the city with the Sanderson, St. Martin's Lane, Metropolitan, SoHo Hotel, Covent Garden Hotel and even One Aldwych being WAY more stylish and hip.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:19 am
TCP

I guess people will pay for the 'hip' bit but the facilities are nil. Waldorf is better for similar money and treats HH better. Trafalgar's only real selling point is the location, but with the tube you are only a few minutes away from anything anywhere in London. If you plan to spenm time in the hotel, avoid. Im a fan of the Metropole, as HH you get breakfasts, lounge (free bar), and the tube station is across the road.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
You will get either and upgrade or breakfast at the Trafalgar. Remember NO LOUNGE.

Don't believe what they tell you about the roll-away. There are in fact rooms that can accommodate a roll-away. The room we stayed in did have space for a roll-away. I don't remember the exact room number, but it was on the 4th floor facing Trafalgar Square and perhaps 1 or 2 rooms away from the corner. It did not have the raised seating area at the window.

Here's my trip report from a little over a year ago -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352006.

We stayed at the Trafalgar for 6 nights and personally I wouldn't recommend it for that long, but that's my opinion YMMV.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:09 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask for room 205 or 305. They both face the Square and have two queens. They also have two other rooms with no view with the two queens. You have to call as you can't tell online these rooms exist.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Starwood-Platinum;
Diamond Benefits at London Trafalger

We are planning an award stay in two weeks at the Trafalger. Has any diamond recently stayed there on an award stay and if so were they upgraded and what breakfast options were offered? Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 3, 2006 at 9:50 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following milepost) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:01 pm
SST

Search for the latest threads and you'll find that I was there just before T'Giving (11/24 for non-US), and had the hotel first offer b'fast, then take that away claiming they gave me an upgraded room. The room I got was vacated by some other guest, who refused to stay in it due to noise. I would have preferred the b'fast. So I argued the next am, and they grudgingly gave me b'fast (cold).

It was not handled well by the hotel; I really felt they shoved us into a substandard accomodation situation. Some of the hotel staff are not too, well, professional. I have sort of concluded that we were treated not like valued repeat clients on our free stay; we were treated more as freeloaders. This is a growing concern with Hilton's top properties, one I've never felt much before.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM), HH Diamond, SPG Plat., PC Plat.
Just stayed there for two nights (4-6 Jan) on a very low rate. Booked two rooms (one for me, one for my mum (no status)). Got great upgrades for both rooms, free full breakfast AND some free drinks. Was treated very well.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by luxury
I have received upgrades AND breakfast as a HH Gold at:

Hilton Paddington
Hilton Metropole
Hilton Mews (is it still a Hilton??)
Hilton Green Park
Hilton Aldwych
There is NO Hilton "Aldwych." You must be referring to the Hilton Waldorf, which is located on the Aldwych.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.