Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Trafalgar St. James London, Curio Collection by Hilton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Trafalgar St. James London, Curio Collection by Hilton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:39 am
SST

I was there in December.

Do a search here; all the info is still good. Stayed on Floor 4 facing the square, so I can't comment on the bar noise except to say I heard nothing; cheap stays for non-Diamonds seem to be in small rooms facing the back. No noise problem there; bar is on the front (Trafalgar Sq) side.

Hotel screwed up my initial reservation and had me in a smoking room. It was bad; they quickly switched me to a perfect room. I like the hotel. Hip, clean, good location, great breakfast as a Diamond for free (not sure for Golds).
Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided years ago any and all "reviews" from CondeNast Travel are totally "fluff".

MisterNice
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Stayed there for the last 2 nights of our honeymoon. As a Diamond on points, we were given a 'deluxe' room on the 3rd (that's 4th in U.S. floors) with a decent view (partial square), but it was near the elevator.

It got quite loud in the hall one night - a crowd just seemed to gongregate there for no reason other than to wake us up I guess. The location of this place is great, but the hotel and clientelle were a little too 'metro' for our tastes.

The breakfasts were great - only about $9 USD to upgrade to the full breakfast for both of us. They gave us the free continental.

I'd ask for a quieter room or probably opt for a place that's a little more quiet and comfortable next time.

[This message has been edited by FlyinMike (edited Feb 26, 2004).]
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:28 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinMike:
... but it was near the elevator.

It got quite loud in the hall one night - a crowd just seemed to gongregate there for no reason other than to wake us up I guess. ...</font>

One of the keys to a decent stay at the Trafalgar seems to be getting a room as far as possible from the lifts. You may still get noise from an adjacent room or the hallway, but you can kiss sleep goodbye if you're close to the lift.

Street noise doesn't seem to be a problem on the Cockspur Street side (based on my limited experience). (The other side of the Trafalgar faces an office block where people are doing busy things quietly.)
Rich
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:57 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
London Trafalgar Review

Just came back from a weekend trip to London. Stayed at the London Trafalgar Hilton. If you're a first time visitor, the closest tube station is Charing Cross (you will need to transfer from the Piccadily line). Piccadily Circus is the closest tube station on the Piccadily line leading to the airport. From the airport to the hotel on the tube (zone 6 to 1), the cost is 3.8 pounds.

The hotel does not have any visual signage that indicates it as a Hilton. When you get to Spring Gardens, look for "Trafalgar", that will be your clue to the hotel.

The hotel deco is very modern, on par with W but with more wood and brigher colors. The lobby staff was efficient and provided me a room on the 4 floor overlooking the square and the Canadian Consulate.

Interestingly, the agent said that I wouldn't be getting breakfast for my net saver rate (even though I'm a diamond).

My room is a pretty decent size with a nice designed bathroom, a bedroom and a sitting area (separated by 3 steps). I wouldn't consider this a suite (just a more deluxe room)

The bathroom amenities were quite nice. They use the "pure" brand which is on par with Molton Brown. I couldn't take the amenities with me though, they cost 9 pounds.

At night, the hotel lobby turns in to a bar. The music is loud. I can imagine people staying on the 1st and 2nd floor not being happy with the music.

The hotel door closes at 1am. You will need to ring the bell to get someone to open the door for you.

I can't comment on the exercise room (don't think there is one) or the restaurant.

If anyone need more information, e-mail me.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:39 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
Interestingly, the agent said that I wouldn't be getting breakfast for my net saver rate (even though I'm a diamond). ...
</font>
Especially in the winter months, the cheapest rate can sometimes be the all inclusive that includes breakfast and tax. This eliminates any tug-of-war over breakfast, too.

In contradiction to some other reports, breakfast isn't that good at the Tralfalgar. Unless it's raining buckets, it's a pleasant walk to some more desirable place such as Pâtisserie Valerie in Soho.
Rich
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Apparently at many UK properties, it is either an upgraded room or breakfast for elite HHonors members. I had some concern with the bathroom amenities that since they were large full-sized bottles - what do they do - just keep refilling them? That would become rather unsanitary after a while.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:52 am

I had the same concerns over the soap bottles.
I wouldn't be surprised if they refill them.

As to the breakfast, I thought we are guaranteed that.

Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have extensive experience of this property:

1) Pretty much all their front desk people know that Diamonds get free breakfast. You must have gotten the new one (most probably Joe who recently transferred there from reservations).

2) They call it a "multi level" room,and do not advertise it as a suite.

3) Refilling the amenities is against British and EU health laws. When they first stuck those cards in the robes, I asked about it. You can take the amenities and there is no charge. I do agree that it is not written well. the card is meant to tell you taht if you want to "order" more, that is the price.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
We checked out this Hilton last August and were not impressed. It is right by Trafalger Square which is nice as you can make short visits to the National Gallery and Portrait Gallery: they have free admittance and some pretty good restaurants. We didn't like the lobby--it's open, large and cold. Went up to the roof for drinks at that bar[a fair city view] and found that the area was so small that there were only about three tables, all taken and some bar stools with no real bar. I much prefer the Green Park although it isn't new.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the Green Park rooms are okay since the renovation, I would shudder to saty there in August as they have no AIRCON.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
While the Green Park rooms are okay since the renovation, I would shudder to saty there in August as they have no AIRCON.</font>
Welcome to Europe
Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:50 am

Does the hotel has any suites at all? I didn't specificially request one as I was already happy with a room on the 4th floor and a view of Trafalgar Square.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:29 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Question Award Stay Upgrade Strategy

Hello All,

Have a GLON2P for next month at the Trafalgar London. This is a 10 day 20th anniversary trip so trying to make it top notch (F on UA, etc.). The room type in the reservation is "Double Hilton Guestroom". Anyone have suggestions on how to secure a deluxe (more deluxe) room for the 6 nights stay with extra $$$? The last 4 nights are at the Renaissance Chancery Court. I am HH Gold, no status at Marriott anymore.

Would a phone call/email to the general manager or note in reservation record make any difference?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 3:02 pm

Oops. Sorry for the duplicate.

Last edited by hhonorman; Jul 20, 2004 at 3:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.