Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Manchester Deansgate {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Manchester Deansgate {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
My last visit to the lounge was awful. It was a monday night before valentines. Full of couples dogging alcohol and descending on the food like locusts. It was truly horrific and embarrassing to be British as visitors looked on with shock.
Yeah I forgot to mention there was a sign on front desk as I was checking out that said " upgrade to an executive room with executive benefits for £30 ", so obviously when hotel not busy they happy upgrade every tom dick and harry to exec for cheap price, hence lounge becomes a zoo of folk that see it as a free bar!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Pjh104
Did you look down?

The Executive Lounge has gone through a number of iterations of service. One of the reasons spirits may have gone was the tendency of those in the Lounge at the weekend to cane it before going out - more than once we have seen people filling wineglasses with vodka.

When in Manchester and looking for somewhere to eat, Yelp is your friend. Our most recent trip involved a visit to Bundobust.
Yeah I did look down, haha, always amuses me that hole in the floor!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I stayed here for one night this week and will be in no hurry to return. I'm now back in the Doubletree, which is much nicer.

I arrived close to midnight so got the night-time reception staff - and it showed. No recognition of diamond status. No room upgrade. Just grumpiness. After a lot of faffing around I got my key and went to my room. It was dirty - someone else's hair in the wash basin. So back to reception and a full 30 minutes after arriving I finally get into a clean room, only to find it's an accessible room with an interconnecting door. TBH I was too tired to change again so I stayed in it.

In the morning my room key didn't work on the exec lounge - which I was only visiting to see the view and the hole in the floor - so I had quite a wait until the attendant opened it for me. The only plus-point was breakfast in the restaurant which was excellent.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Any updates here? Benefits for Diamond/ upgrade expectations? Doubletree or Hilton? Thank you.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Any updates here? Benefits for Diamond/ upgrade expectations? Doubletree or Hilton? Thank you.
Stayed last weekend and upgraded from basic room to Exec Room - am Diamond so included Lounge.

Staying tonight and online check in already shows same upgrade.

Hotel is fine. The lounge has a great view, but the hotel are milking the cash cow. The lounge is basically all reserved and full on a weekend afternoon for overspill of their Cloud bar customers having afternoon tea. Loudly.

Then when Exec lounge drinks (Prosecco, wine and beer - only Sol was drinkable) finish at 8, it becomes another overspill area for Cloud 23, so your lounge key card won't work after 8. Don't expect to pop back for a soft drink or tea etc before bed.

Parking is £20 next door at Great Northern - but don't follow the signs for pedestrian exit, just follow your nose back out from Level 2 to the street where the hotel is.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
The Great Northern parking is pretty much the most expensive in Manchester. Quite a few options a short (less than 5 mins) walk away for circa £5 per day if you don't have too much luggage with you.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:18 pm
cjd

Still expensive, but on our last few visits, the hotel validates the parking ticket which gives a discount off the £20 daily charge. Think it was a £3 discount?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:17 am

Stayed again at the weekend. Received same upgrade. Lounge very busy again, so get there before 5.45pm if you want a window seat. Parking with a validated hotel ticket is £20.XX at Great Northern. They've increased valet parking to £40!

Stayed at Doubletree the next night. I think i prefer it. Breakfast was better, preferred having a choice of drink in the nice bar and it's better located to the area of the city I prefer, i.e Northern Quarter / Ancoats.

Have changed a cancellable stay in a few weeks to the Doubletree.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Stayed again at the weekend. Received same upgrade. Lounge very busy again, so get there before 5.45pm if you want a window seat. Parking with a validated hotel ticket is £20.XX at Great Northern. They've increased valet parking to £40!

Stayed at Doubletree the next night. I think i prefer it. Breakfast was better, preferred having a choice of drink in the nice bar and it's better located to the area of the city I prefer, i.e Northern Quarter / Ancoats.

I'm currently torn between the two hotels you mention so interesting to read your thoughts. I've stayed at the Deansgate twice before and thought it was a nice hotel but for my upcoming dates it's £50 more and I'm not sure it's worth that.
As a gold do you know what I could expect at both of the hotels? I was silver last time I was at the Deansgate and got a chocolate/fruit plate in the room.
The only thing the Deansgate has going for it is the location - the event I'm attending is at Manchester Central.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Geoggy

Originally Posted by S_W_S
I'm currently torn between the two hotels you mention so interesting to read your thoughts. I've stayed at the Deansgate twice before and thought it was a nice hotel but for my upcoming dates it's £50 more and I'm not sure it's worth that.
As a gold do you know what I could expect at both of the hotels? I was silver last time I was at the Deansgate and got a chocolate/fruit plate in the room.
The only thing the Deansgate has going for it is the location - the event I'm attending is at Manchester Central.
I prefer the DT as well tbh. Deansgate is nice but I personally feel the DT is a bit more consistent overall. There’s no lounge but as @Geoggy said the other day it’s pretty much taken over as soon as happy hour is done.

The only thing I’d say is if you are a light sleeper avoid the lower floor rooms at the back of the DT as the dip down into Piccadilly for the trams is right behind the hotel and you can hear them rumbling past a bit.

I’d definitely agree with you that the £50 difference isn’t worth it.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20

I prefer the DT as well tbh. Deansgate is nice but I personally feel the DT is a bit more consistent overall. There’s no lounge but as @Geoggy said the other day it’s pretty much taken over as soon as happy hour is done.

The only thing I’d say is if you are a light sleeper avoid the lower floor rooms at the back of the DT as the dip down into Piccadilly for the trams is right behind the hotel and you can hear them rumbling past a bit.

I’d definitely agree with you that the £50 difference isn’t worth it.
it's a tricky one, I've stayed around 5 times at Deansgate and it's always been nice, I love the view from the lounge and the offerings when I was there were quite good if I remember correctly, however there are many reports of it becoming a zoo on tripadvisor and the early closing is crap.
Is it worth £50 more?......nope, but would I pay it regardless?.....probably just for that view, oh and a few glasses of prosseco.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deansgate have a new Front Office Manager since the start of the year and he has a good reputation for treating Diamonds well. Perhaps recognition will improve.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by wizla

it's a tricky one, I've stayed around 5 times at Deansgate and it's always been nice, I love the view from the lounge and the offerings when I was there were quite good if I remember correctly, however there are many reports of it becoming a zoo on tripadvisor and the early closing is crap.
Is it worth £50 more?......nope, but would I pay it regardless?.....probably just for that view, oh and a few glasses of prosseco.
Yes in the UK at least I don’t think there are many better views from lounges that I can think of. I probably shouldn’t give them ideas but given that they are turning the lounge over to revenue earning on a frequent basis I’m surprised they haven’t found somewhere else for the lounge and permanently extended the bar.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by chrism20

Yes in the UK at least I don’t think there are many better views from lounges that I can think of. I probably shouldn’t give them ideas but given that they are turning the lounge over to revenue earning on a frequent basis I’m surprised they haven’t found somewhere else for the lounge and permanently extended the bar.
​​​​​​
thats a really good point, apparently they've done that at Hilton Liverpool, moved executive lounge to ground floor and the old lounge is now a cocktail bar open to everyone and it's open very late so I'm told......probably not a good idea to choose a room on that floor when staying.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S
When I was gold, I never got any upgrades at Deansgate. Been upgraded 2/2 in recent stays as Diamond.

Deansgate is clearly close to where your function is so that might swing it? If the £50 difference included lounge access and being closer to the venue it might be worth it as you could probably drink £50 in a few hours, which is what most of the people using the lounge on a weekend look like they are trying to do. Once chap had 4 bottles of opened Sol on his table at 7.55pm last week.

If the £50 difference does not include lounge access then maybe Doubletree is better. Its probably a good 15 minute walk to Deansgate from there but not too much in an Uber.

I didn't feel like I got much of an upgrade at Doubletree, but then i'm fussy about bed size. I booked the basic Queen and they offered me a Superior Queen, which would have been nice but I generally ask for a King bed as im 6ft3, so I just got a basic King room. But it was fine, bed was comfy.

'Im at Blackpool this Friday as I try to hit my Diamond challenge nights. Can't imagine i'll get anything there as I need twin beds as I have my son with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.