Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
Faced with a similar situation last Nov, we opted to use 35K more points (ouch!) for an extra night. Had a *great* time, tho, so no complaints!

-KP
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:40 am

mikem,
I'm looking into using FF miles to fly 5 of of us via CO from Newark ti HWV and staying at one of the suggested hotels using HH points. Any pointers? I'm looking at the July timeframe.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:02 am

I haven't been able to find any availability on Continental to Hawaii from May - September. I hope that has changed.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:32 am

You could try Priceline, but there is no guarantee that you would get the HVW. According to the biddingfortravel.com messageboard, you have a 50% chance as it lists the HWV and the Hapuna Beach Prince as the only 2 hotels that have come up in the resort category of the Kamuela area (it doesn't mean others can't as well, but highly unlikely since noone has posted it to their board). I know people have gotten rooms as low as $130 - $140 at HWV when using Priceline.

[This message has been edited by edg1 (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:21 am

HWV Questions

gold member who has some questions about HWV. I did some searches but didn't find the answers to the following.

Why is Ocean Tower better then Lagoon Tower?

Where is the breakfast servered for the free coupons?

Where is the lounge for afternoon snacks and drinks. Should I receive access to the lounge if I get breakfast coupons?

Should I expect an upgrade? Will we get oceanview or should I ask for that?

Anything else I should ask for when emailing asking for 2 rooms to be together?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:10 am

The Ocean Tower used to house the executive lounge, and more or less guaranteed an ocean view. The Lagoon Tower has slightly larger rooms and is a shorter walk from the lobby/entrance. It is also closer to more kid-friendly activities (large pool)

I'd think the Ocean Tower is more couple oriented, while the Lagoon Tower is more family oriented.

Breakfast Certs are usable at either the Palm Terrace or the Orchid Cafe.

You probably won't get access to the lounge & certs. One or the other.

To be honest, I wouldn't EXPECT an upgrade as a gold member but would definitely ask for one before your arrival and while checking in. Reading the posts here, it seems like 80% of VIP members get some sort of upgrade.

Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

We were there a couple of weeks ago. We got rooms in the ocean tower and I would recommend them to anyone. (Turned down an offered upgrade to a suite for them).

They have a lot of partial ocean views and garden views. They do not have many deluxe ocean views - and of these - if you are too high (8th floor) or too low (1st or 2nd floor) the view simply isn't that good.

We were on the 4th I think - room looked directly out on the ocean - we watched whales play every morning.

We really enjoyed breakfast at the Palm Court. Sat by the water and watched the fish and swans each morning - it was wonderful. The overall food quality was fantastic there (just avoid the eggs of course). Do not miss the coconut and cheese danish - out of this world - with time to reflect - certainly the best I've ever had.

Somehow we ended up paying almost nothing and we all (4 of us, 2 rooms - 2 weeks) had the full breakfast almost every day (there was a minimal charge from the resturant when I checked out 30-40).

I would strongly encourage you to consider getting the best view possible - then go after room size. We loved early morning on the balcony and late nights with a lava flow listening to the surf.

We frequently ordered snacks poolside - I found it best to call them in on my cell phone. Given that - service was fine. I would also suggest dim sum at the chineese place on the terrace - wonderful view and late night drinks at KPC ocean side (one of the finest night time dining views I've ever had).

Overall - there is far, far better food quality elsewhere on the island.

Any questions - let me know.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:30 pm

Howdy,

...an amendment...

We liked the ocean tower - but as I said, next time I go - I will first worry about my upgrade, second worry about room size and third location. (We may be the only people on earth who enjoyed the walks and did not find it difficult to get around at all however).

Ocean tower was quiet. Loved the smaller pools and slides there as well. And as I've said - the Palm Terrace was quite nice for breakfast.

We did spend time at the large pool, but the walk was quick, I think I timed it with my son at 8 minutes (cutting across the beach in front). And as I've said - I don't mind walking.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKEM:
Just looked on the Hilton web sight for an extra night. the cheapest for August 24, is $350. How can I get a better rate in the low $200's?

I need this specific date because I'm using ailine reward tickets for my whole family, my wife and I + two teen ladies.
</font>
have ou called the hotel to see what price they would do ??

we have successfully done that w/ Hiltons in other locations...

Old Mar 6, 2003, 3:43 pm

Wish I were there right now...

Location is important, as I've mentioned in another thread, if the birds happen to be hanging out by your room. Avoid lower number Ocean tower rooms that overlook the Palm Terrace (xx40 and below). At least when we were there last week, the hundreds of birds making noise at 3:30 am were very annoying. Lagoon tower apparently sometimes has similary problems, according to the front desk, who did move us to the front part of the Ocean tower.

jb
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stevedud:
mikem,
I'm looking into using FF miles to fly 5 of of us via CO from Newark ti HWV and staying at one of the suggested hotels using HH points. Any pointers? I'm looking at the July timeframe.
</font>
Stevedud,
I found the airfare to be the most difficult part to book. I'm a Premier Exec. on UAL and could only get the end of August for availability, and I booked this in December. It may be easier on CO.

Getting the HWV as a HH Diamond was easy. I did this in December also at the Diamond Desk. If you are going in July, you better move soon.

Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by squeakr:
have ou called the hotel to see what price they would do ??

we have successfully done that w/ Hiltons in other locations...

</font>
Squeakr,

I just called the HWV on your advise. They gave me an extra night for $220. I'm very pleased. Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKEM:
Squeakr,

I just called the HWV on your advise. They gave me an extra night for $220. I'm very pleased. Thanks for the tip.
</font>
glad to help. I have had very good experiences w/ hiltons in many US cities - even when I have a priceline stay and need another night!
Old Mar 7, 2003, 5:34 am

We leave next week for an ALON stay at the HWV. We also received a welcome letter earlier this week from HWV along with luggage tags. I have a question about cell phone reception on the Big Island. Our cell phone service is with Alltel and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten good reception there with Alltel. Any tips would be appreciated. Aloha
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:24 am

Howdy,

My wife, myself and my mother-in-law all used Verizon - we had no reception problems at all. Our phones appeared to work all over the big island (and Honolulu).

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.