Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2002, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
Fly into Kona - KOA
UA has non-stops to KOA out of SFO

Car rentals have been much more expensive than they usually are. I always rent a 4WD because I can then turn off the highway on the lava- and rut-filled roads to explore empty beaches. A lot of time the SUVs have some type of cockroach in them though so be prepared to set off a bug bomb (agencies will reimburse you if you save your receipt).

Enjoy!
</font>
Are you serious about setting off a bug bomb?
Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:15 am

Anyone have a Waikoloa update?

Hi there! I know there have a been a ton of posts on the Waikola village and I've read ALL of them.

We are heading there in 2 weeks for the start of our honeymoon, and I was wondering if anyone has been there recently? Was it difficult to get an upgrade? To get an Ocean Tower Room? To get executive lounge access?

As hilton golds (both of us) what should we ask for at check in? I think they know that we're honeymooners....

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 15, 2002, 11:32 am

Congratulations on your wedding. We just returned from this property and it was incredible. Windy, but incredible. We were upgraded to an ocean view room, but booked a garden view room as a Gold. The place did not seem crowded due to the size and the layout of the grounds. Beautiful ocean views from the area behind the lagoon, however not much of a beach. We received breakfast coupons for all 4 of us for the 3 days that we were there. The restaurant near the pool, opposite the ocean tower, was recommended by the check-in person. We were able to order from the menu and pay the difference.
This is one of the nicest Hilton's that I have stayed in. About 30 minutes from Kona, lots of restaurants there.
Hope this helps and have a great time.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:15 pm

Waikoloa bound a week from today and also looking forward to some R&R. Congrats on the marriage and I will post upon our return.

* Do they let you toast marshmallows over the lava flow?

------------------
AA..just plain old Platinum
Delta: Lead Medallion
AOL IM# bobcharlap
email:[email protected]
Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You'll need a 6-foot stick. That lava is really, really hot. Several years ago I walked out (less than 100 yards!) to the flow, which was active a few feet beneath the surface with red lava extruding here and there. My sneakers started smelling like burning rubber and the lava was too hot to approach closer than 6 feet. Impressive.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:00 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You'll need a 6-foot stick. That lava is really, really hot. Several years ago I walked out (less than 100 yards!) to the flow, which was active a few feet beneath the surface with red lava extruding here and there. My sneakers started smelling like burning rubber and the lava was too hot to approach closer than 6 feet. Impressive.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:01 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:14 pm

OK.....I got it........a.......six......foot.....stick!

Just kidding, see what happens when you hit "submit Reply too many times!

------------------
AOL IM# bobcharlap
Old Jul 19, 2002, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Just got back today from a six night stay! Loads of fun.

We received a room in the Ocean Tower...had a nice north view of ocean and golf course...you could see both the sunrise and the sunset!

We were told the executive lounge was full, and that the breakfast food was better in the restaurants.

There were 4 of us and they gave us 24 breakfast coupons. She mentioned they were usable in the Orchid Cafe so we ended up trekking over there every morning, until the final day when we finally realized that they were also usable at the restaurant in our own Ocean Tower!
Old Jul 19, 2002, 6:16 pm

Watchful, we head there on Monday!
Feel like passing along some info?

What were some of your side trips?
Volcano..beaches..snokeling?
Restaurant recomendations?

thanks,

Bob

------------------
AOL IM# bobcharlap
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:47 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Isn't this the property that has the boats that take you to your own huts too?
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:47 pm

got back from last month. HIGHLY recommend "the big island revealed" book. best travel guide ever (even published a new edition last month). run to your nearest bookstore. everything was dead-on in it, except AVOID the Chinese retaurant in the King's Shops, and eat at Roy's at least once (loved the dim sum at the Hilton for lunch, and it's affordable). also, if you stay at the Hilton, take the 5 min. drive north to see the Mantas at night at the Orchid. nice, romantic hotel. have a drink and relax.

and as i posted in a previous post-- do not sweat not getting exec lounge as long as you get bkfast coupons. you ain't missing much, unless you like cheating honor bars and having birds climb all over your food.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BobCharlap:

thanks,

Bob

</font>
Old Jul 20, 2002, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just a reminder.

Aloha
Old Jul 20, 2002, 2:15 am

I love dolphin quest and horse back riding at Waipio Valley.
Dolphin quest is nice for both children and adult.
Horse back riding at Waipio Valley is the best thing to do at Hawaii Is for me.
You need only $60,and get beautiful and exciting time.
You may feel old Hawaiian winds.
However,you should go to Waipio by car.

I recommend you should go to Waipio!!!
Old Jul 20, 2002, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BobCharlap:

thanks,

Bob

</font>
The lava flows were spectacular. I am glad now that I decided to add two nights in Volcano Village to the 6 nights at the Hilton. That way we had much more time at the national park. The hike to the lava this week was much easier than some guidebooks say as the lava flow is quite a bit closer to the end of the road than before. We went in the morning and at night.

We snorkeled at four different places -- first, the lagoon at the hotel. Then at Hapuna Beach (about 7 miles north). At A-Bay, the one you can walk to from the hotel. Then one day we went south of Kona to the beach near Honaunau, right next to the national historical park - City of Refuge, which we also toured. (We had a car, obviously!) All very enjoyable.

Our food approach was to eat a big breakfast (using the vouchers for Hilton Gold), munch in the room for lunch, and then eat out one meal a day. All food is quite a bit higher on the Big Island. Even in the grocery stores. If you go to Hilo, go to Cafe 100, a local institution for great prices.

If you have a Costco card, you really can get at hot dog and soft drink for $1.50 there. Hot dogs were like 8 bucks at the hotel!

We did the Waipio Valley on horseback, which was really spectacular.

The 2 kids (18 & 14) did the dolphin experience which we had reserved 60 days in advance. It was pricey, but they loved it. We also bought the Red Sail package which included a sail and free use of snorkeling equipment, fins, kayaks, etc. for length of stay.

Our one big "eat out" at the hotel was Donatoni's which we really enjoyed. We let our 18 year old pick which place to eat. We also ate at Roy's, which was really good. The kids also wanted to eat at Bubba Gump's in Kona, and we did the Royal Kona luau which we had heard was much better than the big show at the hotel.

Wife & son really enjoyed the petroglyph tour which takes place down at King's Shops. Be sure and look over the schedule of activities early on.

I guess I would recommend a good rhythm between just relaxing on property and being sure to get out a bit and see the island! I also highly recommend the book "Big Island Revealed."

ENJOY!

(We did spend our first night in Honolulu. I had forgotten about the 20,000 HH points for touring the timeshare at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I probably would have made the wife do this if I had remembered! We did go see the USS Arizona before our flight to Kona.)

[This message has been edited by Watchful (edited 07-20-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.