Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Thanks for all the input

Gosh I love FT - wonderful that this much discussion can be generated in barely a day.

I concur that if there are items of this thread that belong in the main Waikoloa thread then mods please feel free to merge. However, that thread is pretty long and I didn't want this recent activity to get burried at the bottom there.

I did hear back from the GM and it's looking like we'll likely meet on Friday.

Yes, I am planning to share comments from this discussion. Feel free to post here, or PM me with the info if you prefer.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Ed ONeill

Yes, I am planning to share comments from this discussion. Feel free to post here, or PM me with the info if you prefer.
Ed,

I wish you well in your upcoming meeting. I strongly recommend that you make a study of the Gold elite benefits prior to your meeting as it is my view that the hotel is living up to the letter of their obligations under the program:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/gold.do

None of us like change and I think that the hotel could make some compromises regarding elite recognition along the lines of the Conrad Maldives

Conrad Maldives Benefits:

Due to the very special nature of the accommodations at the Conrad Maldives we are unable to offer upgraded accommodations. However, we are delighted to offer Diamond VIPs a choice of either VIP Package 1 or 2, during your stay:

VIP Package 1

* Daily breakfast for member and one guest in either Atoll Market or Vilu restaurant
* One bottle of wine*
* One half-day excursion for member and one guest (a choice of Mandhoo Island Tour, Dhoni Sunset Cruise, or Snorkeling Safari)
* Deluxe fruit basket upon arrival

VIP Package 2

* Daily happy hour beverages* (Vilu or Rangali Bar)
* One bottle of wine*
* One half-day excursion for member and one guest (a choice of Mandhoo Island Tour, Dhoni Sunset Cruise, or Snorkeling Safari).
* Conrad branded merchandise upon departure
The important thing for me is to know what to expect so that I can make an informed decision.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
None of us like change and I think that the hotel could make some compromises regarding elite recognition along the lines of the Conrad Maldives
Haven't we been there?

The Conrad Maldives gives ZERO elite recognition and is very bad example. Their pseudo elite packages are included on the "paid" stay, although Hilton reimburses them $450/night for award stays.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Haven't we been there?

The Conrad Maldives gives ZERO elite recognition and is very bad example. Their pseudo elite packages are included on the "paid" stay, although Hilton reimburses them $450/night for award stays.
All I am suggesting is that the hotel let us know what to expect.

At least with the Conrad Maldives, an elite knows precisely what to expect and can make s decision to either go there, or go somewhere else.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I don't think this is true. AFAIK, Hotels are reimbursed by HHonors for award stays, so they do receive actual cash compensation. That's why they require an award certificate when checking in.
Ive received many a statement under my door or simply saw how many pts I got (divide by 10 for Rate the Hotel got) and numerous times it was well below $100 while the cheapest rate was over $250when I booked it as an award stay

My main thought is theres a difference between what a Hotel Must give us as Elite Benefits and what they were doing. Also nickel and diming usually is done to all, eg having to pay for self-parking at the HWV. many hotels are also either closing up their lounges or severly limiting the hrs and what they are giving.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Communication....

[QUOTE=Bondiboy;10880213}The important thing for me is to know what to expect so that I can make an informed decision.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. I said as much in my original phone call with Ms. Bishop.

If they are generally interested in increasing their business from Gold/Diamond patrons, then they have several examples from the popular properties discussed in the HHonors forum. Adopting those standards and communicating that with the community would undoubtedly increase interest.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:54 pm

I stayed there for the 10+ time this summer and had three rooms. We spent over $3,000 by eating in the hotel etc. It appears numerous people check in bootleg their beverages (as I did) then eat elsewhere. I appreciate the free stay, so I believe I need to spend some money there and we do. I have found that by the time you tip the valet cars people, drive a car at $4 a gallon, it makes little since to leave the hotel to save $10-$15 on dinner at least in the hotel, I get more points for it. My wife and I have always thought they should just require $100 per day in charges. If you stay 7 nights you have a guarantee of $700 you owe. Throw a meal every other day, a round of golf, maybe a shirt at the shops, couple of cold brews and how easy it would be to get there. I appreciate what Hilton has done for me eventhough they have raised those awards from 100,000 to 175,000 and eliminated numerous bonuses, I still have accumulated several million points, so it's a two way street. I have given them business and they have provided my family with some beautiful vacations at no cost. Ask what you can do for your Hotel program, and not what your hotel program can do for you. Isn't that what JFK said?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milesrus
I stayed there for the 10+ time this summer and had three rooms. We spent over $3,000 by eating in the hotel etc. It appears numerous people check in bootleg their beverages (as I did) then eat elsewhere. I appreciate the free stay, so I believe I need to spend some money there and we do. I have found that by the time you tip the valet cars people, drive a car at $4 a gallon, it makes little since to leave the hotel to save $10-$15 on dinner at least in the hotel, I get more points for it. My wife and I have always thought they should just require $100 per day in charges. If you stay 7 nights you have a guarantee of $700 you owe. Throw a meal every other day, a round of golf, maybe a shirt at the shops, couple of cold brews and how easy it would be to get there. I appreciate what Hilton has done for me eventhough they have raised those awards from 100,000 to 175,000 and eliminated numerous bonuses, I still have accumulated several million points, so it's a two way street. I have given them business and they have provided my family with some beautiful vacations at no cost. Ask what you can do for your Hotel program, and not what your hotel program can do for you. Isn't that what JFK said?
You have got to be kidding me

Besides that, how could you spend 3,000 in food at the hotel restaurants when a plethora of far better local dining establishments could make use of your spend?

Why not just send the hotel a $1,000 check every month for the hell of it?

Your stay wasn't free - you used points, which are a currency because you earned them by spending elsewhere. The hotel is reimbursed for the room cost. No one got anything for free, but it sounds like you wasted a lot of money.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:43 pm

BocaStephen, you probably won't see this for awhile as you must be driving to Washington seeking a bailout as it appears your one that the world owes you, for merely existing. I noticed your handle says Platinum Starwood and Gold Hilton for whatever that's worth. It appears your done with Hilton, so it's your wish to trash the chain. We all stay for different reasons. I have previously been a Platinum Starwood but had to give it up as to lack of properties in smaller cities. Still doesn't mean, I felt the need to trash them. I stayed at the Maui Westin last August and will be at the Sheraton Westin in July on points. As to 8 people spending $3,000 at Waikoloa, I'm not sure it's your place to decide why I should spend my money at the hotel or off property. We did a lot more than eat there. We did 1 or 2 Red Sail activities, golf etc. I Red Sail cruise alone I think was $500. The hotels are paid a nominal amount of points,The Hampton Inn in Branson gets $14 a night per award stay. That barely pays the maid service. Some chains pay on average roomrate. If these stories are right and the hotel is getting $250 a night and is 40 percent full then the average is $125. take all the flight crews, all the airplane package tours and I doubt the hotel gets much remimbursment. Then people like you go there and expect free rooms, free breakfast and you plan to eat off property and not spend a dime there, and you wonder why they get tired of freeloaders like you!

Last edited by milesrus; Dec 9, 2008 at 9:02 pm Reason: didnt type anything
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
I recently stayed 15 nights (Oct 31-Nov 15) at the HWV for work. I should (and will, at some point) comment with more depth, but I've never gotten myself to sit down and do it.

First, I think this thread should be merged into the general HWV thread. It is a long one, but ever since this spiralled away from the Original Poster's e-mail, it covers nothing that the updates in the HWV thread don't offer.

If the "insider" thread was true, in-demand HH reward places such as HWV are in a hard spot, in that the amount of their compensation from Hilton derives from their average occupancy rate. The HWV is too huge to get to the 90%(?) threshold in a market such as this, so it gets a smaller return per room, while it has a disproportionate amount of awards guests. Not that I'm knocking it; I'd go back for points, too.

My quick hits: The frontline staff is great all over; the grounds are lovely; had I experienced the benefits before they were taken away, I would have missed them now; they should probably close entire floors at this time.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BocaStephen, you probably won't see this for awhile as you must be driving to Washington seeking a bailout as it appears your one that the world owes you, for merely existing. I noticed your handle says Platinum Starwood and Gold Hilton for whatever that's worth. It appears your done with Hilton, so it's your wish to trash the chain. We all stay for different reasons. I have previously been a Platinum Starwood but had to give it up as to lack of properties in smaller cities. Still doesn't mean, I felt the need to trash them. I stayed at the Maui Westin last August and will be at the Sheraton Westin in July on points. As to 8 people spending $3,000 at Waikoloa, I'm not sure it's your place to decide why I should spend my money at the hotel or off property. We did a lot more than eat there. We did 1 or 2 Red Sail activities, golf etc. I Red Sail cruise alone I think was $500. The hotels are paid a nominal amount of points,The Hampton Inn in Branson gets $14 a night per award stay. That barely pays the maid service. Some chains pay on average roomrate. If these stories are right and the hotel is getting $250 a night and is 40 percent full then the average is $125. take all the flight crews, all the airplane package tours and I doubt the hotel gets much remimbursment. Then people like you go there and expect free rooms, free breakfast and you plan to eat off property and not spend a dime there, and you wonder why they get tired of freeloaders like you!
I'm not trashing anything - I've stayed at HWV quite a few times under its previous management. I've had great experiences at many other Hilton properties as well. My beef is with Hilton/Hhonors policy towards Golds - as mentioned before, they hand out Gold status to anyone with a pulse, then complain there are too many and cut back the benefits. A stupid business decision.

Your post is way off base. The reimbursement comes from Hilton for rooms sold for awards. Unlike SPG, where we're not subject to redemption restrictions, a Hilton property can restrict access to free rooms if it wants to offer more rooms for sale.

The reimbursement amount is between the property and Hhonors - it's not our job to make up the difference you personally perceive exists.

If you want to throw your money away by giving it to the hotel for absolutely no valid reason, then have fun - but to suggest we should all be stuck with a $100/day charge for our free room is beyond ludicrous. We already paid for those rooms by spending at other properties, or other channels to earn points.

If the HWV is unhappy with its participation in Hhonors and feels it's getting the shaft, they can leave the program and seek their fortunes independently or with another program.

A big for suggesting that anyone who redeems a free room and doesn't voluntarily dump cash at the hotel to make up for it is a free-loader. I guess you feel the hotel is a qualified charity of some sort.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
I very much enjoyed my (15-night) stay there, but had I experienced the previous Platinum benefits, I would have felt more burned this time around.

The plated breakfasts at Palm Terrace are good and filling. During my stay, they made the switch from the mandatory pastry-and-fruit breakfast to the five choices. The breakfast buffet was one-special-morning-great, but not $19-every-morning great. The coupons can also be used as $11 credits on any other breakfast item. Avoid the "E Como Mai" bare-bones breakfast buffet at the Lagoon Tower, unless you've got day-trip plans and don't want to wait to be served breakfast (or if you want to chance the attendant not asking for your voucher).

The frontline staff (especially the E Como Mai attendants) were always good, and I don't recall any poster saying otherwise.

The nickel-and-dime (and dollar)-ing drove me nuts. There is no other parking option for guests than on-property parking, so that's a pretty guaranteed $15/day bonus per reservation, unless you would rather pay ~$50 each way for a taxi ride to and from Kona airport. The staff will let you leave your vehicle at the front if you are making a quick in-and-out errand. Much nicer than having to park and walk.

The changes/cutbacks haven't been communicated well to staff, and materials in the rooms contain outdated information and prices. I walked to three different spots on the property trying to find the Big Island Orientation ("Oh, it's not here. Try..."). Concierge staff gave me differing answers about executive lounges, and the guest manual still advertises them. Fifty-minute massages jumped from $118 to $168 in less than a month (so ordering one for my fiancee went right out the window). Their luau, at $95, was the most expensive I have found on the Island. Its buffet was great, but I would ask locals for other options before settling on that again, especially as the troupe performs at other luaus on other days of the week.

I didn't dine at the sit-down restaurants, but the prices seemed in line with upper-middle island rates, and the menu items seemed nice, although my co-workers expressed displeasure with the quality of the Italian restaurant.

My fiancee had a basic room at the top floor of the Palace Tower, while I had a room overlooking the ocean and dolphins at the Lagoon Tower. There was no difference in furniture/appointments/layout between the towers, so picking a room is purely a matter of location/taste. I liked my room best, but the oceanview side was only on account of my Platinum status. My gold co-workers got the less picturesque side of the building.

On the last week my fiancee stayed there, boat and monorail service were down, which meant a 1/4-mile trek with suitcases to check out. Not fun. Find out if they're running during your stay.

I would certainly go back, but not for a long stay, at $205/night minimum.

Last edited by NewsBruin; Dec 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not trashing anything - I've stayed at HWV quite a few times under its previous management. I've had great experiences at many other Hilton properties as well. My beef is with Hilton/Hhonors policy towards Golds - as mentioned before, they hand out Gold status to anyone with a pulse, then complain there are too many and cut back the benefits. A stupid business decision.

Your post is way off base. The reimbursement comes from Hilton for rooms sold for awards. Unlike SPG, where we're not subject to redemption restrictions, a Hilton property can restrict access to free rooms if it wants to offer more rooms for sale.

The reimbursement amount is between the property and Hhonors - it's not our job to make up the difference you personally perceive exists.

If you want to throw your money away by giving it to the hotel for absolutely no valid reason, then have fun - but to suggest we should all be stuck with a $100/day charge for our free room is beyond ludicrous. We already paid for those rooms by spending at other properties, or other channels to earn points.

If the HWV is unhappy with its participation in Hhonors and feels it's getting the shaft, they can leave the program and seek their fortunes independently or with another program.

A big for suggesting that anyone who redeems a free room and doesn't voluntarily dump cash at the hotel to make up for it is a free-loader. I guess you feel the hotel is a qualified charity of some sort.
I can't agree more.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The Hampton Inn in Branson gets $14 a night per award stay.
Obviously the management of the Hampton Inn in Branson made a choice to affiliate with Hilton based on a sound financial analysis; and if he/she is not cash flowing at $14 a night in a low COL "city" like Branson, then he/she needs to re-evaluate. One thing he/she should not do is whine about how he/she is "only getting" stuff from Hilton.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:56 am

To clarify, I would have no problem being charged $600 ($100 a night) for a 175,000 award. You can spend it all in one day if you wish. The people are great there, the scenary is outstanding, the pools are the best in Hawaii, it is a far cry from being called a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn. Compare it to the Grand Wailea and they charge 80,000 a night if I went there on their six night award two rooms would be 720,000 points. I guess we just disagree which is OK. I just believe the Provision Company Restaurant that some waitors date back to the Hyatt is great especially outside. My wife and kids love Imari's good food and great entertainment. The hotel is trying, they just replaced the tram. Please remember this hotel built by Peter Heminger, as was the Grand Wailea, the Westin Kaui (now the Marriott) the Hyatt Maui, were suppose to be very high end properties. It was to have a 85% occupancy with a rate of $280 twenty years ago. Most of these hotels were built in the 80's with a booming Japanese economy they poured money into these ventures. Their economy tanked and Hilton got the hotel for 15 cents on the dollar. In the end we all get to enjoy these hotels with our points because of their misfortune. I am sure at $280 a night twenty years ago or in todays terms $500 a night they could provide all the ammenities some people believe they are entitiled to. I am grateful to live in this country and have the opportunity to visit the Hawaii islands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.