Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:13 am
cl_

I think it is a new charge

Just got back from there today - had a two night stay. Parking was free for me but I think this is going to change very soon.

On both Tuesday and Wednesday when I was leaving the parking lot there were workers installing a parking control system. In fact, when I pulled in on Tuesday night, the entrance side was done and I was trying to figure out if I had to swipe my room key or something, but quickly realized there was not yet a gate arm on the parking equipment. Wednesday morning they were working on the exit side. Looks like the installation could be finished by the end of the week.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:38 am
cl_

Originally Posted by jml1124

I called the hotel and they downplay the effects of what is going on -- nothing closed, will not get in the way of my vacation.

Hmmmmmmm. Wonder what to really expect....
Just returned from there. Stayed at the Palace Tower where there is one guy working on the fountain, and he has scaffold around it so he can access it, and some blue screen things, I guess to hide the work from some angles. The work is all hand work, and I never heard any noise. Looks like he is restoring the fountain or something.

Over at the pool by the Lagoon Tower, they are tearing up the flagstones. The work yesterday was near the part of the pool that has the children's beach and one of the bridges, over to the part overlooking the dolphin area. They were using handheld jackhammers to remove the flagstones, and in the immediate area, it was noisy. However, I never heard the noise at the Palace Tower, and you can also not hear the noise if you swim in the Lagoon Tower pool over by the waterfalls and even further over by the slide. I think the noise of the waterfall just drowns it out. I did not find the noise to be too terrible, but could see how some might object if you want to take your toddler to the kiddie sand pool area and have peace & quiet.

It appears that in many areas the flagstone has low spots, so it holds water and makes the area slippery. I noticed this in areas near the Lagoon Tower Pool and near the Ocean Tower pool, and am assuming this is what they are repairing.

On an amusing note, apparently the guys doing the work are a crew from Honolulu, and are staying in the Palace Tower. I saw a few of them on the elevator returning to their rooms after a days work. They are obviously not used to staying at a place like the HWV. I asked what the flagstone was being replaced with, and they explained their job is just to remove it, but one guy mentioned that it is really nice stuff, but he guessed they were going to replace it with diamonds to match the rest of the hotel!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:40 am
cl_

No towels for me...

Just had a two day stay at HWV for 2 adults, no kids. I was not sure what to expect after reading the posts here, and as I am NOT a fan of Disneyland was a bit nervous.

All in all I was pleased. However that is because I used a free night coupon for one of the nights; would have been quite disappointed with the service and situation if I had paid full price for both nights. See Cons below.

Pros:
+ Was supposedly "upgraded" to an "ocean view" (slight sliver glimpse over tops of trees would be more accurate) room. It was a nice room on the 7th floor of the Palace Tower.

+ Room was renovated, spacious, updated and clean with refrigerator and safe

+ Beautiful grounds

+ Interesting artwork

+ Apparently many activities, but see below

+ Gold breakfast consisted of fruit, pasteries, breads, cereal and juices, plenty for a hearty breakfast.

+ The bistro (?) by the Ocean Tower that stays open late has a good deal on the quesedias - about $10 for enough to fill you up (the other food was a very poor value)

+ There is a nice 15 minute walk south along the coast, from past the Lagoon Tower area to a very nice sandy beach where you can swim & snorkel (again, this is not something the hotel tells you about - I learned if from a Big Island guidebook)

+ We took the tram and boats once each for the experience, and then just walked everywhere. I did not think this was any problem, and am surprised at how many posts here complain about the tram service and how few people were actually walking.

+ We were told occupancy was low, and appreciated that it was not crowded. I could not imagine what this place must be like if it is crowded.

Cons:
- Check in was excruciating. I was told when I made the reservation that I could check in with just the free night coupon number, but that was not the case. Ended up getting the Honors desk on the phone to resolve it.

- At the end of check in, I asked about the Gold lounge breakfast, and she told me I did not qualify and simply just walked away to the back. Another clerk came from the back and asked if I had been helped. I told him I thought I was done checking in but was wondering about breakfast. He was very polite and showed me on the map where the Gold lounge was and gave me a card with the hours.

- Returning to the room the second afternoon I was surprised to find the room keys no longer worked. I had to go through the entire process again, and was told this was because I had a "back to back" reservation - one night paid and one night with a coupon. Seems like there ought to be a better way to handle this than locking guests out of their rooms, or at least I could have been warned this would happen and stop by the desk on my way back into the hotel, rather than go to the room, find out I was locked out, and then go back down to the staff desk.

- The hotel magazine (January to June 2006 edition) advertises complimentary stargazing/astronomy activity on Tuesday night from 8-10 pm. There is no number to call to sign up, and when I called the front desk, they said sign up is not necessary, just show up at the tennis courts. We planned our day around this, and showed up at the tennis courts around 9:15pm only to learn that the stargazing activity is $25 per person, you must sign up in advance, and it was cancelled because not enough people signed up.

- It was while learning that there was no Stargazing activity that we were given the weeks schedule of activities for the resort. As this was about 12 hours before our check out, it was a bit late, and I was quite miffed that we had not received this information earlier. There are activities on the weekly schedule that are not even mentioned in any of the room guides or magazines. Why do they not give this out at check in?

- At the Palace Tower, there is an incessant high pitched repeated squeaking noise that can be heard in the center courtyard and in the room. Fortunately, it cannot be heard over by the bed, so I was able to sleep.

- The adult pool near Ocean Tower closes at 4 pm, which we thought was ridiculous. We were out exploring the island all day long and arrived back at the resort after 4 pm.

- The cabana at the Ocean Tower pool also closes at 4 pm, after which there are no towels available unless you take a 15 minute hike over to the Lagoon Pool. Instead I went to one of the nearby staff desks to request towels, and was told it would be a few minutes. After 10-15 minutes they advised the towels had to come from a central location as there are none stocked at the Ocean Tower (what?). I said I was getting the extra towels from the room and would use those at the pool, and requested that the towels being delivered to the staff desk instead be sent to the room. That never happened. Later, on the way out to dinner, I again requested, this time from the staff station at the Palace Tower, that two extra towels be sent to the room. That never happened. The next morning I again requested my two elusive extra towels, and was assured they would be delivered in 15 minutes. Never happened. Two hours later we ended up using the towels we had used at the pool the previous evening, which by then were dry.

- We asked a staff member if there was a hot tub or jacuzzi, and were told you have to pay to get into the spa in order to use one. I later learned from one of the other guests that there are 2 jacuzzi pools over by the Lagoon Tower that are open to all guests. There do not appear to be any near the Ocean or Palace Towers.

- Much of the artwork is quite interesting, and some of it has some descriptive plaques. A few plaques were missing and we asked a staff member if there was any info on the art. We were told the plaques were not being replaced but we could buy a $20 book for a self guided tour of the artwork. Geeez.

- Many restaurants are advertised, however, two of them were closed due to the low occupancy after Memorial Day. The food at the Provision Company restaurant, while acceptable, was nothing special and overpriced.

- See other posts about construction (which did not bother me) and installation of parking equipment indicating they might soon charge to self park.

Overall, the facility is beautiful and relaxing, but the policies (no towels after 4 pm) and the staff (misinformation, etc) bring it down several notches - there were just too many incidents indicating staff apathy. The facility exceeded my expectations, but the service and policies fell short.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:26 pm

05-20 to 05-22 Stay

I just returned from a week in Hawa'ii and a 2 night stay at this resort. My review is mixed as well.

We checked in on a two night reward stay and was told we would be given a "deluxe mountain view" room in the palace tower. I had faxed a request for an upgrade to an ocean view a week before. I informed the desk clerk of that and she said that there were simply no other rooms available with two double beds. She also infomed me that "people who were actually paying" were in the better view rooms. This has always been a pet peeve with me becuase people spend an awful lot of $$ to get enough points for a free room.

When we arrived at our room it smelled like disinfectant and overlooked a construction site. The smell was pretty strong. In addition the fountian in the lobby was under construction with scaffolding and buckets everywhere and the concierge was missing from the lobby. I wasn't too happy.

I called the front desk and spoke with a nice young woman named Mindy (she was a front desk manager) she agreed with most of my points, particularly with the comment by the front desk clerk about paying vs. award customers. Apparently they are instructed not to say that because the hotel "values" their HHonors customers.

She had us moved to the lagoon tower with a partial ocean view (amazing how they found a room they didn't have). We were happy with that and went and had a nice dinner at the provisional co., I had red snapper and thought it was quite good. The next morning we went into town and had breakfast at Dennys.

This proved to be a really bad idea, at 4:30 p.m. I got violently ill with food posioning. I didn't make it to the bathroom the first time and had to call housekeeping to deal with part of the clean up. They were VERY nice and VERY understanding. I remained very ill unitl about 1:00 a.m.

We were supposed to check out early the next morning to drive back to Hilo to return the car for our interisland flight to Oahu. I was too weak, so we reconfiguered everything and checked out at 2:00p.m. and flew out of Kona instead. Beware of what you eat, of course Denny's denied any fault. I reported the incident to the Hawaii health department who sent me for testing on Oahu. I am awaiting the results.

The staff was pretty great, I tipped quite gererously, they actually seemed surprised. It is definately a trip I will not forget.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:36 pm

Just returned and parking is no longer free. As stated above, self-parking is $7/day.

The parking charge is imposed almost like a resort fee. When I arrived, I told them I would not do valet. I went down to self-park and saw that they charged. I parked in the shoreline access lot across the street instead of going into the lot. I must say that this was quite rare. Almost everyone just parked in the lot.

Anyway, when I went to check out, I had a charge for each night of self-parking. I explained that I didn't use the lot. I was asked where I parked. I was told that I was not allowed to park in the shoreline access lot at night. (There is a sign that says it's open from dawn to dusk, but there were multiple cars parked there every night.) In the end, I was credited, but I did have to argue about it.

Although I like this property a lot, this parking charge is absurd. The Marriott down the street (which is undergoing extensive renovations) is not charging for parking. However, it seems like nearly everyone was just accepting it as the cost of staying there.

Edited to add: I am Diamond and free parking is definitely not a current elite benefit.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
I just returned from a week at the HWV. The work on replacing the flagstone walkway between the lagoon and the ocean is continuing, but that appears to be the only work going on. Nothing is shut down.

It appears that the flagstones removed at the end of May (see comments above) were replaced by a concrete walkway as a temporary measure. The workers are now in the process of replacing the concrete walkway with new flagstones a section at a time.

From Monday to Thursday, an 80-foot section of the walkway was shut down as new flagstones were put in place. Foot traffic was rerouted along the lagoon beach.

The concrete had already been removed when we arrived, so no jackhammers. The only noises were the workmen's radios and the thump of rubber mallets. The new section of flagstone walkway was done by Friday and was reopened for the weekend (with no work going on).

I was staying in the ocean tower, and would have to classify this as little to no inconvenience.

There are still a couple of hundred feet of concrete walkway to replace, so I imagine this work is going to be continuing throughout July (and possibly August as well).

My guess is that every week or so, there is going to be a day of jackhammers as they remove the temporary concrete for the next section they will be working on. Then, if you are at the lagoon (and later, the children's pool), you will have to walk around the construction area and deal with the noise of radios and rubber mallets.

Again, some folks who are looking for total peace and quiet may find this annoying, but I find the screaming kids to be a far greater disturbance. If you think this may bother you, I would recommend you stay at the Palace or Ocean towers. On the other hand, you may be like the fellow I passed who told his wife to take the kids to the pool without him. He said he wanted to stay by the lagoon and watch the construction.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:12 pm

darn..hopefully the lot is open when i go
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
However, after a bit of a treasure hunt, I found the reference to $7/day at the bottom of this URL.
^
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:19 pm

For those who are interested, there are 2 nearby parking options that are free, although they are apparently not sanctioned by the hotel:

1. There is a shoreline access parking lot on the right hand side of Waikoloa Beach Drive just before you reach the Hilton. This lot has about 30 spots in it. It always had between 5-15 cars in it.

2. There is parking on the shoulder along the side of Waikoloa Beach Drive. On the side of the street away from the Hilton, the shoulder said "no stopping" on it. On the Hilton side, there was no such writing on the road. There are no posted no parking signs at all. I was told that the area along the road is used by Hilton as an overflow lot for their valet cars, although I saw no sign of this. Each night, about 2 cars were parked in this area.

King's Shops are a 1/2 mile from the hotel. The parking lot has signs forbidding overnight parking there.

Like I said above, almost everyone just uses the lot and pays.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Both of those are pretty good hikes, though.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cblaisd
At this hotel, whatever option you use for parking is going to involve a pretty good hike.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I would say the first option is 0.1-0.2 miles further than self-parking.

The second option is, at most, 0.1 further. If you pick your spot, it will be closer than self-parking. I'm talking about parking on the road directly in front of the entrance to the hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dream7
At this hotel, whatever option you use for parking is going to involve a pretty good hike.
Si.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:17 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
When we did get there for our 6-night stay, I decided to do the "extra" $7.50, and used the valet service. Glad I did. Those guys were quick, even with lots of people out front. (If the choice was still between $14.50 and free-for-self-park, then I would not have paid.)
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Zip
When we did get there for our 6-night stay, I decided to do the "extra" $7.50, and used the valet service. Glad I did. Those guys were quick, even with lots of people out front. (If the choice was still between $14.50 and free-for-self-park, then I would not have paid.)

I tend to agree with you. I found it silly to valet when there was free parking available, but if I am going to pay for parking I do not mind tacking on for valet service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.