Wiki Posts
Search

Outsourcing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors, American Advantage
Outsourcing

Is it me or is the Hilton HHonors program as well as there reservations appear to be outsourcing to India. When I call I speak to folks who are clueless and cant understand anything they are saying.
If that is the case I think I might need to take my business elsewhere.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I've also noticed that the reps in India don't seem to have been well trained, even the one supervisor I spoke with. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw.

And I also often have trouble understanding English spoken with that accent, especially over the phone where there are no visual cues to help. I do much better with some other accents, but that one is hard for me.

That said, I don't know that changing hotel chains will help. Seems like offshoring/outsourcing is rampant right now. Unless maybe you can find one that sends its business to Canada, like my company did with one function. And even there, I've found that some of the social reference points are different. Kind of amusing, eh?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Unless maybe you can find one that sends its business to Canada, like my company did with one function.
It's all in the training, whether its in Canada, India, or Ireland, etc. My company's parent moved the IT help desk function from in-house regionally across the US and Canada 16 months ago, to an outsourced provider (I'm not naming names, but the first two letters of the the outsourcing firm's name is CS*) with personnel clustered in Montreal. These people while good natured and polite, really never had been trained on our company's infrastructure. Consequently service suffered badly.

As of this month, the un-named provider, has had to outsource the Montreal facility, to a third party (due to non-compliance with the service level agreements). Only Fortune 250 companies can screw up this badly .

Back to the topic of Hilton... so far the Diamond Desk still seems to be based in the U.S., and consistent service has been my experience.

Last edited by Craig6z; Dec 17, 2005 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Craig6z
It's all in the training, whether its in Canada, India, or Ireland, etc.
Agreed. I've had very good service speaking to Dell's reps in India and very bad service trying to resolve something with SBC Yahoo's India-based reps.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Very interesting all this.

Why do get the feeling the OP has some sort of grudge against HH??

Nine posts: One ( a bit incredible ) about dogs at a Hampton
This one about outsourcing to India ( there ARE people who actually live in the USA with "strange accents" .. believe or not).

Then there is the 8/23 thread how as a Gold no access was given to Executive floor of the SFO Hilton BUT five days earlier on 8/19 she posted that Lisa at the Diamond desk got her rooms at the Paris Hilton.

Might be a good idea to get the/your stories straight

mike
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Might be a good idea to get the/your stories straight
Aha! So we have you to thank for this.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I've also noticed that the reps in India don't seem to have been well trained, even the one supervisor I spoke with. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw.

And I also often have trouble understanding English spoken with that accent, especially over the phone where there are no visual cues to help. I do much better with some other accents, but that one is hard for me.
The accents that I have the most trouble understanding are southern and midwestern accents. The "y'all's" and the drawls just drive me crazy.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by PT22064
The accents that I have the most trouble understanding are southern and midwestern accents. The "y'all's" and the drawls just drive me crazy.

What's with the fake names though for the off-shore call centers. Hi this Aaron. No it's not. I wonder if they pick a differnt name each day.....

What about a call center in maine? that would be fun. Mummble.... Mummble Mummble Mummble Mummble....

I love the southern accent so sexy.....
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Hilton from my understanding has been trying to outsource some of the peripheral services like restaurants and so on...

They are mainly concentraing on the management. Generally, for bookings, i suggets the op use the net where possible, if not try calling the usa hotline or the australian or singapore call centre directly. Their numbers are on the websites.

Im not sure if Hilton has really outsourced their call centre to India but i am aware that Hilton central reservation system is not really interconnected as well as one would expect. In term of hotel rates, they are good with rates found on the website but other special rates can be iffy and they sometimes ask you to call the hotel directly which is what i have done on a few occasions.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mommyistravelin
Is it me or is the Hilton HHonors program as well as there reservations appear to be outsourcing to India. .
Ah ha! When I contacted the Diamond Desk yesterday it made me wonder the very same thing. Good ole Flyer Talk! It is so great to be able to find out about other's experiences so immediately. Thank "youall" for posting!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat (1MM)/HH Dia/DL Sil/SPG Gld/HERTZ 5*/MR Sil
Outsourcing

Originally Posted by not2bgrounded
Ah ha! When I contacted the Diamond Desk yesterday it made me wonder the very same thing. Good ole Flyer Talk! It is so great to be able to find out about other's experiences so immediately. Thank "youall" for posting!
I have had the occassion to call HH (Diamond Desk) and connected to a person in India, yes really. The call was professional, polite and handled more efficently than calls to most other consumer service agenices (cc companies, banks, local retail) in the US. I personally don't care whom I connect to if they resolve the call in a timely manner, without punching in 45 numbers or holding for 30 minutes for the next available rep. Accents are common in America; Northern, Southern, Eastern, New York/New England, Texas, etc.

I work for a F150 company that has offices worldwide, yes India too. If you take the time and ask them to repeat if you can not understand they will help you better than if you get uppity/American with them. In my world travels, over 85 countries, most people like to communicate with US. Given the opportunity and time they will master our complicated language and even stranger request.

P.S. I grew up in the South and get people poking fun at my accents; y'all take care now.

My 2 cent.......
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I agree that various accents can sometimes be confusing - asking someone to repeat what they are saying has worked for me in the past. I have even had a CSR, not Hilton, apoligize for their accent and thank me for being so patient with them.

As Dudesdad mentioned, having to enter your account # twice and hitting several other menu selections and then being put on hold for long periods of time are more frustrating to me then having to deal with someone who has an accent.

If it is so bad that I can not understand them at all, I will thank them for their time and then ask to speak to a supervisor. At least for me, every time I have asked that question I end up with someone who speaks with less of an accent.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:35 am

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Frustrating...

I called the Diamond Desk last week to simply make a change to an existing reservation to change the promotion code. The agent not only couldn't find my reservation, but when he finally did got very confused because I had two cities in one day. Long story, I finally hung up and then called back and thankfully reached someone here who not only immediately made the change but also reminded my that I was using a certificate for a cat 6 at a cat 3 and if I changed my mind later I could switch back to using points for the stay.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:04 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Talking

Originally Posted by PT22064
And the New Joisey accent is better?
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Or even Boossston?
When I once spent 3 days transcribing ticket orders from a phone tape for the Red Sox and had to listen to each many times to understand the address.

When I was a kid it was Sherman and Peabody, not Peebeedy!

JudyJFLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.