Hilton Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Old May 5, 19, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE View Post
We have been going there for the past 10 years,But last year was one of the worst.Lounge Staff was over worked and short staffed. Breakfast was always Good except last year,Totally short staffed.
It's certainly not one of the more inviting hotel lounges I've visited. Nothing relaxing about sitting in a crowded room while new arrivals scan tables for free seats. Staff are overwhelmed by the numbers, and the scrum around the buffet detracts from the appeal of an already ho-hum food offer.

But this seems to reflect a wider issue at Hilton group hotels with lounges. Are rooms with club access too cheap? Are there too many of us Diamonds? Do hotels "gift" access too readily?

And are hotel lounges over the "cocktail hour" really suitable venues for bring the kids for a picnic?
Old May 5, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium,75 Rooms this year already, LF Gold,Hilton Diamond 10 years,Hyatt Explorist.,IHG
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
It's certainly not one of the more inviting hotel lounges I've visited. Nothing relaxing about sitting in a crowded room while new arrivals scan tables for free seats. Staff are overwhelmed by the numbers, and the scrum around the buffet detracts from the appeal of an already ho-hum food offer.

But this seems to reflect a wider issue at Hilton group hotels with lounges. Are rooms with club access too cheap? Are there too many of us Diamonds? Do hotels "gift" access too readily?

And are hotel lounges over the "cocktail hour" really suitable venues for bring the kids for a picnic?
Some Hotels do not allow children in the Lounge during Happy Hours.Maybe KL Hilton should look into that.
Old May 5, 19, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE View Post
Some Hotels do not allow children in the Lounge during Happy Hours.Maybe KL Hilton should look into that.
I think most, if not all hotels have such restrictions, as well as the ones on shorts etc. But these rules seldom seem to be enforced - i'm guessing lounge staff find it difficult to turn away family groups.

It become especially difficult for them when the family arrives with every expectation of being admited, because they were on a previous visit to another Hilton property.

A sensible approach is to provide separate facilities for families.
Old May 5, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
Jz checked in and saw the lobby is now functional, also works as a check-in area for elite members.
You mean the main hotel lobby or the executive lounge lobby? The picture is of a table, so I can't tell where it is or what we're looking at. Every time I have been to this hotel the check-in area has had an elite check-in line.

In my experience, this is a common situation at hotels all over the world. Offer free food, and people act like it's their only opportunity for food for a week. Have you ever been to, say, the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney? The lounge at evening snack time is a complete zoo. every inch of table and floor space packed, huge crowds squeezing in at the buffet. That said, it's also true that, as would be obvious, it is highly dependent on hotel occupancy. If you catch the hotel when few people are there, the lounge is empty. If your stay is during high occupancy, there are often no tables.
Old May 5, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
There is a separate area next to the chambers restaurant for elite check-in.
Old May 5, 19, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
There is a separate area next to the chambers restaurant for elite check-in.
Has that been reopened? I used this Elite Check in once and that was the evening before the ceiling came down and closed the lobby area for renovation ever since.

Globalist
Old May 5, 19, 10:44 pm

Yes its reopened!
Old May 7, 19, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
In my experience, this is a common situation at hotels all over the world. Offer free food, and people act like it's their only opportunity for food for a week.
Well, maybe at the Hilton level. But move up half a notch to, say, the Intercontinental in the same city and you find a well staffed, professional set-up in a large elegant space: hot items served to order and cocktails mixed.

And without the equivalent of "credit-card Diamonds", and the difficulty of getting IHG status that allows lounge access, it's rarely packed. It can get full, but I've only seen it uncomfortably crowded at New Year. No kids.

I accept that Hilton follows a different strategy when it comes to lounges, and that leads to pizza slices rather than seared scallops. And crowds!
But they could make things just a tad more comfortable over "cocktail hour" by applying the access rules they set.
Old May 7, 19, 4:52 am
Accor Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Well, maybe at the Hilton level. But move up half a notch to, say, the Intercontinental in the same city and you find a well staffed, professional set-up in a large elegant space: hot items served to order and cocktails mixed.
Move up half a notch LOL, more likely down a few given IHGs increasingly stingy response to elite benefits, in the case of the IC KL it was until recently easily eclipsed by the DT across the road when it came to treatment of status guests. In a city of so many options one doesn’t have to travel far, in fact in the case of the Hilton, one only needs to turn right instead of left at the door to enjoy the LM hospitality, better lounge by far.
Old May 7, 19, 7:38 am

So have started turning right this year and have to say the lounge and overall stay experience at LM is several notches above HKL.
Old May 7, 19, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markis10 View Post

Move up half a notch LOL, more likely down a few given IHGs increasingly stingy response to elite benefits, in the case of the IC KL it was until recently easily eclipsed by the DT across the road when it came to treatment of status guests. In a city of so many options one doesn’t have to travel far, in fact in the case of the Hilton, one only needs to turn right instead of left at the door to enjoy the LM hospitality, better lounge by far.
We weren't talking about elite benefits but about the quality of lounges, and the way they are managed.

The IHG Ambassador programme has many failings, but if you make it to the top tier you are very well looked after indeed. Anything below that level is rubbish.

HH has no exclusive level: just a million or so Diamond members, each hoping for one of those elusive suites, but probably making do with a room-on-higher-floor with drinks and some pizza slices in the lounge.
Old May 7, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: Honors Gold; AA Ex Plat

HH has no exclusive level: just a million or so Diamond members, each hoping for one of those elusive suites, but probably making do with a room-on-higher-floor with drinks and some pizza slices in the lounge.
Since we are talking about it - how is the pizza in the lounge, or KL in general. I never expected that to be a topic du jour.
Old May 8, 19, 4:23 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Stayed here 2 weeks ago. Reached the hotel at 4pm and check in was at the "lounge" area at the lobby. Nothing special. Just a place to sit while they process the check in. Major faux pas by the staff. She came back with my keycards and said, "You may like to join us in the executive lounge for afternoon tea, although it's nearing the tail end. If you're lucky maybe you can help yourselves to the scraps."

I brushed it off as a poorly worded joke.

Evening cocktail was not bad. Having come from DoubleTree kl, this was an upgrade, in terms of the spread and drinks.
Old May 8, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RCTP View Post
Stayed here 2 weeks ago. Reached the hotel at 4pm and check in was at the "lounge" area at the lobby. Nothing special. Just a place to sit while they process the check in. Major faux pas by the staff. She came back with my keycards and said, "You may like to join us in the executive lounge for afternoon tea, although it's nearing the tail end. If you're lucky maybe you can help yourselves to the scraps."

I brushed it off as a poorly worded joke.

Evening cocktail was not bad. Having come from DoubleTree kl, this was an upgrade, in terms of the spread and drinks.
Do they still provide a refreshing fruit drink and cool washcloth during the check-in process? We had this a couple of years ago, during my last visit to this property. I have to admit it was a very nice touch and much appreciated after traveling for over 24 hours.
Old May 8, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Nope. You helped yourself to cold drink with a paper cup at a dispenser next to the counter. There were some fruits on the table to help yourself with too.

Search this Thread