Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Florence Metropole {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Folks, thanks for the responses. I just realized there is Hilton Garden Inn also outside Florence/in the Florence suburbs. What are the trade offs between staying at the Hilton vs. HGI (beyond the free shuttle)?

I am looking to do a full points redemption and the HGI is less (20K vs. 30K per night).
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:54 am

Executive lounge
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Plat Delta, DIA Hilton
City Bus

The HGI is very close to a bus line, which has a direct run into historic Florence. I think this might be better to use, than being dependent on the Hilton bus.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Pool charge

Originally Posted by travisw
Was told that policy has changed: 8 euros for one person, 12 for two. no exception for diamonds.
We're considering staying here in november.

Any update on the pool charge?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:02 am

Just returned from a four night stay. Was upgraded to Executive room, offered breakfast in their dining room or the lounge, and received some welcoming gifts (candy, slippers, etc.). I was told the Jacuzzi was free, but nothing was said (nor did I ask) about the pool.
This was my fifth stay at this property. Overall, to spite the inconvenience of its location, its a pretty good hotel. It does need a little repair work in places, but still a nice way to use points.
Two things different from previous stays:
1. The new location for the shuttle bus near the train station adds an additional 10-15 minute walk both ways.
2. The lounge only brings out wine/liquor and snacks between 6 and 9pm.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Folks, thanks for the responses. I just realized there is Hilton Garden Inn also outside Florence/in the Florence suburbs. What are the trade offs between staying at the Hilton vs. HGI (beyond the free shuttle)?

I am looking to do a full points redemption and the HGI is less (20K vs. 30K per night).
We stayed one night at the HGI when we arrived in Florence 6 weeks ago, as we had a very late arrival and wanted something close to the airport for the first night. We stayed 2 nights at the Hilton Metropole at the end of our visit, as the apartment we were renting was not available those two nights. In between, we stayed in a small apartment in the city center, next to the Duomo.

The two hotels are fairly similar, except as mentioned upthread that the Metropole has an executive lounge, which is about average by European standards. The evening food runs heavily to pastas (this is Italy, after all). We found no restaurants within walking distance of either one, and nothing that you would come to Italy as a tourist to see, so for either one you would be making trips into the city center to see things and for meals.

One problem in the city center is that there are no public restrooms - if you are patronizing a restaurant you can use theirs, and museums have them, but if you are just walking about or shopping there aren't any. If you want to avoid repeated back-and-forth trips, take a backpack so you can take everything you might want or need with you.

Going to/from central city will take at least an hour round trip, whether by taxi or shuttle, and a lot longer at certain times of day.

We enjoyed our time staying in the central city much more than either of these two hotels. I don't think you will find any of the American hotel chains with hotels in the central city - the buildings are too old and can't be brought up to hotel chain standards - but there are some perfectly respectable hotels that do not meet those standards available, and I would suggest one of those if your purpose is tourism and if you think you can get by without Peter Roth toiletries.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
I don't think you will find any of the American hotel chains with hotels in the central city - the buildings are too old and can't be brought up to hotel chain standards - but there are some perfectly respectable hotels that do not meet those standards available, and I would suggest one of those if your purpose is tourism and if you think you can get by without Peter Roth toiletries.
This is pretty close.
http://www.westinflorence.com/?PS=LG...TPRP&SWAQ=7M96

And this for the well heeled.
http://www.fourseasons.com/florence/...FVORHwodWSsKog
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Last minute question (am in the middle of packing):

Do the bathrooms have bathtubs or only showers?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by helosc
Last minute question (am in the middle of packing):

Do the bathrooms have bathtubs or only showers?
Hi,

IIRC both, but my last stay in this hotel was 4/5 years and I am not 100% sure.

Have a nice trip!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by more4less
Hi,

Have a nice trip!
Thank you, I'll pack the bath oils then.....
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by more4less
Hi,

Have a nice trip!
You did remember correctly. According to the floor plan in my room, all rooms have bathtubs except the 2 corner rooms which for some reason only have showers.
I was upgraded to a corner room, so....
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by helosc
You did remember correctly. According to the floor plan in my room, all rooms have bathtubs except the 2 corner rooms which for some reason only have showers.
I was upgraded to a corner room, so....
Sorry to hear it, I hope that at least the upgrade compensates the lack of bathtub.

Enjoy Florence!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
The corner rooms are larger too.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:53 pm

Yes, I'm very pleased with the room - very nice view.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I haven't been there is a while, do they still have the mildly uncomfortably squishy carpet in the sleeping floor corridors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.