Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Starwood Preferred Guest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2000, 10:51 am
Original Poster

for you who are interested,

tonight at 6:30 pm EST on CNBC channel

that what i was told

regards,

ksa_usa
Old Jul 4, 2001, 7:59 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
Diamond vs. Platinum on Starwood

After dumping Hiltons for over 2 years over Starwood, I started staying at them this year and got elevated to Gold after just 6 stays.

How does Honors Diamond compare to Platinum on Starwood. I can probably reach both but would obviously give up some pretty good benefits for not staying at Starwood's while trying to make Diamond.

Anybody out there on both and can offer some advice?
Old Jan 10, 2002, 6:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
Hilton or Starwood Program

I have Platinum Status at Starwood and Gold Status at Hilton. I always prefer Starwood - better upgrades, Hotels, rooms,...
Why do people still stay at Hilton Hotels?
Old Jan 10, 2002, 7:03 pm

Because there are no Starwood properties in a given locale.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 7:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA 100K:
I have Platinum Status at Starwood and Gold Status at Hilton. I always prefer Starwood - better upgrades, Hotels, rooms,...
Why do people still stay at Hilton Hotels?
</font>

You know what they say about opinions...

Mike
Old Jan 10, 2002, 10:19 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Well, it's the old apples and oranges arguement. You have the highest level of status at Starwood and a second tier status at Hilton. Your treatment is likely to be unequal.

I am Diamond at Hilton and Gold at Starwood. I get great upgrades and almost always get free breakfast at Hilton properties and rarely get them at Starwood ones.

I know that a lot of us travel for busines and our companies choose lower priced hotels. I think it fair to say that Hampton Inns offer a better option (in terms of price, quality, and locations) then Starwood's low tier (4 Points). It is nice earning the points in Hampton Inns and redeeming them in higher end Hiltons (like HHV & Jalouse, for example).

Also, I must say that Points and Miles keep me in the fold.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 6:13 am

Yep, it's the miles and points.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I would have to agree that on the whole Starwood properties are generally nicer than Hilton ones - at least at midrange properties and above. The flip side of this is that they are also more expensive, generally speaking. The low-end of Starwood, Four Points, is generally priced at a premium to Hilton's low end (Hampton Inn). Also Starwood's geographic coverage is far inferior to HHonors here in the U.S. - I can't think of a single U.S. destination where I couldn't find a HHonors property. I can think of several I've had to travel to where there's no Starwood to be found (College Station and Midland, TX; Memphis; Jacksonville, FL etc.) So while I really enjoy Starwood properties and the SPG program, I also stay frequently at HHonors properties either because A) they're cheaper; B) there's no Starwood option available in that area; or C) HHonors is running a particularly attractive bonus points promotion.

While I've had better luck with upgraded rooms/amenities with HHonors (I'm both HH Gold and SPG Gold), this isn't enough of a factor to where it makes HHonors my choice over Starwood. In fact, if Starwood had more properties in smaller and medium sized cities like I mentioned above, I probably would be Platinum in SPG. But for now I find good and bad things in both chains' hotels and programs and find both of them to be very useful in different situations...

[This message has been edited by Herb687 (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Jan 11, 2002, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I have the same question about Starwood?

I'm Diamond Hilton, Plat SGP, Plat MR and still can't figure out why people stay at SPG other than the fact that either their company requires it, its the closest to work, or its free
Old Jan 11, 2002, 9:08 am
Suspended

Starwood does not really upgrade SPG Gold , at least in this part of the globe.

It was a flat "NO" at Sheraton Towers Singapore, "you have to pay extra" at Sheraton Brisbane, "no harbour view upgrade for Gold" at 4 Points Sydney etc

I would say that I would get a minor upgrade once in a while say once out of every 3 or 4 stays.

Most of the time, they would tell you that they have upgraded you ...oh yes to SPG floor.

Hilton on the other hand upgrade HHonors Gold to Club floor which includes free breakfast.

Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:10 pm

This has obviously been discussed passionately before, but I will add my $.02. Many Hiltons are run down. The hotel service is inconsistent, but IMHO improving. HHonors, though, is a great program and your earning potential is huge.

In my experience, the pluses for HHonors is:
-Free breakfast
-Miles
-Awesome promotional earning opportunities
-Locations everywhere

Further, HHonors treats their Diamond members like a Diamond. You can almost always get a reward reservation at any resort where there is availability. I only say almost because there are certain times like the Olympics where it isn't possible (of course there is no availability for anyone...).

Now Starwood also has a great program, of which I'm also Platinum. In my book Hhonors has the edge because I'm Diamond and I think the points are worth more. (In other words, I can earn more points in equivalent stays at a Hilton that a Sheraton.) Also, Starwoods seems to price their hotels too high for me, which often prices me out. If I were a Hhonors Gold, I think I might feel differently, as you have to plan your award stays farther in advance and there is limited availability.

Also, if I have just come off a hundred night year in SPG, and enjoyed a week at a 5* resort courtesy of SPG, I might also feel differently.

The truth is, both programs treat their most frequest guests very well. So you probably can't go wrong as long as your at the top level of either.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We are Hilton Diamond and Starwood Platinum and we like them both. We usually get treated very well by both and are sometimes very disappointed by both.

A lot of it has to do with the competence of the desk staff. Some are just plain clueless and some ar amazing--just like the rest of the world.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 9:33 am
RegularGuy

I'm Hyatt Diamond & SPG Platinum. Hyatt offers the best Amenity (bottle of wine, fruit cheese trays, etc.). However, Hyatt coverage is horrendous. In the Carolinas, the coverage is equal between SPG & HH. However, it is the Sheraton (not the 4-Points) offering that is left to compete with the Hampton Inn as there are too few, if any, Hiltons. SPG miles ROCK... transfer to any airline 1-to-1 PLUS a 5K mile bonus when you transfer 20K... THIS ROCKS! The Free Friday or Free Weekend promotions have permitted MANY free getaways that my girlfriend loves... plus they ARE NOT TIERED BY CATEGORY... I could use these at a $550 per night St. Regis. SPG Promotions are just awesome. Hampton Inn is a consultant's dream... a towel that just big enough, a room that's just roomy enough, a bed that's just big enough and, well, just enough shampoo and soap (for one person). Everything is an extra effort.. extra towels, extra soap... even the complimentary breakfast buffets are, well, value-engineered. Nothing special, nothing great, and pretty boring. That's why I prefer the older, extra-oriented (hey... even body lotion at a 4-Points), better promotions, better transfers, better miles, better hotels and BETTER FOOD at Starwood Brand Properties.

My 2-Cents...

Old Jan 13, 2002, 3:23 pm

I used to be a Hyatt junkie. I agree their amenity was the best, and their properties had the most character. But they became too expensive, and too many places there isn't one.
Old May 20, 2002, 3:05 pm

HHonors vs. SPG

I needed to book a stay from 5/25 till 5/31. I didn't really find out about this need until yesterday (5/19). I wanted to use points, so.....

I called the HHonors Diamond desk and explained my situation -- I also told them I was willing to stay at ANY HHonors property in eastern Massachusetts and was willing to split my stay across multiple hotels. Fuhgeddabout it. No luck. Best part was when they were willing to let me have a room at the Doubletree Waltham for the bargain price of $329/night for Saturday.

I called SPG. I had my choice of hotels. I booked the stay at a category 2 hotel, maximizing my points.

Lately, I wonder how I'm going to spend my HHonors points since I can never get a hotel when I need one.

WMH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.