Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
staying here this weekend.......I'm only a low life gold so I asked about brekkie and was told ONLY in the lounge except on Monday mornings......

received 2 Internet vouchers for 2 devices.....
Will be in Helsinki with family July 2-5. Even with Diamond status, decided to NOT stay at this property because tripadvisor reviews are scathing about the dated nature of the rooms. I contacted this hotel, and they clearly have no sense of urgency about doing a refurbishment.

Instead, got a status match to Gold with Club Carlson, and will stay at the Radisson Blu Plaza, which gets excellent reviews at Tripadvisor.com.

Another option is the Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, but it's outside the city, and with limited time, do not want to waste time taxiing/bussing in and out of the city.

PS With Club Carlson status match, I have shifted all my Homewood Suites SFO business to the Radisson next door. Why support Hilton following the recent MEGA-UBER-SUPER-devaluation when I can rack up about 50 points per dollar with Club Carlson (including current 10,000 points for two nights bonus)?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Good question and hope Hhonors pays attention! BTW. Does the Radisson Blu Plaza have a lounge? Do you get access with your status match?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by tsastor
Good question and hope Hhonors pays attention! BTW. Does the Radisson Blu Plaza have a lounge? Do you get access with your status match?
The Radisson Plaza has no lounge and no Gym.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Will be in Helsinki with family July 2-5. Even with Diamond status, decided to NOT stay at this property because tripadvisor reviews are scathing about the dated nature of the rooms. I contacted this hotel, and they clearly have no sense of urgency about doing a refurbishment.
Whilst it's true that the feel of the rooms are a little dated, they are in near perfect condition. Look on their website for plenty of photos of the rooms - the photos are true to what the rooms are like.

Maybe this is different on different floors, but in my 6+ stays there this year I've always been on the 7th (exec lounge) or the 8th (top) floors.

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Another option is the Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, but it's outside the city, and with limited time, do not want to waste time taxiing/bussing in and out of the city.
I've stayed here once, and it's a great hotel especially in terms of the view - as long as you get a sea view room! The rooms are full glass on one side, facing out to the water (or the ice, as it was when I was there!)

But as you say, it's a distance to the city - a ~20 minute tram trip, following by a few hundred metre walk (part of it up-hill), or a taxi.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I just got back from my trip to Scandinavia and a 3-night stay at this hotel. Having done my homework, I was prepared for a really dated hotel and it most certainly is. I am a Diamond member and used points. They gave us a room on the 4th floor with ocean view and all Diamond benefits. I was really disappointed with the room. It was comparable to an old downtown Las Vegas hotel. My room did not feel clean at all. There were lots of stains on the carpet and really worn out fixtures that need to be repaired. Even the closet door was broken and wouldn't slide open. The breakfast staff were ok, the executive lounge staff were fine, and the front desk people were great.

Even though the hotel is stuck in the 1970s, my biggest gripe with the room was the temperature control. The thermometer on the wall was always 25C+ and it's in the coolest part of the room. The thermostat shows a snowflake icon, which I assumed was air conditioning, but it never cooled down. I opened the window but that let in mosquitos. I killed at least 10 once I discovered them on the ceiling and in the bathroom, but I still got bit every night because I had to sleep without covers because it was so hot in the room. Between the late night sun and the heat in the room, I have never had such horrible sleep in a Hilton. The next morning I considered getting moved but I overheard an elderly couple at the front desk ask if they could be moved for the same reason. The agent said that they were having problems, so I figured there was no point in packing up all our stuff to go to another hot room. I really don't think I would stay here again unless they update the rooms. I would like to try the other Hilton that's outside of town.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:30 pm

Weird, the rooms I've stayed in there had hardwood floors and then heated tile in the bathrooms. No issues with dirt for me.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
It's been a while but I had 100+ nights here in 2007-2009 and found it to be a fine 4+ star establishment that treated me well- only one stay off the exec floor. If/when I am back in HEL I will stay here without question.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Two night paid stay as HHD.

Location. A 30 minute taxi ride from the airport, a ten minute walk into the city centre. Taxi was about 40 EUR, with the airport shuttle, it was 30 EUR (the Hilton Strand was the first stop of the shuttle). The hotel is in a quiet residential area (Hakaniemi) next to the Siltavuorensalmi and across the water from the (nice) botanical gardens.

Check-in. The FD agent didn't give a lot of information. Was upgraded to EF room. No information about lounge times etc.

Lounge. On the 7th floor. Drinks and some snacks in the evening (until 8:30pm weekdays, until 8pm weekends). Views of Siltavuorensalmi nice. Not too many newspapers and most of them in Finnish.

Architecture. The whole design of the hotel (angled balconies, inner courtyard with elevators) spells "dated".

Room. Nothing special. As often in old hotels, not enough power outlets close to the bed and the desk. No issues with cleanliness or functionality of the equipment.

Breakfast. Eggs can be ordered via staff, but this is not mentioned anywhere. Buffet is OK, but not great. A few local specialties (Karelian pastry).

Gym and pool. On the 8th floor with nice views, a sauna, and a balcony. Gym is rather small (with an attempt to make it look twice as big with a huge mirror).

Food. The room service offers were minimal outside of regular dining hours. Oddly enough, "regular dining hours" do not include lunch during the weekend, and when we wanted to have lunch before going to the airport, we couldn't and needed to change plans and eat at the airport.

Summary. Two years ago, I stayed at the GLO Kluuvi, and I felt that it was considerably nicer. On the other hand, the TripAdvisor reviews seem to suggest that the GLO is by far not as good anymore as it was a few years ago. The stay in the Hilton Strand was not bad, but nothing exciting either.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I live in a parallel universe, but the Hilton Strand is by far the worst Hilton in Europe I have ever stayed in, and my most disappointing hotel experience in the last 12 months, in a league with the Crowne Plaza in Zurich and the Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam (both of which were booked for me by a client company.)

I'm in Helsinki about once/twice a month for two nights. I usually stay at the Kämp, which is an SPG property and has the best location in the centre of the city. It's notionally the best hotel but the rooms are tired and bland. I needed a change of scenery. A few weeks ago I had an early morning flight out of HEL and decided to stay at the Hilton Vaanta by the airport. It is a great airport hotel so I thought this time that I would book one night at the Kämp and one night at the Hilton Strand. What a mistake!

The Strand has absolutely no character at all. It is a bland box with glass/brass design from the early 1980s. The rooms are small, dated, and rough. I'm looking at the pale green and grey striped carpet right now, and it is seriously dirty and spotted. The windowledges are tiled! The windows are dirty on the outside and inside. The bathroom is tiny and the fittings are at least 25 years old. There is a shower curtain! The decor is a pale organe/green/grey mess.

Hallways and public areas are dingy, poorly lit, and dirty. The exec lounge is ok, if you like Kumala wine. The lobby area and bar is just depressing. I'm so glad I'm going home in a few hours. I will not be staying here again!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Try the Hilton Kalastajatorppa instead. Book a room with a sea view.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tsastor
Try the Hilton Kalastajatorppa instead. Book a room with a sea view.
I thought that one had an even worse reputation..
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:23 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I beg to differ. It is not only the walls and carpets that make a hotel. In most cases, it is the staff. Would not complain the restaurant or breakfast in that locale either... Bathroom fittings tend to work and there is sufficient water pressure as well.

The [name a Hilton in London] has absolutely no character at all. It has a design from the early [1880s/1960s/1980s]. The rooms are small, dated, and rough. I'm looking at the pale green and grey striped carpet right now, and it is seriously dirty and spotted. The windowledges are tiled! The windows (if any) are dirty on the outside and inside. The bathroom is tiny and the fittings are at least 25 years old. There is a shower curtain! The decor is a pale organe/green/grey mess.

Hallways and public areas are dingy, poorly lit, and dirty. The exec lounge is ok, if you like Kumala wine. The lobby area and bar is just depressing. However, the staff are brilliant and I will be returning to this hotel also in the near future. (small print: does not apply to Hilton Docklands )

Speaking about Kalastajatorppa, the location is slightly distant from the city centre, but the views from the rooms can be stunning. They also do have an excellent restaurant.

Last edited by TTL; Feb 19, 2014 at 2:24 am
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I thought that one had an even worse reputation..
I actually found the Kalastajatorppa quite nice, and it's perhaps 15 minutes away from the city center via tram.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Hilton Helsinki Strand

Staying here three nights next weekend. Emailed them this morning to advise of a late arrival on the first day and they managed to respond within half an hour, which is really sharp.

They've also agreed to honour an upgrade to Exec level thanks to my HH Diamond, despite having booked through a third party, which is really good.

Will report back again after the stay. Conscious of some mixed feedback here!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Further to my last post, some brief feedback:

- I paid through a third party (BA Holidays) yet was given Diamond benefits, Executive room with lounge access, and free breakfast.

- There's turn down service, at least on Executive level.

- Hotel dated but very clean, in fact architecture enthusiasts might like the very seventies atrium...

- Breakfast is average. A couple of local items (bacon is streaky and crispy )

- Tea/coffee service at breakfast was slow

- Exec lounge small but perfectly formed - average selection of nibbles and drinks but otherwise perfectly adequate

- Staff generally very pleasant and helpful, especially front desk

- Location is fine, it's 10 mins to the central station - not bad in summer but in a harsh winter you might like to give it a miss. Tram stop is two mins walk from the entrance. Public transport is typically Finnish; very efficient.

Overall a decent if not brilliant stay. If you can get a good rate, as I did, then stay here. I wouldn't pay top whack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.