Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by mtn
Hilton Helsinki Strand used to be my favourite hotel in Helsinki. As I a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP I used to get access to the Clubroom at the Executive floor even if my room category was not upgraded to executive level.

In February 2006 they changed their lounge access policy. Diamond VIP means nothing for Strand. They allow only guests staying in executive rooms to access the Clubroom. This is extremely annoying.

As a Diamond VIP I sometimes get upgrade, but usually they say "We are sorry, our hotel is fully booked" or "the executive floor is fully booked". They do offer a small bottle of wine, but I am not happy with it. I want access the lounge. In Hilton Hotels in another countries I can do it, but not in Strand.

There are only 31 executive rooms. Once there were executive rooms available according to their internet site but they still did not upgrade me. All I got was a "business class" room at the 6th floor without access to the lounge. I do not consider this an upgrade.

The Clubroom has always been the main reason to stay in Strand. Now I prefer Crowne Plaza (which has a lounge for executive guests) and Kämp.

The Strand is a very nice property- location is just a tad from where you'd want it but a good hotel all around (people, facilities, environment, etc.) I've been a frequent guest of late and never been loungeless even when not in 7th heaven. But if your budget will reach to the Kamp I say what's the beef- that hotel is clearly in a different league from the Strand and the CP.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:34 am
mtn

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WIZ
I don't get it. You want to stay at the CP that has exactly the same lounge access policy as the Strand but a worse lounge? That really doesn't make too much sense.
My next private visit will be on 20.4.2007. The best advance purchase rate (executive room, no breakfast, 2 persons) at Hilton Strand is 137 €. At Crowne Plaza Helsinki the best advance purchase rate (www.crowneplaza.com) for a club room is 84 €. Both rooms include access to lounge. The rate at Crowne Plaza is over 38 % cheaper than the rate at Hilton Strand.

When staying on business trip the rate does not matter as much. I guess on weekdays it is easier to get upgraded at Hilton Strand. But why not to stay at Kämp if your employer pays for the room?

Hilton Strand has refused to upgrade me three times. I was told the executive floor to be full by the reception desk. At all three times this happened on weekends. And the clubroom at Strand is worse on weekends. There is no strong alcohol available, just beer and wine and the canapes are worse, too.

I agree that standard and club rooms at Crowne Plaza are too small. The executive rooms are satisfactory by size. They are larger (up to 42 square meters) than rooms at Hilton Strand (only 28 square meters). The Crowne Plaza executive rooms also include a sitting area with sofa. It is very useful if you are planning to invite guests to your room. It is also easier to invite guests to the lounge as the maid is not asking for a room number like in Strand.

Does anyone know other hotels in Finland with a lounge/clubroom? I know only five hotels with a lounge: Hilton Strand, Crowne Plaza Helsinki, Scandic Continental, Holiday Inn Oulu and Hilton Helsinki-Vantaa airport (not open yet).

Perhaps upgrades will be easier available when Scandic withdraws HHonors loyality program. Fewer guests will have diamond or gold status. I hope they will then be treating diamond vips like they should.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Don't be dissin' the Strand! ;)

All,

There are a lot of negative comments on the Strand and I feel that they're owed a defense.

First of all, it's generally considered to be the second nicest hotel in Helsinki--the Kamp has the reputation of being better, though it's not on my company's approved list.

I stay at the hotel roughly ten times a year, am recognized by staff (and more importantly, I recognize the staff--sign of good management and happy staff) and upgraded to the executive floor nine out of ten times. Of course, I don't expect the hotel to have a 100% rate--it's one of the hotels used frequently for state visits and other diplomatic activities, so I feel that my repeated stays and status mean something in the ongoing relationship between me and my hotel. This relationship also helps when Helsinki is booked solid--which happens quite often--I can usually get the manager to let me in at our corporate rate.

The executive lounge is quite nice--it has a beautiful view of the river entering the harbor, along with an open balcony. They serve breakfast in the lounge for the executive floor and have light appetizers for evenings. The room is open from, I believe, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. during the week and has free beer, soft drinks, coffees and cookies/crackers/pretzels all day. If the door is closed, an executive floor key will open the door (no, it's not supervised or staffed all day). There's also a PC in the room for email and web browsing and the staff is quite good at making restaurant suggestions/reservations around Helsinki (though my dining guide to Helsinki in the Scandinavian message board is equally useful).

They recently switched from DNA.fi to their own internal WiFi service, which is fairly stable by hotel standards. I have yet to pay for Internet service (they normally give me slips for the stay without questions on check-in), but I believe they charge €20 a day for those who aren't as lucky.

Cabs are Johnny-on-the-Spot and the hotel is near one of the central city's aggregation points for the tram network and the Metro, so unless I'm headed toward Espoo, a person well-versed in Helsinki's layout could easily get around without a cab.

You are located a slight bit off the center (as defined by train station area)--two stops by subway, three or so by tram--but I find the quieter neighborhood to be worth it. There's a Sokos a block over for shopping, toiletries and such, a late night McDonalds for a jetlagged fry binge and, my favorite, the Hakaniemi Market Hall and square. Check out the Marimekko outlet on the second floor. Sure, you'll be back in Central Helsinki for most of the dining, but the hotel's in-hotel restaurant is actually quite good and perfect for day-of-arrival quiet dinners.

Beds are fairly firm, mainly a plush mattress pad with plush feather pillows and duvets. I'm allergic to down, but they have no issues getting hypoallergenic materials to my room promptly.

I believe that the Executive floor folks get free access to the private saunas, with appointments, but I can't confirm this, as I general sauna at corporate locations rather than at the hotel (got to be Finn-friendly with the socialization!). There's also a workout room, but I haven't been in it.

One other thought. The Vaanta (HEL) to Strand fare is generally €27-25, depending on traffic or time of day. I generally fly LH to HEL, so the arrival and departure times are times are generally quite good for dealing with Helsinki traffic. For my early morning departures, I generally can be from the hotel to the Airport in less than 20 minutes; afternoons, 25.

Feel free to ask any more questions... if I don't know the answer, I can always check during my next trip.

Timothy
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
As another frequent visitor to HEL i concur with every point made in the previous post. Although a little out of the center the sea-facing Strand is very peaceful, and a 15 minute walk or 5 minute cab to the train station or Esplanade areas.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
As another frequent visitor to HEL i concur with every point made in the previous post. Although a little out of the center the sea-facing Strand is very peaceful, and a 15 minute walk or 5 minute cab to the train station or Esplanade areas.
As someone who has just completed a night at the Hilton Strand yesterday, I have to agree that the location (while not smack in the center) is not that bad. Compare it to the other Hilton which is by the sea too but far off any beaten track.

However, I wonder why no one has mentioned how tired this place is. If this is the second nicest hotel in HEL than - oh my god. This place must be from the Seventies and it looks like that too from the lobby to the standard room I had. Yes well maintained, but I have not had a less appealing room (design / furnishings wise) for a long time.

I have not had a chance to sample the Exec rooms, but I tested this hotel in order to see if it is nice for a longer stay of 50-60 nights and decided immediately against it. The other Hilton Kala..... is much nicer design and furnishing wise (and the breakfast too) but the location is horrible for business travellers.

Ohh yah and while in many countries a charge for internet access is normal, in Finland I have never had to pay for it other than at all the Hilton properties. 20 Euros is ridiculous for something that every Holiday Inn at half the rate will give you for free.

I wanted to get my Diamond status back this way but forgo that and only make Gold. I will go for the Crowne Plaza instead. Oh well, too bad.

Last edited by demue; Mar 9, 2008 at 4:22 pm
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I'm not sure why the last poster said the place looks like its from the 70s... the rooms were last renovated in 2005, hotel built in the late 80s, I find the rooms to be quite comfortable and have 32" Sony LCDs in each room added, if I remember correctly, early last year. You can't get away from some of the architectural sins of the era, but my personal opinion is that it's the nicest modern hotel in Helsinki. If you want tradition, spring for the Kämp.

You want a Hilton from the 70s? Stay at the Hilton Rye Town.

Timothy
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GodOSpoons
I'm not sure why the last poster said the place looks like its from the 70s... the rooms were last renovated in 2005, hotel built in the late 80s, I find the rooms to be quite comfortable and have 32" Sony LCDs in each room added, if I remember correctly, early last year. You can't get away from some of the architectural sins of the era, but my personal opinion is that it's the nicest modern hotel in Helsinki. If you want tradition, spring for the Kämp.

You want a Hilton from the 70s? Stay at the Hilton Rye Town.

Timothy
Okay 80ies then. end of it - really? Wow that blows my socks off. maybe the design preferences over here are just so different from what I'm used to / like & prefer. Hmm I said it becasue that's what my standard room looked like to me (#332). If this room design was done in 2005 than they should ask for their money back. I did say it was well maintained, but my grand ma had a more upbeat place design and furnishings wise. Even if it is only 3 years old as you say it seems very old fashioned and fits with 80ies design. Yes there is a Sony LCD in a very weird place at about 1.6m height to the right side of the bed at the end of the closet / bar combo. Never seen it in a place like that.

Anyway, it is not a bad hotel as I said already, but for my personal taste absolutely not to my liking. If you like it than I'm happy for you. I didn't like my room and that's all I said. iIt's an opinion only and only represents one view. You balance it out with your view and there we go.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:27 am

Other Hilton Properties in Helsinki

Okay so I'm admitedly not the biggest fan of the Strand (location is good though) because in my very personal opinion - as can be read above - it is somewhat outdated design wise and my room wasn't too appealing for MY preferences and also considering the prices they charge.

Anyway, everyone can decide for themselves and just to provide some insight into the look of rooms at the other two Hilton properties in Helsinki I have some pictures from my last stays.

I believe the designer for both hotels - the Vantaa Airport one (new) and the Kalastajatorppa (refurb) - is actually the same and they reflect a more modern look that I prefer which again someone else may find less appealing. Be your own judge.

Hilton Helsinki Vantaa-Airport (Standard Room)

http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Hilton Kalastajatorppa

http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
I recently stayed at the Strand (Feb) and as a Diamond, was neither upgraded or given lounge access. I was given two free drink coupons for the bar. I have stayed at the Vantaa Airport Hilton 3 times now in the last four months and was upgraded to executive floor each time.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have to say that I really like this hotel and have been lucky enough to be upgraded on every stay to date. Last week I had a whole bunch of goodies - chocolate buttons, strawberries, biscuits, lemon sweets, Pringles, wine and water - shame I was going straight out to dinner

I think the rooms are fine and I really enjoy the rooms at the front with the sea view. Lounge is OK although breakfast choices are a little restricted.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have to say that I really like this hotel and have been lucky enough to be upgraded on every stay to date. Last week I had a whole bunch of goodies - chocolate buttons, strawberries, biscuits, lemon sweets, Pringles, wine and water - shame I was going straight out to dinner

I think the rooms are fine and I really enjoy the rooms at the front with the sea view. Lounge is OK although breakfast choices are a little restricted.
As I was upgraded as a mere (but earned) Gold, it was a real pleasure to be back at this hotel this week. When I was a Diamond the goodies in the room could indeed be very good. Now I only got the Pringles and the water (which in blind tests is constantly ranked inferior to Helsinki tap water). But there are quite nice goodies in the lounge too.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:12 am

Warning to HHonors Guests at Helsinki Strand

See Update Below

I'm here now in the hotel and arrived as the new rules went into play. The Strand is my home away from home and, frankly, I'm not sure I like the new rules.

So, let's go over the changes as far as I know as it relates to the Strand:

1. Executive lounge. I wasn't given a room on the executive floor, but my room key did open the lounge. This is wonderful and a real improvement at the hotel.

2. Upgrades. So, upon check-in, I was "upgraded" to a "business" room. Now, on previous stays, a "business" room came with free Internet service for each night of the stay. I'm told this continues to be the case for *paid* business class rooms. However, if you're upgraded into one, you get the room, but no Internet access for free. As this hotel runs its own Internet access, no longer using one of the Finnish providers, you pretty much are a captive audience and their usurious charge per day is €20 for WiFi internet in your room with no break for longer windows of purchasing (i.e. 7 Day v. 1 Day ticket) There is a terminal in the lounge, of course, but that doesn't help with VPNing into your company's network. So, after they "upgraded me," it dawned on me a few hours later that I should ask what this upgrade really meant. Turns out the difference between a "business room" and a standard room is "a tea kettle and a FAX machine." Uh. Ok. Honestly, I'd say the same is true for the "Executive Floor" rooms. The rooms are all the same size in any case and have the same set up, minus changes in bed sizes. So, IMHO, if you're a Diamond, there's really no need to accept an upgrade here in any case, as the lounge will work on any floor and you can get the far more valuable Internet access for free as selection 2. They would not downgrade me after I'd made the decision I should have picked benefit number 2.

3. Reduced Internet benefit. The hotel used to give Diamonds free Internet access, whether they were upgraded or not (then again, I'm almost always "upgraded," so I am not sure if that was part of the upgraded room's benefit). That is now no longer the case. They will not give you free Internet access unless you choose option 2. I'm actually quite surprised that the Hilton charges anything at all considering the competition in town--Radisson, Scandic, etc.--generally gives WiFi access for free. It's even more insulting once you remember that this Hilton is actually OWNED by Scandic, but operated as a Hilton, meaning that the company's flagship hotel in Helsinki has crappier benefits than lesser hotels in town, like the Continental. I'm even more surprised that they'd reduce the benefit entirely, since the wording of option 2 seemingly allows the hotel to continue to offer WiFi as part of a rate offering and option 2 simply means you'd get "faster" access, whatever that would be. They've used it as an excuse to eliminate the benefit all together.

So, my advice? Don't upgrade your room if you need Internet access. The upgrade is not worth it in those cases. For Diamonds in particular, I don't think it's worth it at all... you could sell your Internet ticket in the lounge and pocket the money. Diamonds will still have lounge access no matter what, you'll just have to go to the 7th floor.

Any questions, just ask.

Timothy

Update: Upon arrival tonight, received an apology from the customer service manager at the Strand as to the confusion and thanked me for being a loyal customer. It seems there is still some confusion as to the new rules and I'm sure the vague nature of American benefit summaries don't translate well. Bravo to staff here for responding before I started doubting my hotel choice in Helsinki!

Note that this only reenforces your need to know the specific rules involved with the new program, confirm what an upgrade actually consists of (amenities, breakfast, lounge access, impact on Internet access, etc.) before accepting it. It also reminds one to be both patient, polite and insistent with hotel staff and to make an effort to build a relationship with hotels you stay at frequently.

As for mtn's item below, I can confirm that I'm not on seven and have had lounge access on seven since arrival on Friday.

Last edited by GodOSpoons; Aug 17, 2008 at 4:01 pm Reason: UPDATED INFO!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:16 am
mtn

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I stayed in Strand this week before the new Diamond benefits took place. I ask the new policy. I was told Diamond VIPS are allowed to access the lounge only if they have chosen the upgrade benefit (even if they are not upgraded). So if you choose free internet, you will not be upgraded and will not have access to executive lounge.

While my stay I was shocked with a horrible surprise of Hilton Strand. All hotel guests in Strand had a very unpleasant wake-up at 2.40 am. The fire alarm was activated and lasted for over 10 minutes. This was scaring and annoying. After 15 minutes they informed the fire alarm was false. They really spoiled my night.

I know they have been testing the fire alarm on many friday mornings. I prefer to sleap late. It is very inconvinient to wake up even at a fire alarm test in the morning.

I hope they will fix the fire alarm system so that I don't have wake up at night and don't have to listen to alarm testing early in the morning at 8.30 am.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:47 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Just stayed here again last night. Got the old "We are too full" so no Lounge access for you even if you are a Diamond story. It was late and I was tired so I didn't really care. If I was staying more than one night, I would have complained more. I stay here for the location only!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by DaChief
Just stayed here again last night. Got the old "We are too full" so no Lounge access for you even if you are a Diamond story. It was late and I was tired so I didn't really care. If I was staying more than one night, I would have complained more. I stay here for the location only!
Checked in very late last night and the lady on the front desk was very switched on to the new HH Diamond rules. There were no rooms on the 7th floor so I was offered points or wifi and assured that I would still be able to use the lounge which was indeed the case this morning ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.