Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks LassiJ.

I do think the removal of the spirits from the display and make them request only, for even this relatively short time, seems a little mean, especially if the staff member is slow to provide them!

I think those who feel unhappy or disappointed with the arrangements should feed them back to the hotel management.

I will be there next month, so look forward to seeing the renovated property.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Maybe there has been feedback, yesterday self service selection was:
- Gordon's gin
- Smirnoff vodka
- Jameson whisky
- wines red/white/sparkling
- beer
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
No Rum?
No Bourbon?
No Baileys?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Probably available upon request, I didn't ask though.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Staying here at the moment.

was upgraded to an Executive Room Plus, which looks almost identical to the photo in SPBanker's post, but with sofa facing the other direction.

One hot dish (duck - nice) and cold salads. Locusts devoured much between 17 and 17:30, but the food was refreshed. Cheese and dessert too.

A few spirit choices (Smirnoff Red, Gordon's Gin, Campari) available with Henessey cognac on request. Spririts and food available between 17 and 19 hours. Wine (white, cava and red - not great quality) from 17 to 21 hours.

Renovation is nice.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
I was pre-upgraded (did the OLCI via APP) to an Executive Room Plus facing the river, lovely views from the 7th floor!

Executive lounge was suberb; hot dish served between 17-19 and it was sautéed reindeer, which was quite tasty. Salmon appetizes, salads, cheese and a small dessert. Open bar 17-21.

I had the breakfast downstairs in the restaurant and it was really good, and the selection was far better than in the lounge (due to the limited space in the EL). Nice smoothies and excellent bacon!

Renevation is now completed, so everything was brand new. Really enjoyed my stay!
Old May 8, 2016, 6:27 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
We had Mother's Day lunch at Restaurant Bro (not short for 'brother', rather 'bridge' in Swedish). Excellent food. The renovated interior is a bit too busy/cluttered for my taste, but I really liked the bar!
Attached Images   
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:50 am

Hi. So, I am starting to think about my winter vacation and I thought maybe I could get some input from my friends here. Planning on spending the Christmas period in Helsinki--from the 12/23 through the 27th (the dates have already been set with my employer, so I can't change them!).

Background: A few years ago, I had an unanticipated layover in Helsinki over Christmas eve through the Christmas day, and the mid-range hotel I stayed at went bare minimum with service for Christmas--e.g., hotel restaurant suspended service from the lunch on the 24th through the 25th, only a very small number of employees were taking care of all of the guests, creating chaos during checkout, etc.

Questions: Could anybody tell me if the Strand usually maintains its regular operations through Christmas?

Thanks so much for any input you might be able to give me!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
I was pre-upgraded (did the OLCI via APP) to an Executive Room Plus facing the river, lovely views from the 7th floor!
Now you really make me curious - what river is that?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:01 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Now you really make me curious - what river is that?
To be fair, hotel website calls that body of water "river":

Hilton Guest Room
Enjoy your stay in this bright and airy 30m˛/323sq.ft room with wireless internet access. The contemporary room, in cool, calm tones, features large opening windows and river or courtyard views. Get to work at the large desk or relax in the easy chair. Some rooms have a mini chaise longue.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I've booked a 4-night stay for what I consider a very good price in July (€87,50/night). The room is "single compact" but on the upgrade page, it says "Originally booked room: Hilton guest room 30 m2".

Could anyone confirm whether the "single compact" is indeed 30 m2? The size was not mentioned in their website's description, nor does Hotels.com mention the size even if they're usually good at this.

Moreover, does the Strand offer bathtubs in all rooms? And after the renovations, do they have fitted carpets in any rooms anymore?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Quoting myself in order to answer my own questions in the hope of being helpful to future visitors.

Originally Posted by ffay005
Could anyone confirm whether the "single compact" is indeed 30 m2? The size was not mentioned in their website's description, nor does Hotels.com mention the size even if they're usually good at this.
The hotel does have a handful (less than 20) of really small rooms that they call "single compact". When you book such a room, they automatically upgrade you to a regular-sized twin room if there's availability. The compacts are the last rooms to be occupied.

The regular rooms are not 30 m2 as stated in the reservation, but more like 20-25 m2 with the bathroom included.

Moreover, does the Strand offer bathtubs in all rooms? And after the renovations, do they have fitted carpets in any rooms anymore?
All rooms come with a rather large and deep bathtub. ^ Half the rooms have fitted carpets and the other half parquet-like laminate.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The hotel does have a handful (less than 20) of really small rooms that they call "single compact". When you book such a room, they automatically upgrade you to a regular-sized twin room if there's availability. The compacts are the last rooms to be occupied.
But if you book one, and you arrive late, then potentially that's what you'll end up with. Single (aka twin in the US) bed, and a room size that would feel more at home in an Ibis than a Hilton.

On the one occasion I got stuck in one of those rooms, they did make sure that it was for the one night only, and moved me to a normal room on the Exec floor the following day. I'm not at all complaining because that is what I booked, but I'm glad I didn't end up in that room for the entire week!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Just checked into Hilton Helsinki Strand for one night. We were upgraded to King Executive Room, and the renovated rooms look very nice.

As noted, Atrium is completely gutted, but one can already see the new color scheme.

Temporary EL looks OK, will report back about the offerings. In the afternoon coffee, soda and sparkling water on offer. Food 18:00-20:30, drinks 18:00-21.45.

Although I really like this hotel, location, service and many other things, I'm not to happy with the room lay-out of the Exec rooms after renovation.

It's impossible to watch TV from the bed (pic 1 above) or even worse from the desk, behind the bed.

TV can be watched from the canapé (it's certainly no sofa) which sits one person only, if you are two, you have to take turns watching TV

This has been designed by someone never staying in hotels
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:25 pm

I had a suite at this hotel about a month ago - one large 6-seater round table in the middle of the main room (bedroom separate) but no work desk. Unfortunately I was alone and had no one to entertain in my room, but a pile of work to get done and a desk would have been very nice. Another problem, there were no power points within reach of my laptop cable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.