Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed at the hotel last weekend.

Similar experience to paul4040.

Booked an Executive room and was upgraded to a Business suite - basically two standard bedrooms and a connecting door, with one converted into a lounge.

Two bathrooms.

Clean, operational (TV in living room had few channels) nice view over bay from 6th floor. Dated, certainly!

The Executive lounge on the 7th floor was nice. Snacks not extensive, but good quality. Wine - did not try it but looked cheap. Strange, as the few spirits were of reasonable quality.

Breakfast was fine, but nothing too special.

Staff reasonably friendly, although we had little interaction.

Despite being dated, I would probably stay there again, particularly if I get a good rate.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
My wife and I stayed here last weekend. We were upgraded to a deluxe room with executive lounge access. Room was fine with nice view over the water.

Staff were all very friendly and dealt with our needs and questions very well.

Executive lounge was rammed on Saturday night - people waiting for seats. the young lady running the lounge did a tremendous job of keeping tables cleared and the food and drink replenished.

The wine is really awful but there are spirits, beers and soft drinks available as well. Breakfast was a small selection of hot food and usual cold choices. Evening food choices were pretty basic so didn't really bother.

There is a great Nepalese restaurant very close to the hotel - amazing food and not too expensive.

View over water

Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: M&M mainly
Seems the Saturday night in the executive lounge started to be race to free chair, last time I was in Hilton Helsinki Strand, there was actually a queue, food dissappeard in 3 minutes, thanks apparently hungry Russian family. They were also thirsty as cognac was nonexistant any longer after they left. Only 1 hot dish (if onion rings can be called dish), one type (not the best I would say) of wine. Breakfast - if you are breakfast person - go downstairs, the EL options are very limited.
Decor - mid 70ties, golden elements, plastic - bombastic. However clean and with lovely staff.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Hilton - Diamond
Stayed here recently. I liked the hotel quite a bit, agree with many of the posters here that the hotel is in need of refurbishment, but it's a bit overstated. I like the glass elevators and the atrium with breakfast, I think it's a good look. The hotel is clean and comfortable. I was upgraded as a Diamond to the exec level, had a nice room that was close to the lounge. The lounge was never busy when I was there, but then again it was late November, so who would go to Helsinki for pleasure. Only complaint I have is the gym is straight from the 80s, I think all their cardio equipment needs to go at this point. I did really like the pool that has a fish tank for a wall, it's very 80s but I still like it.

I stayed at the airport location as well. Newer everything out there and the lounge was very nice as well. No complaints there either.

Both locations the staff was excellent. I accidentally overslept till 2:00 pm on my last night downtown and they didn't say anything at checkout.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msmont
I stayed at the airport location as well. Newer everything out there and the lounge was very nice as well. No complaints there either.
The airport Hilton always feels very sterile to me - but then again, for an airport location I'm not really going to say that's a bad thing!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Just FYI about this property...

"Dear Guest, We would like to inform you that our hotel will be upgrading facilities from December 15, 2014 to December 31, 2015. The hotel will be open during the entire process. Starting from December 22, 2014 the Executive Lounge will be operating in the Bridges Corner at the ground floor. The sauna and swimming pool will be closed December 29, 2014 – July 31, 2015. The gym will be closed December 12, 2014 – December 31, 2015. Do not hesitate to ask our Reception Team should you need any further information. Thank you very much for your understanding!"
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Hmmm i wonder if it will be a full reno like Rotterdam or something less in scope. A year doesn't seem like long enough for the former, based on the RTM time line.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the heads up.

I have a short stay booked there for May this year; is it worth switching to Kalastajatorppa, given that there will be no gym and potentially quite a lot of disruption?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cymro
Thanks for the heads up.

I have a short stay booked there for May this year; is it worth switching to Kalastajatorppa, given that there will be no gym and potentially quite a lot of disruption?
Kalastajatorppa is a better hotel, but it's somewhat in the middle of nowhere. If you care at all for location, either stay at the Strand, or pick a different chain. If location isn't important, Kalastajatorppa is good.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Cymro
Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by docbert
Kalastajatorppa is a better hotel, but it's somewhat in the middle of nowhere. If you care at all for location, either stay at the Strand, or pick a different chain. If location isn't important, Kalastajatorppa is good.
Kalastajatorppa is my favorite hotel in Helsinki and I would pick it also for the location, if you like high-end peaceful and beautiful surroundings. They even have two small private beaches, tennis courts and a small marina.

The gym is bigger than at the Strand, although it is separated from the saunas and the pool, which are close to the sea. In the summer I've had nice morning swims in the sea with a quick sauna afterwards. After that it is a 30 min tram ride to the center. Years ago they even had a boat taking you to the Helsinki marketplace. Unfortunately that is long gone, although you could probably order yourself a water taxi just for fun.

An advantage for the Strand is that they have an exec lounge, which the Kalastajatorppa still lacks.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
EL Happy Hour and Breakfast Times/Options?

Will be at this property in Feb for a Fri-Mon stay.

From this thread I gathered that the EL HH is until 8:30 PM on week days, 8:00 on weekends. Will Friday count as a weekday, or weekend (asking because arriving that evening)?

Also, does anyone know what time breakfast service starts and ends? And can HHDs choose b/w the EL and restaurant for breakfast?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Will be at this property in Feb for a Fri-Mon stay.

From this thread I gathered that the EL HH is until 8:30 PM on week days, 8:00 on weekends. Will Friday count as a weekday, or weekend (asking because arriving that evening)?

Also, does anyone know what time breakfast service starts and ends? And can HHDs choose b/w the EL and restaurant for breakfast?

Thanks!
The lounge is open from 10 am - 11pm.

Food will be served from 6pm - 08:30 pm on week days,Friday counts as one.

BF is only available in the main dining area currently,not in the lounge.

For BF times I'll have to ask as I'm right here at the moment.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by moeser
The lounge is open from 10 am - 11pm.

Food will be served from 6pm - 08:30 pm on week days,Friday counts as one.

BF is only available in the main dining area currently,not in the lounge.

For BF times I'll have to ask as I'm right here at the moment.
Thanks moeser!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Has the lounge moved downstairs for the renovations?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
Has the lounge moved downstairs for the renovations?
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Just FYI about this property...

"Dear Guest, We would like to inform you that our hotel will be upgrading facilities from December 15, 2014 to December 31, 2015. The hotel will be open during the entire process. Starting from December 22, 2014 the Executive Lounge will be operating in the Bridges Corner at the ground floor. The sauna and swimming pool will be closed December 29, 2014 – July 31, 2015. The gym will be closed December 12, 2014 – December 31, 2015. Do not hesitate to ask our Reception Team should you need any further information. Thank you very much for your understanding!"
There you go..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.