Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
That's the first I've heard in a long time of any Hilton or Doubletree in the UK only giving Diamonds continental breakfast in the lounge and charging £10 to upgrade to the full buffet in the restaurant. Haven't stayed in every UK Hilton, but have stayed in quite a few. Always given full breakfast in the restaurant up to now. Many years ago, Manchester Airport Hilton used to do this but then they changed their policy. Even when UK Hiltons have Exec lounges serving breakfast, they've always given us the choice of having full breakfast in the restaurant at no extra charge.
Hilton Kensington has this " Diamonds take breakfast in the lounge" policy too , or at least they did when I stayed a few years back.......I had booked the room on a public sector code ( my lady works in the ps ) , this actually includes breakfast but they still insisted it was lounge only, I took it in the lounge but complained to manager on checkout, turned out I was correct and should have been restaurant......they comped the parking .
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:45 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by tomparskate
This unfortunately isn't the case for myself. I called Hilton Manchester Deansgate to enquire about their policy with Breakfast for HHonors Gold Members and they said unless you are in an executive room you can dine in the lounge alternatively you would have to pay full price for breakfast down in the restaurant!

And this is meant to be one of Manchester's top hotels...
Strange. As a diamond booking standard rooms and not always upgraded, we have always had the choice of taking breakfast in the lounge or the full buffet breakfast in the restaurant at Deansgate. Have stayed there many times over the years and never had any problems like those being experienced at the Hilton Glasgow now. It's a while since we were at the Hilton Glasgow, but won't be rushing back if that's their new policy.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I stayed in the Glasgow Hilton last year and ate breakfast in the restaurant with no additional charges mentioned.

Their exec lounge is really pretty grim too - a windowless room.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Hilton Kensington has this " Diamonds take breakfast in the lounge" policy too , or at least they did when I stayed a few years back.......I had booked the room on a public sector code ( my lady works in the ps ) , this actually includes breakfast but they still insisted it was lounge only, I took it in the lounge but complained to manager on checkout, turned out I was correct and should have been restaurant......they comped the parking .
They must have changed there policy as I have stayed there in 17 and 18, and as a Diamond was told I could take it in the Restaurant.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
They must have changed there policy as I have stayed there in 17 and 18, and as a Diamond was told I could take it in the Restaurant.
Oh ok, fair play...... this was back in Easter 2015 I believe , may have been 2014...... that's good to know.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes it’s bad, but I just don’t see a reason to stay here over the DT on Cambridge Street.
Just make sure to check your folio when staying at the DT! Was inexplicably charged nearly $300 after checkout on a full points stay (and to the then-Surpass I had on my HH profile, not the card I gave them for incidentals). Took several phone calls over more than a week to get it resolved, got no communication whatsoever (much less explanation) from management, and I took a hit on forex too.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I stayed in DT Manchester Deansgate and Hilton Kensington and Glasgow in 2018 and was offered full restaraunt breakfast in all of them.

Never been charged for breakfast in the UK, never been charged for 2 adults + 2 kids either.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond KLM gold
Stayed 14 Feb. Nothing mentioned about where I could have breakfast. Went to the restaurant first for my porridge and whisky and finished up in EL for a coffee. No problem at all. Very enjoyable visit other than the Valencia score.
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Diamond member refused lounge access

Despite having stayed at this hotel over 20 times in the last 10 years and been delighted by the ambience and friendly hospitality this was not the case when we stayed early in January . There was a massive quewe when we arrived and being diamond members my partner and I we were ignored by reception staff . We booked a deluxe room but when I asked about our access to the lounge we were told that the lounge was full of executive floor guests and we would not be able to have access .

This is a privilege afforded to all diamond members around the world . This we had to pay a premium price for our drinks and breakfast . Duty Manager some very abrupt lady could not care less and said she would get back to us later which she never did .

Disgusted and very disappintes indeed .
Source https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...d.html?m=19905

It's incredible to deny a Diamond member access to the lounge. Sums up this hotel. No real apology from the manager either.

I note the GM's supposed replies on TA are now nameless.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I would have given 1* instead of 2 on Tripadvisor if they did that to me!! He’s still nice.
wizla likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m reading on TA that spirits are not served in the EL Friday to Sunday? Is that true?

I don’t know how they can get away with this. What’s the point of a brand standard and it costs FA to
put out a bottle of Beefeater. Sunday is a bit odd as well.

Full offerings at all times at DT Glasgow.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I’m reading on TA that spirits are not served in the EL Friday to Sunday? Is that true?

I don’t know how they can get away with this. What’s the point of a brand standard and it costs FA to
put out a bottle of Beefeater. Sunday is a bit odd as well.

Full offerings at all times at DT Glasgow.
Not sure about brand standards but Hilton Manchester deansgate does the same ( no spirits fri and sat ) also another Hilton ( can’t remember which one ) does the same.
Generally at weekends you get different clientele in lounges who tend to freeload , where during the week it’s mainly business guests who are somewhat more reserved......... it’s a shame but I’ve seen this many times.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Stayed here Friday last week for the first time in a while. Since the DoubleTree opened it has become my default in Glasgow. In my view the DT offers better service, lounge, rooms and location.

I was working near the Hilton so thought I'd give it a try for a change. Booked a king room on a £77 sale rate. Pre upgraded the morning of the stay to a King Executive room. I choose one on the 19th floor (one with the pointy windows). They now support digital key here. Room was absolutely fine and clean, but they are getting on and could do with a refurb.

Executive lounge had the usual dungeon feel. Some of the same totally clapped out furniture that's been in there for as long as I've been going, so coming on 10 years. They did have spirits on though on the Friday night. The food looked lovely, though we were running late and didn't get a chance to try much.

Breakfast in the morning was well stocked and tasty. Full breakfast included as gold. They seem to have a special zone in the restaurant to the right hand side reserved for just gold and diamond members, which was quiet and seemed to have slightly nicer furniture than the rest of the restaurant.
I notice they've just relaunch the restaurant too: https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-...opens-17647331

So overall, a pretty good stay. No back and forth on upgrades or breakfast as I've had in the past here. I saw on Facebook there is talk of a multi-million pound refurb of the rooms on the cards, it really is needed and overdue.
wizla likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
It’s the parking that always kills it for me now.
The last time I stayed here it was £15, the Doubletree always comp it.

So when I’m looking for the best deal, I always need to factor in that extra £15.

Did stay there last year and agree that the lounge food was good, it was just the fact you had to eat it in a windowless room with no atmosphere.

I always remember the breakfast being good, but after going through a phase of having coffee machines accessible, the last time I was in there they’d fenced them off.
I know you can go in the lounge, it just seems a bit daft.

It’s major advantage is it’s proximity to the “Bon accord” pub!
wizla likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Stayed here Friday last week for the first time in a while. Since the DoubleTree opened it has become my default in Glasgow. In my view the DT offers better service, lounge, rooms and location.

I was working near the Hilton so thought I'd give it a try for a change. Booked a king room on a £77 sale rate. Pre upgraded the morning of the stay to a King Executive room. I choose one on the 19th floor (one with the pointy windows). They now support digital key here. Room was absolutely fine and clean, but they are getting on and could do with a refurb.

Executive lounge had the usual dungeon feel. Some of the same totally clapped out furniture that's been in there for as long as I've been going, so coming on 10 years. They did have spirits on though on the Friday night. The food looked lovely, though we were running late and didn't get a chance to try much.

Breakfast in the morning was well stocked and tasty. Full breakfast included as gold. They seem to have a special zone in the restaurant to the right hand side reserved for just gold and diamond members, which was quiet and seemed to have slightly nicer furniture than the rest of the restaurant.
I notice they've just relaunch the restaurant too: https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-...opens-17647331

So overall, a pretty good stay. No back and forth on upgrades or breakfast as I've had in the past here. I saw on Facebook there is talk of a multi-million pound refurb of the rooms on the cards, it really is needed and overdue.
Last time I was there was when I met you in the lounge, that was a few years back!...... glad you are still using / reviewing Hilton’s......thanks for the trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.