Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Olympic teams at Hilton Glasgow extra security

Stayed at Hilton Glasgow night of July30. My fifth visit there, but first in two years.
Same great service they always have.
Lobby is remodeled and other remodeling is going on.
More notably, Olympic teams (soccer) are there so security is a bit crazy (car inspections in driveway, metal detectors and bag Xray to get in, cops with assault rifles and more security guards in general than you can count, etc.). But everyone was very polite and nice (but also super observant). They would not say who was here or how long it would go, but I was able to figure out that the several Olympic futbol teams are here.
It took longer than usual to get my car brought up for the same reasons so you might add an extra 20 minutes for that.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Mixed stay recently here, still a bit on the fence what to think.

I contacted the hotel after booking to request an upgrade, taking note of the fact 1 child was also with us and so would need extra bedding. The reply arrived stating executive rooms and above could not take an extra bed, so they suggested a double double deluxe. This seemed sensible and very good service.

Hilton Glasgow is one of my favourite hotels in the Uk, but I am feeling a little jaded perhaps...........

On arrival, room on seventh floor of 22 floors. Bedrooms start on floor 5. Profile preference is a high floor, and here the higher floors do have excellent views. It was a westerly facing room, towards the university, which is the better side, but at this level motorway noise was in the background.

Room had been refurbished and was nice, very comfortable beds. Bit dusty. No amenities in room, no water, robes, welcome amenity, card etc which was a little dissapointing. It took 4 callls to get water in the room, and to be fair robes were delivered quickly. There were no other amenities. Not the end of the world, but disappointing.

This wasn't the Glasgow Hilton I was used to.

My concern was the piping. It was noisy. I think water pressure at this level is high. When a tap was turned on it was loud, and when next door used the water it made strange noises. We decided we could put up with it.

Lounge was fine, although hosts a little distant. Did find it unusual that drinks were served by staff rather than to help yourself, but it was ok. I understand the lounge on the ground floor is larger, but I preferred the views higher up.

Second night no water in room, and we could not take it from the lounge, not the end of the world. Was sent up when asked at reception, so fair enough, but I feel I shouldn't need to prompt this. Felt a bit like we were in a deluxe room, so weren't entitled to anything else. Slept well, decided beds were amongst the best ever.

In the morning we went to the main restaurant for breakfast, but were told we couldn't use it as we had not paid, unless of course we were ok with the charge. Bit of a shame, not what reception had said.

I like the hotel, I like the location, I love the views higher up. Felt a little less recognised this time, maybe because I wasn't on an exec floor (I checked and junior suites were available which might have fitted us in?). The room was nice, but the 7th floor is too low down to make the most of the views/ avoid road noise. I don't want to be ungrateful. I felt to start the room idea was good and showed good customer service, but it was spoilt by little things. As I said before, beds were very comfortable and amongst the best ever.

Not a bad stay, but nothing special. The hotel ticked all it had to, with the exception of bottled water, but didn't go any further. The hotel was not busy. The pool was good, and I miss Minskys!

The corner rooms are now sold as deluxe rooms, and the double double rooms are the ones with the traingley window on the floors lower down. The four top floor corner rooms with balconies which were exec rooms now appear to be junior suites, and as a poster said a while ago, there appears to be just two suites on the top floor.

Last edited by Skimanant; Jun 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Second night no water in room, and we could not take it from the lounge, not the end of the world. Was sent up when asked at reception, so fair enough, but I feel I shouldn't need to prompt this. Felt a bit like we were in a deluxe room, so weren't entitled to anything else.
Just a note that entitlement is two bottles of water per stay, not per night, so the hotel acted correctly here.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
True, but a number of hotels provide more than the minima
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Lounge was fine, although hosts a little distant. Did find it unusual that drinks were served by staff rather than to help yourself, but it was ok. I understand the lounge on the ground floor is larger, but I preferred the views higher up.
Are you saying that they have two Executive lounges?

I thought the Exec lounge was on the ground floor since being moved from the 19th floor some years ago?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:44 pm

No, one lounge, around the corner from reception, past the hairdresser/ salon.

Was just commenting that (a few years ago!!), the lounge up top had great views and I preferred it for this- the new one on ground is bigger but has less "atmosphere". Nothing wrong with it, some very nice cheese, just unusual drinks were served (I have actually never seen that before).

However, I have also been in lounges where the guests have taken whole bottles back and put them in the middle of the table, felt sorry for the lounge staff as it can be awkward, so in a way I'm not over surprised.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Stayed here the night of June 1st. Was told the lounge was on the ground floor. In the evening it was crowded, noisy, unbearable. I did a fast exit after a glass of not too good wine. Breakfast next morning was more civilized with the tables set with tablecloths. I wish this lounge would be more like the Hilton Heathrow Terminal 5 or the Hilton Frankfurt Airport.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
No, one lounge, around the corner from reception, past the hairdresser/ salon.

Was just commenting that (a few years ago!!), the lounge up top had great views and I preferred it for this- the new one on ground is bigger but has less "atmosphere". Nothing wrong with it, some very nice cheese, just unusual drinks were served (I have actually never seen that before).

However, I have also been in lounges where the guests have taken whole bottles back and put them in the middle of the table, felt sorry for the lounge staff as it can be awkward, so in a way I'm not over surprised.
I also preferred the old lounge, the lack of any windows in the current lounge is off-putting.
The old lounge on the 19th floor was nicer but far too small!
I recall a visit at the weekend shortly before it moved downstairs, it was full of hen and stag parties who had pushed all the tables together and were obviously just optimising the availability of free alcohol!
We couldn't get a seat and made a hasty exit!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by adobbing
I also preferred the old lounge, the lack of any windows in the current lounge is off-putting.
The old lounge on the 19th floor was nicer but far too small!
I recall a visit at the weekend shortly before it moved downstairs, it was full of hen and stag parties who had pushed all the tables together and were obviously just optimising the availability of free alcohol!
We couldn't get a seat and made a hasty exit!
My wife and I spent 3 nights here in mid-May. The lounge was fine on our first evening (a Thursday), but on Saturday evening it was completely full, and noisy. My wife and I left quickly. The hotel seemed busy during our stay. There were multiple concerts at the SECC and some of the crew for at least one show were staying at the hotel on one night. We were staying on a reward stay and got exactly the room that we booked: a twin! It was on a lower floor and had two twin sized beds. I wasn't thrilled, but I did indeed book the room type, although I had expected and hoped for something a bit nicer as a Diamond.

We had better luck with upgrades in Edinburgh (Caledonian and Grosvenor), but that probably belongs in another thread.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jefftiger
My wife and I spent 3 nights here in mid-May. The lounge was fine on our first evening (a Thursday), but on Saturday evening it was completely full, and noisy. My wife and I left quickly. The hotel seemed busy during our stay. There were multiple concerts at the SECC and some of the crew for at least one show were staying at the hotel on one night. We were staying on a reward stay and got exactly the room that we booked: a twin! It was on a lower floor and had two twin sized beds. I wasn't thrilled, but I did indeed book the room type, although I had expected and hoped for something a bit nicer as a Diamond.

We had better luck with upgrades in Edinburgh (Caledonian and Grosvenor), but that probably belongs in another thread.
I've always had issues with getting upgrades at the Glasgow Hilton, regularly being told there weren't any exec rooms, despite showing them on my phone exec room availability for that day.

For this very reason I stopped using them as I got fed up of the constant battle for any upgrades at all, preferring the Crowne Plaza where I never had the issue or the Glasgow Grosvenor where I always got an upgrade without even asking.

I tried them again last week because their rate was actually lower than the Glasgow Grosvenor, perhaps they've lost other business and had to cut their rates?
To my surprise I was upgraded to an exec room without asking, I ventured into the exec lounge but only had 1 non alcoholic drink and left soon afterwards.

I also stayed at the Glagow Grosvenor last week and as well as receiving an upgrade got a drinks voucher as a diamond.

I prefer the Grosvenor and unless you want to sit in a soulless room with no natural light drinking free booze all night, a free drink voucher in nicer surroundings would be my choice!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
I will be staying at the Hilton Glasgow for the very first time later this month.
Its a weekend trip with my wife. Booked a twin was hoping for upgrade to double exec but after reading this thread I am not holding out much hope.
Will post outcome after check in
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond KLM gold
Have stayed here on a number of times however due to the fact I only stay when Celtic are playing at home I have never received an upgrade as the hotel is usually full. Have found staff very friendly and easy walk into the centre of Glasgow
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by russ1h
I will be staying at the Hilton Glasgow for the very first time later this month.
Its a weekend trip with my wife. Booked a twin was hoping for upgrade to double exec but after reading this thread I am not holding out much hope.
Will post outcome after check in
I stayed at the Hilton Glasgow two weeks ago on a saturday night which was busy, and booked a twin (with a request for a double) as it was the cheapest and we were upgraded to an exec double on 18th floor, the upgrade showed up on online the moning we were due to check in.

As others have said the exec lounge does gets crowded in the evening with large groups of revellers after the free booze but hey if they've paid the 70odd gbp extra for the upgrade then good luck to them, as i got a silly cheap rate with a PR discount code

The pool area was very busy in the afternoon, with people queing for spa treatments by the looks of things which means there no chance for a swim. The breakfast in the lounge was very good, beat my expectations and many more hot options than the usual exec offering.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
Welcome to Flyertalk Gomac !

Thanks for your info on the upgrade. I may get a double exec after all.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
For my stay last saturday, I booked a Queen, got upgraded to King Exec. I could see the upgrade on the Hilton webside in the morning many hours before my arrival time. It made it very pleasant that I did not have to request anything at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.