Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:36 pm

hilton glasgow

Heya - seen various comments about the hilton glasgow. I am a regular DIA guest here. I've come to know the staff and how the hotel basically operates.

They do not garbage customers when they say the hotel exec level is full, they really mean it, i'm not kidding you. Their exec levels are 18,19,20. About 40-50 rooms. But these book out quickly.

If you can imagine, the Hilton in glasgow is one of the few top hotels for the town and there are many corporates here during the week (got a reasonable chance on weekends possibly). Many are returning DIA's and many are paying for exec rooms. So doubt you'll get a chance for an upgrade. You also get HEAPS of conferences here and in town, this seems to be the default place for guests, plus hordes of tour groups at times. Out of the past times i've stayed there in the past 6 months, i would say the hotel was FULLY BOOKED (ie needed to exercise forced DIA room) about 15-20% of the time. Not kidding!

When you do go for b/fast if you aren't upgraded, you should get them to check you off on the white piece of paper in minskys (buffet restaurant). Otherwise you will be charged.

As a guest, have had mixed deliveries of bonus gifts, gifts are usually a bottle of wine (half size) box of chocolates (4 pieces, belgian type) and a couple of apples and thank you card.

Hotel has a good gym and pool. Room service is dear and lounge has hot food 6-8pm (couple of hot dishes), alcohol, etc. Spirits on weekdays.

Lounge has an internet terminal (1). Wireless in lobby but u have to pay for a BT openzone membership. Net in room is £15/day.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
I stayed at the Glasgow Hilton a few weeks ago. Myself and several colleagues were all upgraded to Executive Level (Mostly diamonds, a few golds). I have always had good luck here with upgrades. Had a corner with a balcony on the top floor last year, which was great!

cat22
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
My wife and I stayed there on a reward in late April 2007. We phoned the front office manager in advance to suggest an executive level room and it was granted - we also scored one of the limited number of rooms with an alcove and bay window, facing west to the university (the better side). Exec Lounge, facing same direction, was OK though evening hors d'oeuvres were limited. For breakfast, however, I recall they had scrambled eggs and breakfast meat, as the British won't put up with the typical cold fare found in an exec lounge (scrambled eggs also at Manchester lounge). Lounge has computer terminal.

Diamond amenities in the room: full bottle of red wine and 4 chocolates in a box. Worthy of Hyatt! Also a note from the GM, typical shortbread with the coffee packets, still and sparkling waters, bathrobes etc. Very pleasant.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
On our stay we were offered breakfast in Minskys as well as breakfast in the lounge. Oh yeah, I forgot about the wine and chocolates and cookies!

cat22
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:18 pm

Update on Hltn GLA

Hi - bit of an update on the Hilton Glasgow, looks like they've been making a few changes at this property so thought i'd update the folks:

1/ LCD TV's - dunno if this is on all floors, but all the past times i've stay on the exec floors they've got new 32" LCD TV's. TV channels are average - standard UK channels, plus things like CNN, Fox Sports, etc.

2/ Varying amenities - getting some strange things happening, but basically if you're on the exec floors you get the 50ml crabtree la source products (moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner and body wash, plus a soap - typically the 50gm size soap), nail file, shower cap and shoe cloth. Sometimes they've put in promotional shavers (but rarely - only for a short while did i see them). On non exec floors - you get the same products (minus the nail file) at 27ml in size. Only one soap is provided. They used to provide two - another in the shower. Bathroom is made of marble of granite.

3/ Robes - only provided on exec floor, nothing new here.

4/ Room service menu - completely changed (and vastly improved in my opinion). If you want to be smart, i'd strongly recommend if u want to stay in your room ask them for the Minsky's buffet selection (its around GBP15-16) and they may give you a starter, main and desert at that price which is great value.

5/ Exec flr rooms include bottle water (full size 1L size) replenished daily. One bottle of strathmore still and one of sparkling.

6/ 'Upgrades' well exec floor is one thing, but getting a bigger room - not likely. There isn't much of a muchness between rooms except exec rooms are a little more renovated than others (ie floor 8, etc). Exec floors are 18, 19 and 20. The corner rooms (they call them family rooms) are a little larger and have a sofa bed and king bed layout only. Bed types come in two singles, 2 king (two singles put together) and a queen. On level 20 there are a few stranger laid out rooms but much of a muchness. There is one room with an outdoor balcony i've been in twice - but don't exepct to get here even if you're a Diamond.

7/ Gym - has free fruits and biscuits down there if you want a top up after a workout. Has an indoor pool as well. Closes at 930pm, last entry 9pm. Opens early (around 6 or 7 am). Is shared with locals but never super super busy. Has TV and music in there, bring your headphones and u can listen to the TV on the running machines (plug is below the TV screen).

8/ Lounge - yes as others have stated, has one PC terminal here with net access (free for guests). You can checkin and checkout on the lounge level (19). Morning as stated always has scrambled eggs and bacon. And cold meats (ham, salmon, etc). Fresh fruits and chopped fruits, with a range of yoghurts. Cereals, and nuts/raisins/dried fruits plus selection of teas and coffee machine. Range of pastries, plus toaster. Attentive service with view out over Glasgow from 2 seats and from the lounge area.

Evening in lounge - changed selection to mostly deep fried stuff (spring rolls, weird prawn things, etc). Alcohol served 6-8pm only. Before then you can get soft drinks etc if u ask. They also have biscuits before 6pm and if you ask they bring out sandwiches etc during the day for you. Lounge also has about a range of 4 canapes plus some cheeses, grapes, fruits and fresh chopped vegetables/olives, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:08 pm
Original Member

Stayed last weekend on dinner first night bed and breakfast rate. Booked a standard room, received upgraded to room on the 19th floor.

Changes as outlined by kawoh are still correct. Afternoon tea in the lounge was sandwiches plus cake / scone selection. Lounge staff were very good and attentive. The lounge was never very busy, which is a welcome change from a few years ago where it tended to be full to busting of drunk guest who were smoking.

Buffet in Minskys was as good as normal. Some minor refurb has occured to the food serving area, but the food selection has not changed much. Selection for breakfast was very comprehensive.

Ventured out for meal on Saturday to the India Quays which is near the exhibition centre. This was a very nice indian meal. Easy to drive to or a short taxi ride. Does have a web site.

This is one of our regular weekend break Hiltons in the UK, along with Newcastle. Very happy with this trip.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Glasgow Hilton- New Exec Lounge

Hi Folks.

I was staying at the Glasgow Hilton last night and chatting to one of the staff. She told me that the lounge on the 19th Floor is closing and will be relocated to the old Italian restaurant on the ground floor. It seems this will be a much larger lounge able to handle "up to 100" people. Told me it is due to open in May.

Anyone else heard any rumours or have definate information?

cheers

alan
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not stayed there since they refused exec lounge admittance for Diamonds not booked on the exec floors. The lounge was small but rarely crowded before or after that practice. Hopefully Diamonds will sometimes get lounge admittance.

MisterNice
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CO Silver, IC Plat, Marriott Silver
And does that mean "booked on" or "upgraded to" - what are the chances of an upgrade for Diamond Hhonors folks?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:36 am

inhouse now

After all these horror stories \i actually drove to the hotel early so I
could cancel if not given access.
it was automatic and I also received a bigger end room. The club is nice the only compaint I have is that the one computer is not time accessed so anyone on it has unlimited time. and the kids playing games are a real pissoff!!!
maybe as there is only one computer there should be a 15 or 30 min time limit and then if no one wants to continue to use but absolutely no unsupervised children using the computer as a baby sitter"!-sorry to those who do but its unacceptable.
a bit like the cavalieri.
i do like the hotel even though we are commuting to edi every day!(its the edi festival!)
Old Aug 8, 2008, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
After all these horror stories \i actually drove to the hotel early so I
could cancel if not given access.
it was automatic and I also received a bigger end room. The club is nice the only compaint I have is that the one computer is not time accessed so anyone on it has unlimited time. and the kids playing games are a real pissoff!!!
maybe as there is only one computer there should be a 15 or 30 min time limit and then if no one wants to continue to use but absolutely no unsupervised children using the computer as a baby sitter"!-sorry to those who do but its unacceptable.
a bit like the cavalieri.
i do like the hotel even though we are commuting to edi every day!(its the edi festival!)
After my stay at this property during the first week in July I cannot be quite as gracious as you are.

Not having used the old lounge I cannot compare but the place is really not much to write home about and getting access was a bit of a pain in the a**.

Checked in and got two rooms but not on the executive floor since our stay was for just one night I didnt bother to complain.
Amenity: half-bottle of Chilean cab, some chocolates and fruit.
Asked at the front desk if we had lounge access and was told yes ( info on keyfolder even had info relative to lounge .. so did not argue.

Sure enough turned up at the lounge and was denied accesss.. back to front desk and after requesting to speak to a manager (and making the point that in general only UK Hiltons seem to be sticking to the no lounge if not on the executive floor BS) was sort of grudgingly given access.

Some sort of lame excuse was given that the front desk csr who checked us in was new and they had meant to upgrade us to to executive floor but those rooms were given to someone else and that we got the wrong key folder... blah, blah, blah.

OK property but because of the road construction getting can be a problem arriving by car and later that night the road entrance to the hotel was blocked off.

mike
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH Blue, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold,Amex Platinum
I stayed at this hotel last week as a gold and was upgraded to the exec floor and had access to the lounge. The room was nice and had a couple of large bottles of free water. I thought the lounge was excellent, pretty large, comfortable with a good selection of drinks and snacks including bottles of Stella and Becks. The lounge is open while 10pm but the bar and snacks close around 8pm, I was in there with a colleague and the guy in charge of the lounge was good enough to come around and ask everybody if they wanted another drink before he closed the bar. I have stayed in many UK Hiltons and would rate the lounge at the Glasgow Hilton as the best I have been in, followed in second place by the Heathrow Hilton.

Overall the Glasgow Hilton is a great hotel in my opinion, Camerons restaurant in the hotel is also well recommended and does excellent steaks.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Amenity: half-bottle of Chilean cab, some chocolates and fruit.
mike
youre lucky I have never been given anything but water as diamond.
but yes the staff at the lounge are extremely good!!!
its the access to computer that I feel needs some thought
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold
Considering a stay in March. I was wondering what the recent experience has been for HH Golds that have stayed here regarding Upgrades?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:20 am
Original Member

Stayed last night. Upgraded to a family room on the 16th floor, which is slightly larger. Given access to the new lounge. This is now on level 2 (reception level) near the hairdresser / shop in what used to be a small restaurant. Lounge is much bigger than the 19th floor old one, with about 50 chairs or so. I like the new lounge. It is easier to have a pre dinner drink without waiting for lifts etc, and is bigger. Down sides, no view and more difficult to sneak a drink to your room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.