Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:47 am
cjd

Have only stayed at the Glasgow Hilton. This is the neareast Hilton to the city centre and is next door to the the Marriott. The Grosvenor Hilton is about 2 miles from the centre. The other 2 Hiltons at Strathclyde and East Kilbride, are a long way out on the outskirts of Glasgow, but are cheaper properties and could be useful as a touring base but I have no experience of what these properties are like. The Glasgow Hilton itself is a 5-star property with air conditioning in all rooms and is in my opinion an excellent hotel. Very modern hotel and as Diamond they should give you access to the pleasant Executive lounge. Nice fitness centre and the hotel has great staff. Car parking is Ł5 in the secure underground car park. They often have special offers which are for 2 nights and include breakfast each morning and dinner on the first night for a price of Ł199, I think. My wife and daughter have used these offers a couple of times to enjoy the Glasgow shopping and really enjoyed the service and meals at the hotel. We have Diamond mutual status so their evening trips to the Executive lounge with complimentary drinks were an extra bonus! Also got HHonors points on these special rates.

Chris

Last edited by cjd; Oct 31, 2004 at 1:51 am
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:59 pm

Hilton Glasgow -- decent stay

Stayed here two nights last week. Quick check-in, polite, nice room, upgraded to executive level with excellent, quiet climate control. Unfortunately the room had a connecting door to a room with a couple with a screaming baby, so sound insulation wasn't that great (baby settled down later on or I would have asked to be moved).

There were two terry robes, a bottle of wine and a generic welcome card. Plumbing worked properly.

Lounge: ok not great, just one free internet terminal in there being monopolized by a young guy reading an online newspaper in Arabic about the London terrorist bombing and taking detailed written notes (I finally asked how much longer he'd be and he left). Basic free continental + eggs/bacon breakfast options with not much variety but adequate. Lounge open all day, service so-so; "tea" had uninspired little sandwiches and cakes, nothing special, kind of dried out.

On a Saturday night at 7PM there was no concierge available. The reception person filling in knew almost nothing about restaurant questions (not even about a couple restaurants on the list handed to us at check-in, hadn't heard of the place). Getting a cab was interesting -- none waiting, we told the valet we wanted a cab, he pointed to a driverless one sitting there and said the driver was "getting change." Fifteen minutes later we're still standing there waiting for the driver getting "change" (or a whiskey?), valet would not call another cab, just cheerfully told us to wait for the guy. We went inside, again were told to wait for the "change" guy, that we "shouldn't worry." Not sure if he was waiting to have his palm greased or what.

On our second night we had a 2:30 "emergency situation" arise and had to vacate the hotel for an hour or so to the street (the next AM we were told it was a false alarm, after several fire trucks showed up and decided a smoke alarm had erroneously gone off with no smoke). We went back to our rooms, an hour later, another "emergency situation" alarm jarred us awake, back to the street we went, then back up walking 18 flights again real soon when the firemen again turned off the malfunctioning alarm.

The location is not great for tourists though it's considered "downtown" -- no convenient underground or walk-to restaurants outside the hotel, not much going on around the hotel, no shops or sites, had to take cabs. Next time I might try the other Hilton in Glasgow (easy walk to colorful West End restaurants and the park there).
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:35 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Hilton Glasgow - mixed feelings

We had a recent two night award stay at the Hilton Glasgow. This was our second time at this hotel.

We were treated well - upgraded to the executive floor, no problem with lounge access, the room was well away from the elevator and quite quiet.

My problem - well we had to leave early on a Wednesday morning to catch the 9:00 am CO flight to EWR. CO requires that you arrive 3 hour prior to departure on this flight. We came down to check out at 5:40 am, were told that our incidentals totals Ł6, and did we want them on our credit card that we checked in with. We asked for a copy of the invoice and was told that there was a computer problem, but we would get a copy in the mail. They couldn't tell me what the Ł6 was for, but we were in a rush and it certainly was not a lot of money.

After waiting 10 days and not receiving the invoice, I emailed the hotel. Still no response, but I finally received the invoice - it was sent to Ireland instead of the US and eventually got routed to us. Here's the rub - the bill consisted of Ł5 for telephone (we made one 0800 phone call) and a Ł1 charity donation.

The phone charge seems absurd and there was no indication in the room that it would be that high for a toll free call (I'm used to an occassional Ł1 charge in the UK for this type of call) and no one ever asked or told me about the charity donation. Again, the amount of money is not an issue, and the hotel was fine except for that, but I am disappointed in this situation.

Am I just being too sensitive?

Larry

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 5, 2006 at 7:52 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following two mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It seems to be a special feature of UK Hiltons that they do some overnight run on their computer systems so that you end up having your bill mailed on if you want to check out before 7 at most properties.

As far as the phone charges are concerned, I lost the plot with the Glasgow Hilton last year for being charged for a "free" call to .... Hiton Reservations. That took the biscuit.

I would contact them and moan like hell.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Well, they never answered my email, but I got quite a few points for an award stay so I decided to just let it go!
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Hilton Glasgow 1 n ight Stay 30/06 - 01/07

Just back from a 1 night stay.

Arrived about 17:00 and check-in was very busy so went up to the Executive Lounge on the 19th floor to check-in.

Waited a few minutes for someone to appear then went to the kitchen area & asked if I could please check-in.

Checked in, no Diamond upgrade to the Executive level so no lounge access.

Room 1720 was nice and had a half bootle of white wine plus some chocolates as a welcome gift as well as robes & the usual slippers.

Down to Raffles for a drink (almost Ł10 for a pint plus a Tia Maria/Coke) where the staff seemed more interested in watching football than watching customers.

Dinner at Minsky's was a nice buffet with a couple of soups, Roast Beef, Roast Turkey and all the usual stuff.

Usual buffet breakfast in the morning which was OK.

Checked out & had to point out that as a Diamond the Ł27 breakfast charge should not have been on the bill since I was not upgraded & breakfast should be complimentary, this was promptly removed by the clerk.

Overall a nice stay but I would say that the Raffles bar is pricey (look out US $ people) and was dissapointed not to be upgraded as a Diamond when the hotel seemed to be full of leisure customers.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is one of my favorite Hiltons. Two very good/excellent restaurants too. The Minskys buffet is a bargain. The booze at the bar is really expensive and the smoke cloud was ugly (I dont know if the new Scotland no smoking kicked in yet). I learned to avoid the bar and drink in the exec lounge. The restaurant breakfast is excellent (both the buffet with grill). Best soft boiled eggs on the planet and they time them to whatever minute you specify. There was a open comp bottle of scotch at breakfast and drinks were free to the brave. Summary......a strange location but overall an excellect hotel.

MisterNice
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:54 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Angry When is an available room not an available room ? At the Glasgow Hilton !

I had the same experience as pmcg this evening ....

Arrived to be told no upgrade as no Exec rooms available, therefore no Exec Lounge access and breakfast available (no use to me as I will leave tomorrow v. early & will not eat b'fast)

But when I checked online in the room, there was an Executive Room for sale ........ So I made the call to the Exec Lounge and was told "Ah, Yes. It is available for sale, but not for Diamond upgrade ...... "

Can't believe this statement - is this a valid procedure @ Hiltons ?

In any case, I have emailed the Exec Lounge Manager who was gone home, and await her response. However, it is unlikely I will return to this hotel based on this experience ....
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Hi John.

Exactly thesame happened to me 2 weeks ago. Told no upgrades as exec floors full so went online and showing 5 available. Went the Exec lounge desk who confirmed this. Policy change a few weeks ago i was told. Need to be on the exec floor for access etc. Told them i don't like being lied to regarding no rooms on the exec floor. She called her manager who moved me into an exec room.

Filled out the card but no reply.

Staying tomorrow night so i am tempted to call in the afternoon and if not being upgraded i will ask to cancel (non ref rate!!)
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation

Would also warn others about checking their bill in the Glasgow Hilton.

I was on a project in Glaswgow for a prolngued period, and was staying Monday - Friday in the Glasgow Hilton. I guess 1 week out of 2, I had charges for items from the mini-bar on my bill, and sometimes I really had to argue with the front desk to get them removed.

Moral of the story - when staying in the Glasgow Hilton, check your bill thoroughly before check out.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:48 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Well guys, I spoke with the Exec Club host (not a manager) who was very apologetic and explained the new policy ad nauseum to me .... She even sent me a bottle of wine as a gesture of goodwill, which was appreciated by me, but didn't change the situation ...

I have emailed the Hhonors Lounge Manager and await her reply. I will let you know what I hear.

One way or the other, we need to use our pressure to ensure that these hotels don't ride roughshod over our (already reduced) entitlements at-will ....

If I don't get satisfaction here, I will go higher - very much a matter of principal ...

JP
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
It's already on my no-go list.

What's the point in being Diamond, getting no upgrade & then having to "query" your bill at check-out. We all know that some of the folks round about think we are being fussy and complaining for nothing.

Already filled out the standard questionaire & told them I wont be back.

Diamond Benefits, now that would be "nice" but none here "Sir".
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:31 am
cjd

Stayed for one night on 18 July and as Diamond was upgraded to a room on 20th floor, which is one of the three Executive Floors. Didn't have to ask for upgrade. The room was one of the smaller rooms - I personally like the end corner rooms which are on all levels. In the past have been given these on non-executive levels, but always given access to the Execitive lounge. I have stayed here numerous times and I would be very disappointed if this did not occur now as I have never in the past been refused access to the lounge. Anyway, can't complain about this as it hasn't happened to me(yet!) and it was a very pleasant stay. Enjoyed the Carvery dinner at Minsky's Restaurant.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Glasgow exec lounge is not very large and can get crowded at times. HINT: When it does I fill up a plate and fill up a glass and take it back to the room to relax a little before dinner. I have never had a problem dong this at the Glasgow Hilton unlike some other hotels.

MisterNice
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:28 am
JAP

cjd,

I would say that the likelihood is that from now on if you don't get u/g'd to the Exec floors, no dice on access to the Exec Lounge - new policy being rigidly implemented at this hotel ....

(And they are "lumping" Golds and Diamonds together when they give reasons - "well ..... as there are so many Golds & Diamonds ..... "" I DON'T CARE - I AM A DIAMOND!!!"" - sorry for shouting ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.