Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by adobbing
It’s the parking that always kills it for me now.
The last time I stayed here it was £15, the Doubletree always comp it.

I always remember the breakfast being good, but after going through a phase of having coffee machines accessible, the last time I was in there they’d fenced them off.
I know you can go in the lounge, it just seems a bit daft.
I think it's £12 now? I might be wrong though. I managed to dodge paying it this time, I forgot to tell reception the licence plate number and they had to buzz us out... oops!

They served tea/coffee to the table. I think the machines were still fenced off, they've created a coffee bar type thing right next to the food area.

Originally Posted by wizla
Last time I was there was when I met you in the lounge, that was a few years back!...... glad you are still using / reviewing Hilton’s......thanks for the trip report!
I remember Wizla Yep, still at it. Work has chipped away at the spare time of late to do many reviews . Off to Budapest in a few weeks, staying at Hilton Budapest. Looking forward to that one!
​​​
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
I think it's £12 now? I might be wrong though. I managed to dodge paying it this time, I forgot to tell reception the licence plate number and they had to buzz us out... oops!
​​​
You’re probably right with £12, although it’s still an extra I have to factor in which goes against it.

I also agree about the rooms, I don’t think they’ve had much attention since Prince Phillip opened it!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: hhonors diamond

They served tea/coffee to the table. I think the machines were still fenced off, they've created a coffee bar type thing right next to the food area.

I remember Wizla Yep, still at it. Work has chipped away at the spare time of late to do many reviews . Off to Budapest in a few weeks, staying at Hilton Budapest. Looking forward to that one!
​​​
Good for you mate, I hope to get to try the two Hilton’s in Budapest some time, I hear it’s a beautiful place to visit!......all the best!
lifetimeblue likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Good for you mate, I hope to get to try the two Hilton’s in Budapest some time, I hear it’s a beautiful place to visit!......all the best!
stayed at the Hilton Budapest many years ago, I think they had a free shuttle from the airport.

lovely position on the other side of the river and a few nice bars close by.
It used to be a closed off area, accessible through a barrier controlled entrance.
with another hotel minibus shuttle from the hotel down to the nearest Metro Station.

Exec lounge area was very nice, with some very nice red wines.
from memory, they also left a full bottle of red wine in the room on arrival.

I remember the hotel restaurant there being very good as well!
wizla and lifetimeblue like this.

Last edited by adobbing; Feb 1, 2020 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We're staying later in February and thinking of taking the Airport Express From/To the airport. We arrive at 15:45, so lots of schedule. Our departure is at 06:45 on a Tuesday. I think that the 05:00 should be sufficient and not require us to take the 04:30. Any recent experiences/suggestions?

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
0525 arrival should be fine for 0645 flight, but the bus stops are a convoluted walk to/from the Hilton and I wouldn't really want to walk or wait in the cold at 5am in February with the risk of missing the bus by a minute if I woke up late

Even if you download the app and buy an open return ticket that would be £14 each, so average £14 each way if there are two of you. The Hilton website says a taxi is £15

If you want to save money on the first trip buy a combined bus/rail airport ticket from the 757 bus driver and go to Anderston station, which is also a convoluted walk to the Hilton
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:16 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the thoughts. It's really not about saving money (although I am inherently "frugal" by nature ). It's more about preferring to take local transit when not inconvenient, just because...

Yeah, I've looked at the routing. While it's technically short, the up-and-over is convoluted. Of course, we'd have scoped out the pickup point prior to that morning, so getting lost would be less likely. There is the 5AM cold thing.

Also, in pricing Uber (I avoid taxis in favor of rideshare having grown up with taxi shenanigans in NYC) says £14-£18, so about the same and certainly more convenient on the way to the airport.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by adobbing
stayed at the Hilton Budapest many years ago, I think they had a free shuttle from the airport.

lovely position on the other side of the river and a few nice bars close by.
It used to be a closed off area, accessible through a barrier controlled entrance.
with another hotel minibus shuttle from the hotel down to the nearest Metro Station.

Exec lounge area was very nice, with some very nice red wines.
from memory, they also left a full bottle of red wine in the room on arrival.

I remember the hotel restaurant there being very good as well!

​​​​​​​Thanks adobbing, looking forward to it even more now

I think I might switch to the other side for a few days and try one of the other Hiltons or Airbnb.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks adobbing, looking forward to it even more now

I think I might switch to the other side for a few days and try one of the other Hiltons or Airbnb.
No problem mate, enjoy!

Do bear in mind that it was probably around 2004 when I was there, so my memories may not represent how it is now!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Thanks for the thoughts. It's really not about saving money (although I am inherently "frugal" by nature ). It's more about preferring to take local transit when not inconvenient, just because....
Follow-up to this: Can I buy two return tickets on my app and use them for each of us, i.e. can I activate two passes on the inbound and return?

Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by brp
Follow-up to this: Can I buy two return tickets on my app and use them for each of us, i.e. can I activate two passes on the inbound and return?
I haven't tried myself but any version after 4.5.0 supports mutliple or even group travel. You can in any case email + print the tickets. Personally I don't bother, I regard the 50p surcharge on a contactless card as the modest surcharge for a flexible ticket.

I have often used the bus service (for similar reasons to you as it happens) for this hotel. From the airport you need to go down Pitt Street to get to Bishop Lane, but to the airport you're just going around the unglamorous back of the hotel to get to Bishop Lane and the bus stop isn't far off.

The 05:00 is fine, gives you are good margin. So long as you have your boarding pass for the flight you could easily make the flight at 05:15 you ended up taking a taxi if the bus doesn't show up (very unlikely scenario). It may be better to get a later flight so you can enjoy the breakfast at this hotel which is reasonably good. For Diamonds they may give you a doggy bag with a bottle of water and an apple in it at the end of breakfast, which was once unbelievably useful.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the thorough reply. If we do get a return ticket it's GBP 14 versus GBP 18 doing both legs individually on the bus. Still not a great amount of difference.

We really can;t take the later flight as we then fly out of LHR to LAX, so we'll just pass the extra time in the Concorde Room as this one's in F

We'll avail ourselves of the breakfast at the hotel on the two prior morning, though.

Even if I buy two and I can't activate both, the app does have a transfer option, so I can make sure that she has it as well, just in case.

Cheers,
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following up on this. We did get advance mobile return trips for the express bus, and it was fast and very easy. We had a flight cancel and 5 hour delay getting into GLA (thank you Storm Dennis ). Even at 10PM, the bus was great and the walk short. On the way back we took the 5AM bus (5:10 from the Waterloo stop) and that was also quick and easy, with an even shorter walk from the hotel.

The hotel itself was quite nice. Some highlights:

Got a nice Exec Floor 1BR room that was more than adequate for our stay. Very nice West view.
As Diamond we were allowed to take breakfast in the restaurant for no additional charge (not sure if Golds would have to pay a surcharge for this).
Lounge had a Continental breakfast. Interestingly, the lounge had Prosciutto and Smoked Salmon that we did not see in the restaurant for 2 days.

The lounge evening "adult" time (6-8PM, following a "family hour" 5-6PM) left something to be desired. Spirit choices were low-end (Ballantines for the Scotch, for example...in Scotland, really?). This was, incidentally., the same low level of spirits as at the Conrad in London.

Cheeses and other cold offerings were quite nice. Hot offerings were not as great. One evening they had haggis pakora! Really?

The spa area was nice. The hot tub was OK, although not hot enough. The sauna and steam room were quite nice.

Location was quire good inasmuch it had good access to the City Centre to the east and the Kelvingrove Park to the west.

All-in-all a very nice stay.

Cheers.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Single Scots mum slams hotel after stay leaves kids covered in bedbug bites as 'dozens' of insects spotted in sheets

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...after-21888848

Sounds like Room 614 might be one to avoid!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by brp
Cheeses and other cold offerings were quite nice. Hot offerings were not as great. One evening they had haggis pakora! Really?
Haggis pakora is a Glasgow staple. Don’t knock it...
:D! likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.