Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by chrism20
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
I have a feeling that the new Hampton will take away business from the Hilton unless it really ups its game. There are some dates in June where it's already less than Ł10 difference between the Hilton and the Hampton, which I would never normally expect.
It works both ways though when the rates are like that. A lot of people will say sod it, it's only Ł10 more might as well book the Hilton proper.

I'm also not convinced the Hampton will be able to maintain those rates but would love to be proved wrong.
June 30 - Glasgow Hampton Ł90 and Hilton Ł76 including breakfast. (HGI also Ł76)

But over Ł300 for the Hilton on the Monday before... think I'll swap the date I intended to be in Glasgow

Originally Posted by hugolover
I think we can be sure that the GM's here and at Newcastle with have each other at top of their Christmas card lists.
Maybe I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but is the Hilton Gateshead really that bad?

For the date I want, Ł71 for Hilton and Ł82 for NCL DT

But I'm coming and leaving by train so extra Ł6 and 1.5 hrs on metro which would otherwise be unnecessary. And I would have thought a lounge is better than no lounge (or does the airport DT have a lounge). Which would you choose?

Last edited by :D!; Jun 2, 2016 at 11:17 am Reason: actually the Hilton rate includes breakfast
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by :D!
June 30 - Glasgow Hampton Ł90 and Hilton Ł76, though Hilton doesn't include breakfast for non-elite obviously. (HGI also Ł76)
Interesting data points. I did find the Hampton felt slightly pricy when I first looked at rates. Maybe it is to do with the location?

Maybe I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but is the Hilton Gateshead really that bad?

For the date I want, Ł71 for Hilton and Ł82 for NCL DT
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ad-gbr-16.html

To summarise, I don't think the lounge is worth it for the fairly poor offering, generally dirty rooms and a lack of/poor service.
The DT is a very good hotel.
If you don't mind a non Hilton, the Crowne Plaza is worth a try too and has a lounge.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Interesting data points. I did find the Hampton felt slightly pricy when I first looked at rates. Maybe it is to do with the location?
But they're almost next to each other... OK the Hampton is closer to Queen St and Central but the Hilton is closer to a station and neither is far from the city centre

I've not been to Glasgow before so maybe I'm missing something

Actually the Hilton rate above includes breakfast so even better...

Last edited by :D!; Jun 2, 2016 at 11:17 am
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:02 pm

But they're almost next to each other... OK the Hampton is closer to Queen St and Central but the Hilton is closer to a station and neither is far from the city centre

I've not been to Glasgow before so maybe I'm missing something

Actually the Hilton rate above includes breakfast so even better...
They aren't that near each other. It would be a good fifteen minute walk for most. The Hampton is nearer buchanan galleries (shopping centre), most of the theatres, Queen St and the Bus Station. There will be nothing in it for central if you go out the back of the Hilton and down Waterloo Street.

I honestly think that Glasgow is heading to oversupply on the accommodation front. If there is nothing on rates are pretty low and even if there is a big event on rates are nowhere near as high as they used to be. The Mobos are here again in November and you can get P&C or a cash booking for Ł150 last time you couldn't get P&C anywhere and the HGI was fully booked the day it was announced.

With the additional Hilton options coming online some investment will be required here just to stand still. The Crowne Plaza is a big competitor for the Hilton when it comes to the conference business. It was sold last year and a full refurb is now underway and the rooms are quite nice.

Re Gateshead. I would happily walk from central station to the airport before staying at Gateshead. The metro takes about half an hour and it's worth the Ł3 each way.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:38 am

Quick one night here last week followed by another night at the new DT - thought I might as well make a good start to next years requal with a bit of hotel hopping.

Booked a few weeks out at a very low rate of Ł59 and it remained at that rate until approximately 10pm on the day before arrival. OLCI was showing only six available rooms and no upgrade. Eventually upgraded at 6pm on the day which was about two hours before I got there. I have had to push for an upgrade here before but with a near empty hotel (rates were Ł67 when I checked in) I would have thought one would have been a bit more forthcoming.

No issues at checkin. The room had a broken lamp and the air con sounded like a car with a broken exhaust.

Phoned for room service and spoke to two people as the first did not understand "Burger with cheese and bacon". When it arrived it was lukewarm and was filled with about a quarter of an iceberg lettuce.

Decent nights sleep and down for breakfast which wasn't that busy apart from the screaming child on the floor and the parents laughing at the child (maybe I'm getting old and I suppose having no kids makes these things stick out more). Decent enough buffet, however the slices of bread that the bacon was sitting on in the hot dishes had started to disintegrate and did not look good.

Didn't visit the lounge this time due to late arrival and having breakfast in the restaurant but having experienced the new DT the following night (review in the relevant thread) I know where I will be pushing my Glasgow stays towards over the coming months. Yes I know the DT is new so there is probably more effort going into it but with it having a (vastly superior imo) lounge, refurbished bedrooms, on-site parking etc as well as being nearer to town I personally think it's a better option ATM.

Parking was Ł12 per night automatically charged to your bill.

GLASGOW HILTON WAKE UP, YOU NOW HAVE SERIOUS COMPETITION
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
Quick one night here last week followed by another night at the new DT - thought I might as well make a good start to next years requal with a bit of hotel hopping.

Booked a few weeks out at a very low rate of Ł59 and it remained at that rate until approximately 10pm on the day before arrival. OLCI was showing only six available rooms and no upgrade. Eventually upgraded at 6pm on the day which was about two hours before I got there. I have had to push for an upgrade here before but with a near empty hotel (rates were Ł67 when I checked in) I would have thought one would have been a bit more forthcoming.

No issues at checkin. The room had a broken lamp and the air con sounded like a car with a broken exhaust.

Phoned for room service and spoke to two people as the first did not understand "Burger with cheese and bacon". When it arrived it was lukewarm and was filled with about a quarter of an iceberg lettuce.

Decent nights sleep and down for breakfast which wasn't that busy apart from the screaming child on the floor and the parents laughing at the child (maybe I'm getting old and I suppose having no kids makes these things stick out more). Decent enough buffet, however the slices of bread that the bacon was sitting on in the hot dishes had started to disintegrate and did not look good.

Didn't visit the lounge this time due to late arrival and having breakfast in the restaurant but having experienced the new DT the following night (review in the relevant thread) I know where I will be pushing my Glasgow stays towards over the coming months. Yes I know the DT is new so there is probably more effort going into it but with it having a (vastly superior imo) lounge, refurbished bedrooms, on-site parking etc as well as being nearer to town I personally think it's a better option ATM.

Parking was Ł12 per night automatically charged to your bill.

GLASGOW HILTON WAKE UP, YOU NOW HAVE SERIOUS COMPETITION
Thanks for the trip report , my stay a couple of Octobers back was great in all aspects, however I have heard a few negative story's since then, I fancy trying the new DT.....just need an excuse to go to Glasgow!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Thanks for the trip report , my stay a couple of Octobers back was great in all aspects, however I have heard a few negative story's since then, I fancy trying the new DT.....just need an excuse to go to Glasgow!
Thanks

I was seriously impressed with the DT and if you can find an excuse it's definitely worth a visit. I've booked another four nights there over the next couple of months already.

I've had a few so-so visits here over the last year and whilst it's definitely cleaner I'd say it's currently on a par with Newcastle Gateshead for customer service.

DT Strathclyde this weekend which is also looking not too bad just now following the conversion to a DT.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Wondered whether anyone had any recent experience here since the Doubletree has taken a slice of the Hilton Hotels in Glasgow cake?

Just wondered whether they had sharpened up or responded in any way, have been contemplating another stay here, but keep getting drawn to the doubletree!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by adobbing
Wondered whether anyone had any recent experience here since the Doubletree has taken a slice of the Hilton Hotels in Glasgow cake?

Just wondered whether they had sharpened up or responded in any way, have been contemplating another stay here, but keep getting drawn to the doubletree!
I haven't stayed since I done the two back to back, however having read some of the reviews for the first quarter of the year I personally would recommend sticking with the DT unless it's noticeably cheaper. Thats where I've been staying mostly when in Glasgow although I have had a couple of nights at the Hampton which were pretty good.

I'm trying to avoid Glasgow at the moment though until the M8 works are done.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Exec lounge

Staying here currently, booked 2 rooms, one Exec (wasn't certain I'd requalify for Gold when I originally booked) and a one Queen double.

​​​My 2nd room got upgraded so both rooms were Exec. No upgrades for my first room to suite, etc as non available. (Concert on at the Hydro.)

Sampled half decent options in the Exec lounge early eve., Soup + Chicken wings, nice salad. Cheap spirits, only Carlsberg beer on the go, would be nice if they had something close to a real ale like an IPA or similar. Will do Breakfast in main area in the morn, staff v helpful and friendly.

Cheers

SR
http://TripRep.wordpress.com

Last edited by ScubaRoo; May 13, 2017 at 1:46 am
Old May 13, 2017, 12:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Staying here currently booked 2 rooms, one Exec (wasn't certain I'd requalify for Gold when I originally booked) and a one Queen double.

​​​My 2nd room got upgraded so both rooms were Exec. No upgrades for my first room to suite, etc as non available. (Concert on at the Hydro.)

Sampled half decent options in the Exec lounge early eve., Soup + Chicken wings, nice salad. Cheap spirits, only Carlberg beer on the go, would be nice if they had something close to a real ale like an IPA or similar. Will do Breakfast in main area in the morn, staff v helpful and friendly.

Cheers

SR
http://TripRep.wordpress.com
Echo your comments on the beer, Carlsberg is definitely not worth staying in for!
Last couple of times I've been in, I didn't bother and just walked over to the Bon Accord for my ale fix.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's very interesting to see the Hilton Glasgow a few pounds cheaper than the DoubleTree in the Winter Sale. It was previously the other way around, it seems that strategy has reached its limit. Despite this, I don't feel compelled to return anytime soon.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: The Embassy
As of June ‘18, only giving Continental Breakfast to Diamond members, full breakfast is extra.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
As of June ‘18, only giving Continental Breakfast to Diamond members, full breakfast is extra.
Oh dear, the stupidity has started again!
Have only stayed there a few times in the last couple of years , even less likely now!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:04 am
cjd

Oh dear, the stupidity has started again!
Have only stayed there a few times in the last couple of years , even less likely now!
Not aware of any other UK Hilton or Doubletree only giving Diamonds or Golds continental breakfast. Let's hope the others don't follow suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.