Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Brussels {BEL} (no longer Honors)

Old Oct 17, 2000, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au

Any comments, recomendations ?

Jon
Old Oct 17, 2000, 7:58 am

I stayed there for a weekend in May. The front desk staff was very good about getting me a room right away although it was 9am. I had a nice room on a high floor facing south (a good view of not much in particular). I recall a small box of chocolates in the room.

I didn't use the hotel bar or restaurants, so I can't comment on those.

I didn't think I would like the location, but it turned out to be much more convenient than I thought. Very close to the Metro stop Louise, and if you go through the park at the side of the hotel, it's less than a 5 minute walk to the Place du Grand Sablon.

I would certainly return to this hotel.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 9:28 am

Kitty Hawk is right, Hilton has a good location, near Place du Grand Sablon.

The Jolly (Italian Chain) is direct on Place du Grand Sablon and looked very good to me.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 10:05 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Stayed there last tuesday with mixed feelings. I'm Gold VIP and they couldn't (didn't really try) provide me with a deluxe room, but was given a regular executive on 17th floor which was fairly nice. The room itself was clean and bright, but the bathroom was a bit worn down. Fairly nice presentations in the Club lounge regarding food and wine.
I'll probably be back, but I'm surely going to check out the Sheraton first now that I've made SPG platinum.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
They have actualy booked me into the Hilton Residentual - Any comment ?

Jon
Old Oct 17, 2000, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have stayed at the Jolly twice and have been very happy there... the Hilton always seemed "so far away" ... I didn't realize it was only 5 mins from the Grand Sablon, which is a great little place to stay in.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 2:38 pm

Stayed there twice--first time about 3 yrs ago and it was delightful--including club lounge. Stayed there again 2 yrs ago and it was terrible. Club lounge was overly crowded with families there at cocktail hour as well as at breakfast time. I thought I would take a beer to my room--the hostess literally ran after me to say I had to return it since I could only drink it in the lounge. Had dinner in the first floor restaurant(more of a coffee shop--) ordered the white asperge--usuallya thrilling dish in Belgium--topped with eggs--got violently ill--so my memories are not the best--maybe it's better by now--yes, the location, however, is good.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Worst Hilton I have ever visited. Checked out after 1 night. But then each chain has its dog properties. Conrad Hilton, a few blocks away, is much nicer IMHO.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.
Old Oct 20, 2000, 10:42 am

Recomendation: DON'T GO TO BRUSELLES!

LET'S FACE IT IS THERE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT THIS CITY, OR THE HORRIBLE PEOPLE THAT LIVE THERE!
Old Oct 21, 2000, 8:33 am

i agree with world20, the Conrad is great and far better than the Hilton, unless the risk of coming across of "night butterflies", as the Indonesians say, on the Avenue Louise street ( where the Conrad is located) bothers you...

the last post reminds me of an Aussie who came to talk to me when I was recently on holiday in Seoul and kept complaining because the food, the weather, the customs and the language were not like in down under... It's a pity that there are people who can't go beyond the appearances and whose knowledge and understanding of the local people is limited to the way they are treated at check=in or in the business lounge of a 5*hotel...

Obviously, Brussels is certainly not the most beautiful city on earth. However, its Grand Place is a jewel and its modern art as well as cartoons museums are very interesting. french food is at its best in Belgium but with a lot more on your plate than in France. Belgian beers, more than 200 different ones, called "special beers/bieres speciales" ( brown, blonde, sweet, bitter, fruity, you name it...), are appealing to all tastes, delicious and far better than the dishwater beers offered elsewhere.

Moreover, Brussels is very strategically located and a visit to Belgium should not be limited to this city and Brugge. Do visit Antwerp, Gent, the villages along the Schelde river ( which crosses Antwerp) as well as the French=speaking part called "Wallonia" which has very nice small towns like Tournai (beautiful grand place, churches and old houses), Ath, Mons (where NATO Supreme headquarter for Europe is located), Namur (capital of the State), etc. There are also very nice small villages in the Ardennes to spend good family hiking weekends (on the way to Luxembourg).Interested? check this site ( also in English): [URL=http://www.wallonie.be]www.wallonie.be

LL

[This message has been edited by LordLuck (edited 10-21-2000).]
Old Oct 21, 2000, 9:22 am

I really liked Brussels when I was there a few months ago. Not as nice as London, Paris, Amsterdam or most other European cities, but definitely not as bad as its reputation. True, it is mostly a business town.

The Conrad International Brussels is generally considered the best major hotel in the city, at least by all the guidebooks that I consulted.

We stayed at the Radisson SAS, which couldn't have been better! Great location, beautiful hotel, and a good price. We got a $100 rate in a five-star hotel in the middle of the summer. The reservation agent said that is unheard of.
Old Oct 22, 2000, 2:00 pm

Canadia:

I have some "problems" with your comments.

Brussels is O.K., the people are friendly, the small towns nearby are beautiful and the food is often outstanding.

I stayed in the first class Le Plaza for $ 68. (SRS WORLD HOTELS - WWW/WEEKEND SPECIAL)
Old Oct 22, 2000, 4:06 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I like Brussels!

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/000302.html
Old Oct 22, 2000, 5:00 pm

I've been to bruselles about 5 times, and can only say it's O.K. at the best of times.

I won't get into a debate here but lets face it there are much better places to go with much friendlier people, and better value for money.

Heres 2 that come to mind right off the bat Montreal, and Buenos Aires. Both offer Europian ambiance, Great Food (Esp. Montreal) and friendly people. Right now Canada is real cheap, and even Argentina is affordable compared to Europe!

I Challenge you to tell me one thing Brusselles can offer that these 2 cities can't!

Old Oct 23, 2000, 1:33 pm

...humble and open-minded people!

Canadian, next time you come over in Belgium, give me a call, I'll show you some nice people and nice places! Do you like blonde or brunettes (am talking about beers!) ?

LL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.