Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Ok thanks - paid nights have been moved!

So we will get nothing as diamonds for those 3 nights? One of them is my birthday, will dropping that in at check in do nothing?!
you will get separate check in (there is a room marked DIAMOND above the door at the far left of check-in) and 2 bottles of water with a "gold" card voucher - if you mention it's your birthday and the person at check in is nice you may get something, not sure.

make sure you ASK them if they gave you an upgrade and, if not, why not, by the way.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by adpucci
if I were you I would (bail out, I mean). they barely say thanks for being a customer at check-in, and there is no upgrade to the Towers for Diamonds - in fact no difference in benefits to Diamonds and Gold. Meh.
I second that. Do not stay here.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Fun, easy read about the WA: http://nypost.com/2017/02/06/13-surp...ldorf-astoria/

Personal Story: As winter turned to spring, 1964, my parents stayed at the WA. They were idiots, as my mom was towards the end of a pregnancy and probably should not have traveled, but they thought one last trip would be okay. That morning, in the room...

MOM: I'm in labor.
DAD: No you're not.
MOM: I've been in labor before. This is labor.
DAD: I'm a doctor. This isn't real labor.

With that, he left her in the room to attend a conference meeting. Within the hour, hotel staff was helping mom to the hospital, trying to find my dad in the conference room. I was born at 12:06 pm, so mom was right.

My parents had not decided on a middle name, but in NYC, at least at the time, the full name had to be recorded before leaving the delivery room. My parents put the letter "J" on the document, intending to decide later and correct the birth certificate. Which they never did. When asked, I claim the "J" stands for "my parents are idiots."
ScubaRoo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Just checked in with the mobile app for a stay. I'm a Gold member and was able to choose a room on the 26th floor - does that mean I will have access to the lounge (which is on that floor)?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Waldorf=Astoria NY Owner (Anbang) Taken Over by Chinese Government

It's been over twenty hours since this was announced so I'm surprised there has not been any discussion on FT about it.

Speculation on what this could mean to the future of the Waldorf=Astoria New York? Could this delay the anticipated reopening? Could the hotel be reflagged?

Anbang: China seizes control of insurer that owns the Waldorf Astoria - Feb. 22, 2018
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Well, Hilton issued a statement on Friday: "Work to restore the Waldorf Astoria New York is well underway and proceeding to plan. We are confident that the hotel will return as a focal point for New York City and a premier global destination."
And ten days ago, Hilton CEO Nassetta said, "We are in a very well-protected position" no matter who owns the hotel. Hilton does have that 100 year management lease, so it's way early to see any changes. It's very strange to walk by the hotel and see it so quiet and morose. Not to mention missing the Inagiku restaurant.
controller1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chinese government could control who gets condos, or could sell hotel, likely high demand
a year ago media reported chinese government had told anbang et al to sell overseas assets

courts have established that contracts can be ended easily, even Four Seasons etc

anbang so now chinese govt also owns: Four Seasons Washington & Four Seasons Silicon Valley
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
chinese government could control who gets condos, or could sell hotel, likely high demand
a year ago media reported chinese government had told anbang et al to sell overseas assets

courts have established that contracts can be ended easily, even Four Seasons etc

anbang so now chinese govt also owns: Four Seasons Washington & Four Seasons Silicon Valley
The United States Government could also seize the property as they did with Cuban property and during World War Two.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Walked by the hotel/construction site today. Apparently quite a few people didn’t realize they were supposed to replace the dummy text on this sign.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any updates? HH website says "coming soon"
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any updates? HH website says "coming soon"
I have a friend who works for the company doing the building's restoration, and she says the interior is currently completely gutted. According to her, it's not going to realistically open anytime soon - she says no earlier than 2022 given its current state, so don't hold your breath.
MoodyB and ScubaRoo like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I have a friend who works for the company doing the building's restoration, and she says the interior is currently completely gutted. According to her, it's not going to realistically open anytime soon - she says no earlier than 2022 given its current state, so don't hold your breath.
That doesn't surprised me at all as it really needed to be completely gutted and its a big property and undertaking.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Miesque
That doesn't surprised me at all as it really needed to be completely gutted and its a big property and undertaking.
Yep. I stayed there the month it closed (february 2017, I think?) and their suites in the hotel (not the towers) were a disgrace. The oldest, ugliest stained carpet I've ever seen, ancient plumbing, and just a sense that everything is old. Plus, I know they're working on restoring the facade, which has also been rather a disgrace in its current state.

Anyway, happy to share any future updates I get from her, but there probably won't be any exciting news for a while.
ScubaRoo likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
Anyway, happy to share any future updates I get from her, but there probably won't be any exciting news for a while.
Not an exciting update, but I'm staying across the street at the Barclay, which is actually older than the Waldorf and did it's own massive renovation a few years ago. My room is looking at the Waldorf and I can see many rooms with plywood covering the windows and the top floors completely covered by scaffolding and nets. The rooms that I can see into are completely empty, some with a bare light bulb lit. It certainly isn't going to open in early 2022. Maybe 2023.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
There are widespread reports of massive cost overruns in the Waldorf's renovation. All I'd read previously pertained to the condo conversions, so no idea what progress has been made on the hotel portion of building. Hope the strained budget doesn't lead to cut corners on the lower floors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.