Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:53 am

Any recent Diamond experience at W=A New York City? Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Any recent Diamond experience at W=A New York City? Thanks.
Have a look at the thread for the W-A New York:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-us-ny-44.html
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I've stayed a few times at WA-NYC. I've been upgraded to a suite, once for free (anniversary trip), but other times for $50 extra. I've done this with stays using points, points+money, and just booking a room. I usually ask politely at the desk indicating I'm willing to pay a little extra. I've also been given a couple drink vouchers for the bar in the lobby. Highly recommend the WA and their suites.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Last 2 stays I was upgraded to a suite. At check in the agent just mentioned I was given a larger room than I booked. Once suite for a 1 night weekday stay was huge with a tiny bathroom. Other suite for a 2 night weekend stay was a smaller suite, but large bathroom.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Waldorf-Astoria closing next year for massive condo conversion, three-year project will leave it with only 300 to 500 hotel rooms, major job losses.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-an...-idUSKCN0ZD02I
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Essentially, same as happened at The Plaza.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not surprising I guess given the price of NYC real estate these days. Park Ave condos would go for what - $4k sq ft?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am not at all surprised based on what they paid for the property and the fact the regular rooms are desperately in need of a top to bottom overhaul. Might as well gut it and rebuild high end condos and reduce the hotel supply so that it can hold the type of rates a high quality property commands.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The W=A structure is now 85 years old. I'm not suggesting a closing for renovations, but you'd think a phased approach to revitalizing the rooms is overdue.
Looks like they will close for three years for the renovations (and convert over 1,000 rooms to condos).

link
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Very little detail in the announcement, but I wonder if (1) any Towers rooms will survive as hotel rooms vs. condos and (2) how many condos will be made from the ~1100 hotel rooms. Reads like Anbang doesn't even know yet.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
In this type of situation of "walking a guest", how does the hotel handle re-booking?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It does explain the removal of the US Diplomatic suites (delegation to the United Nations).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
It does explain the removal of the US Diplomatic suites (delegation to the United Nations).

The United States Government announced that they would not be using the suites of the Waldorf Astoria for the President et al any more immediately after announcement was made of the purchase of the property by the Chinese company and it was very specifically detailed that they were doing so because they had fears of bugs (not the bed bug type)
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
The United States Government announced that they would not be using the suites of the Waldorf Astoria for the President et al any more immediately after announcement was made of the purchase of the property by the Chinese company and it was very specifically detailed that they were doing so because they had fears of bugs (not the bed bug type)
Yes - google turned up a NYT article confirming your points. POTUS now stays at the Palace. Only thing left at the W=A was the UN Ambassador's residence in the Towers - has been there for 50 years.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jmd001
Very little detail in the announcement, but I wonder if (1) any Towers rooms will survive as hotel rooms vs. condos and (2) how many condos will be made from the ~1100 hotel rooms. Reads like Anbang doesn't even know yet.
Has there been any news about if the Towers section will remain? or will the remaining rooms just come from the original hotel section?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.