Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Geoggy
No need for the sarchasm darling.

They guy at check in said they could have an Exec queen. Which meant lounge access. Is it not just common sense to say, stay in your twin, here's lounge access instead of making two grown women share a bed, for, er lounge access?
As Wizla and I have pointed out the lounge is too small as it is and can't handle the current crowds at Happy Hour. So that would have amounted in two additional guests having lounge access making seating even more difficult to find for guests who are entitled to access. . They still have to give lounge access to whoever took the Exec Level upgrade.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20

Well let’s be serious here did you expect a mid tier (Gold) elite to be treated better or the same as a highest (Diamond) tier one?

Two other people have pointed out why they can’t just give out lounge to golds when not upgrading - the lounge can’t cope, its too busy, also if they declined the upgrade that means there is the possibility of the room going to someone else meaning the two golds plus the actual occupants of the exec meaning its even more overcrowded.

A bit of research would have flagged up that there are no twin exec rooms here and would have managed expectations for someone rolling up with gold membership.
No I didn't - which is why I said "clearly Diamonds get more." I came here for perspective and I got it. I could have just done without the patronising.

Your argument still makes no sense to me. The hotel were happy to give them a room with the wrong bed but lounge access. Creating a +2 on the number of people accessing the lounge. They had lots of free Exec rooms - it's hardly high season, so the impact would have been nil to negligible or they wouldn't have said take an Queen Exec if they knew the lounge was going to be over busy.

Anyway - it's history. We are staying there again end of March and you will be pleased to know we've booked an Exec King so I won't darken the thread again.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
As Wizla and I have pointed out the lounge is too small as it is and can't handle the current crowds at Happy Hour. So that would have amounted in two additional guests having lounge access making seating even more difficult to find for guests who are entitled to access. . They still have to give lounge access to whoever took the Exec Level upgrade.
Have been in the lounge many times. I'm aware of the size. They would not have offered a Queen Exec if they knew it was going to be busy. They did. Let's move on. Peace.

EDIT : In the spirit of being helpful for people considering this hotel. Best not to assume anything! Or perhaps even hope. Breakfast was average apparently and in a different room than the Salon where it used to be. YMMV.

Last edited by Geoggy; Jan 22, 2018 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:53 am

Anyway - it's history.

That’s good because it’s starting to get difficult keeping up with what actually happened when this

my wife just checked in as a gold.
no upgrade from standard twin and no lounge access.

Becomes this

They guy at check in said they could have an Exec queen. Which meant lounge access
Sounds like the hotel have done everything possible to upgrade the gold level guest to a room that would allow them lounge access and keep within the rules of the programme and it’s been declined.

Anyway I hope your stay in a few months time is much better.
jamesteroh and wizla like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:23 am

Good. Now go and patronise someone else.
chrism20 and hugolover like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Jeez groggy, c,mon put your sword down....... the guys are just being honest, I'm sure it wasn't meant quite as bad as that, yeah a bit cheeky perhaps but we all one family on here...... however I hope you have a great stay
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Is the pool and steam room Now open at this hotel?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
Is the pool and steam room Now open at this hotel?
I was told it is.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any idea of whether this might be the best Hilton for New Year's Eve on points? Conrad isn't available, I'm thinking of Dec 31 to Jan 2 (staying somehere else for the 5 nights prior, but no availability on NYE).
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Any idea of whether this might be the best Hilton for New Year's Eve on points? Conrad isn't available, I'm thinking of Dec 31 to Jan 2 (staying somehere else for the 5 nights prior, but no availability on NYE).
i would say it's a very good choice, you are minutes away from the midnight fireworks along the Thames, the whole area will be buzzing!.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by beachfan
I stayed there a few years ago when I was in London for New Years. Lots of activity in the area, great location. In addition to the fireworks most theaters still have perforamnces on new years.

If you plan on seeing the fireworks try scoring tickets ASAP. I didn't know you needed tickets, big mistake on my part
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great tip on the tickets, thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Arrived here after checking out of Bankside, digital key arrived at 12pm. Superior queen booked and pre-upgraded to Executive king so that was good. Asked for a real key at reception and nearly had my head bitten off by the dragon behind it! Don’t know what her problem was, not my fault the girl she was training is hopeless.
Room smells fresh, large bathroom, his and hers sink but unfortunately no seperate shower. Feel they could have used the space better and installed a seperate shower.
Afternoon tea was same old same old, there is one new addition, black mugs! No more cups and saucers. They probably think you now can’t see they aren’t clean- newsflash - you can! It’s a real come down coming from Bankside where your eyes hurt when looking into a clean glass.

I’m now having a quick drink before going to the theatre. Evening nibbles are new and I have to admit, they look very nice. The hostess asked my opinion as they’ve only had it a couple of weeks. Still two large hot bowls which tonight had spring rolls with duck and fish fingers. They were nice. Cold food now includes fancy looking bowls with green and black olives, mini mozzarella, feta cheese, hummus, dried tomatoes, several dips, a plate with two types of salami and crackers. Very modern looking. The drinks selection is still the same, very good wine imo, the bubbles was Bollo.
Going out now, will write back about breakfast in the morning.
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
Arrived here after checking out of Bankside, digital key arrived at 12pm. Superior queen booked and pre-upgraded to Executive king so that was good. Asked for a real key at reception and nearly had my head bitten off by the dragon behind it! Don’t know what her problem was, not my fault the girl she was training is hopeless.
Room smells fresh, large bathroom, his and hers sink but unfortunately no seperate shower. Feel they could have used the space better and installed a seperate shower.
Afternoon tea was same old same old, there is one new addition, black mugs! No more cups and saucers. They probably think you now can’t see they aren’t clean- newsflash - you can! It’s a real come down coming from Bankside where your eyes hurt when looking into a clean glass.

I’m now having a quick drink before going to the theatre. Evening nibbles are new and I have to admit, they look very nice. The hostess asked my opinion as they’ve only had it a couple of weeks. Still two large hot bowls which tonight had spring rolls with duck and fish fingers. They were nice. Cold food now includes fancy looking bowls with green and black olives, mini mozzarella, feta cheese, hummus, dried tomatoes, several dips, a plate with two types of salami and crackers. Very modern looking. The drinks selection is still the same, very good wine imo, the bubbles was Bollo.
Going out now, will write back about breakfast in the morning.
Hey, thanks for the report ( and the others you have recently done ) , I enjoy reading them as we seem to pretty much use the same Hilton's and I can relate.
I've not stayed at the Waldorf for over a year , it used to be my favourite but I now prefer Bankside as it's more modern and easier to drive to, that said I still would stay there as I do like the charm of the Waldorf and its location is unbeatable.........look forward to your concluding report.

Ps- does the Waldorf lounge still have a cheeseboard in the evenings?.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I forgot the cheeseboard as I don’t eat cheese lol, Yes it’s still there, 3 types I believe, the pieces of cheddar were huge and several people were giving feedback to the hostess that they should be cut in half to avoid waste which I ageee with.

Breakfast was very good, probably the first time I’ve actually enjoyed breakfast here. Busy as can be expected on a Saturday morning, long queue when I left. There were plenty of empty tables but staff weren’t cleaning them. No sign of a manager which would have prevented this situation.

Overall a good stay, reception staff this morning friendly, recognision from previous stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.