Why work for HH Diamond?

Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:15 am
aku
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Why work for HH Diamond?

I've re-qualified for SPG Platinum and Priority Club Platinum for next year, so I was thinking about spending the last 20 or so stays this year at Hilton properties, which will bring me pretty close to HHonors Diamond. (I reached Gold on a challenge last summer.)

My question is: Is it worth the trouble? From reading the HHonors threads and the Hilton web site, it sounds like the only differences between the Gold and Diamond levels are:
  • Another 25% bonus on points
  • Separate reservations desk
  • Guaranteed availability with 48-hour notice
  • Exemption from reward blackout dates
Unless I already stay at Hilton properties a lot, these don't seem to be worth much to me. So, my feeling is that for a casual Hilton guest, Diamond isn't worth much more than Gold. Am I right? (I know, "casual Diamond level" sounds like an oxymoron, but when you spend 200 nights a year in hotels, it can happen. )

Last edited by aku; Nov 20, 2005 at 3:46 am Reason: Changed references from Platinum to Diamond.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
you missed the best perk

Originally Posted by aku
I've re-qualified for SPG Platinum and Priority Club Platinum for next year, so I was thinking about spending the last 20 or so stays this year at Hilton properties, which will bring me pretty close to HHonors Platinum. (I reached Gold on a challenge last summer.)

My question is: Is it worth the trouble? From reading the HHonors threads and the Hilton web site, it sounds like the only differences between the Gold and Platinum levels are:
  • Another 25% bonus on points
  • Separate reservations desk
  • Guaranteed availability with 48-hour notice
  • Exemption from reward blackout dates
Unless I already stay at Hilton properties a lot, these don't seem to be worth much to me. So, my feeling is that for a casual Hilton guest, Platinum isn't worth much more than Gold. Am I right? (I know, "casual Platinum level" sounds like an oxymoron, but when you spend 200 nights a year in hotels, it can happen. )
More availabilty for award stays at the primo locations
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:41 am
Suspended

I for 1 treasure having and keeping HH Diamond (not called Plat), the main reason is that they have been able to get me into Hotels on free nights that were sold-out. Nothing worse then having a ton of pts and not being able to use them.

It also goes along way when staying at a resort or top notch prop, upgrade wise. All in all IMO it pays to do the 28 Stays a yr, which by changing places every night, can be had in no time. Also theres a tier level revolving chart, which means you can requalify via a 12 month period rather than a calander year. In a nut shell that means if you qualified say by Stays, and you had 28 Stays bet 11/1/05 and 10/31/06 you will be a Diamond on 11/1/06. Lets say you have 10 Stays bet 11/1/05 & 12/31/05 and 18 Stays bet 1/1/06 & 10/31/06 then according to ALL other Progs you wont make it since you'll have 10 for '05 and 18 for '06. But HH counts all Credits for a 12 month rolling period.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
The key is 48 hrs Guarantee and the no blackout dates. The two can be combined. I worru more about my HH then SPG, because SPG has no blackout dates where HH does. The blackout dates are numerous. I have never had an issue getting a room. Anywhere or anytime with cash or points.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I don't think I'd bother with a 3rd top elite status. I'd be concentrating my business at the first 2 chains and reaping the benefits.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I've always been more likely to upgrade a Diamond than a Gold when there's not enough inventory to upgrade everyone, if you like upgrades.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I beg to differ.. the more you have.. then you are ALWAYS reaping the benefits wherever you go.. I have the big four hotel chains top status.. and am never worried about elite benefits.. it works out perfect.. only the first time around when you are qualifying is it a pain.. then if you can find a fasttrack, that pain doesn't last long.. Now I can choose my hotels by what bonus they are running as opposed to.. I can only stay at this chain b/c I only have status there.. I go out of my way to keep top tier at all four as opposed to just being loyal to one.. also.. if one screws you over enough that you want to leave.. then you are not starting over.. nor are you wasting a status match..

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I don't think I'd bother with a 3rd top elite status. I'd be concentrating my business at the first 2 chains and reaping the benefits.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I beg to differ.. the more you have.. then you are ALWAYS reaping the benefits wherever you go.. I have the big four hotel chains top status.. and am never worried about elite benefits.. it works out perfect.. only the first time around when you are qualifying is it a pain.. then if you can find a fasttrack, that pain doesn't last long.. Now I can choose my hotels by what bonus they are running as opposed to.. I can only stay at this chain b/c I only have status there.. I go out of my way to keep top tier at all four as opposed to just being loyal to one.. also.. if one screws you over enough that you want to leave.. then you are not starting over.. nor are you wasting a status match..
I disagree I spend 150 nights a year at HH. When I call them the only thing I have ever heard is yes. SPG takes good care of me, but I am just like any other Plat.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Another specific example

Just got the DDesk to get me a reward stay at the ES-Seaside, Ca on
2/11/06. The Pebble Beach Pro-Am (about 15 minutes away) concludes on 2/12/06 which I wanted to see.

Hotel has been sold out for months and first offered a room at $279.00. Three days later they wrote back and said they got a Cat 5 stay for me.

That - to me - is worth the price of admission alone. ^ ^ ^

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Nov 18, 2005 at 4:44 pm Reason: I am stupid
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL-PM, HH-Gold, *wood-Gold, Avis First, National Executive Elite
I've been diamond for 2 years and it's definately worth it. Not just the bonus points, but the additional upgrades, award stays, guarantees and service are worth it. I'm SPG Gold as well and I still prefer HH over SPG....well, I do like Westins.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:48 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Just got the DDesk to get me a reward stay at the ES-Seaside, Ca on
2/11/06. The Pebble Beach Pro-Am (about 15 minutes away) concludes on 2/12/06 which I wanted to see.

Hotel has been sold out for months and first offered a room at $279.00. Three days later they wrote back and said they got a Cat 5 stay for me.

That - to me - is worth the price of admission alone. ^ ^ ^

I had a January Cancun trip booked with points which we canceled due to hurricane. Instead decided on Barbados. Diamond desk got me a 7 night stay using points at hotel priced on web at $470 per night. SWEET!!! Even though I also spend time at Marriott I do like HH Diamond benefits.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have the big four hotel chains top status.. and am never worried about elite benefits.. it works out perfect..
FYI Hyatt's highest status is Diamond and not Platinum so drop that top status to three.

Back to the OP I would say that the HH Diamond is far more valuable than PC Plat. OTOH IC RA is better than HH Diamond if you stay at InterContinental hotels.

For my stay pattern the Hyatt's program, however, is the best. I LOVE the FFN's!
Old Nov 18, 2005, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you spend 20 stays with them and are only "close to diamond" then I feel you will be totally wasting your stays with them. You don't stay with them enough to blow to stays you could be having with the other properties with all the benefits to reach a status that you probably won't ever use.

I love being diamond, I never even consider getting status elsewhere, because that's another x amount of stays I wouldn't be at a hilton property for, and to me it's not worth it.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:04 pm

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
Five year HHonors Diamond and very happy with it. Was a Starwood Plat one year and did not feel I was getting the same "perks" as I was with HH. Cannot even remember one incident where points stay was difficult in obtaining or an upgrade was a hardship. I am sure there are times it can happen, but, IMHO, with HHonors, as a Diamond, it is rare and far between. Just used points at a new resort in Cebu (Philippines) and had a great time and treated very well by the Executive Floor Staff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.