Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:08 am

Doubletree Chicago weekend stay report

My wife and I just completed a weekend stay (February 11-13) at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Chicago. Unfortunately, our experience at this hotel was not very pleasant.

To give the situation some context, I will let you know that I was trying to make a decision between staying at the Embassy Suites-Downtown or the Doubletree. My wife is in Chicago for the next two weeks on business, and due to the amount of luggage she was bringing I wanted a suite so that we had some extra space. I am familiar with the types of rooms offered at Embassy Suites, but I was able to get a more attractive rate at the Doubletree. I called a representative at the Doubletree and asked if the rooms were comparable to the Embassy Suites. I was told that the Doubletree rooms are "two-room suites" with a separate living area and sleeping area. With that information, I booked an Executive Level Suite at the Doubletree for two nights.

Upon arrival, I was surprised to find that our "suite" was actually one room, which appeared to be no bigger than the standard hotel room. I called the front desk to confirm that I was given an executive level suite. After the gentleman who received my call made it quite apparent that he was annoyed by the question (long, heavy sigh and sarcastic tone), he confirmed that my room was in fact an executive level suite. Apparently what classified this room as a "suite" is the long, low dresser/TV stand right in the middle of the room, with a couch on the opposite side of the room from the bed.

Upon entering the bathroom, I noticed that the sink stopper was broken. It was stuck in the closed position, resulting in water pooling in the bathroom sink. The handle moved up and down with no effect on the position of the sink stopper. In addition, there was cracked and chipped tile on the bathroom floor. Upon taking a shower, it was noted that the shower diverter was only partially successful. Half of the water was still coming through the faucet, resulting in very low water pressure out of the shower head.

Finally, on Friday night my wife and I went down to the lobby to speak with the concierge for dinner suggestions. We asked for some suggestions of local Chicago eateries. The suggestions we were given included TGI Fridays and The Cheesecake Factory; nothing even remotely similar to what we had asked about. Exasperated, we decided to go for a walk in pursuit of some restaurants and found numerous non-chain restaurants within 5-6 blocks of our hotel.

The hotel is in a great location (convenient to the Magnificent Mile and Rush St.), but as you can see I was quite disappointed with the service.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I've stayed there three times in the past year for about 8 days total. Each time I've gotten a room that had two separate areas so maybe you did get ripped on this stay. I agree the staff is not very friendly as I've encountered this each time I've been there and have stated this on the feedback emails I received from Hilton. You probably should have talked with the hotel manager instead of the staff regarding your room.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by kingalien
I've stayed there three times in the past year for about 8 days total. Each time I've gotten a room that had two separate areas so maybe you did get ripped on this stay. I agree the staff is not very friendly as I've encountered this each time I've been there and have stated this on the feedback emails I received from Hilton. You probably should have talked with the hotel manager instead of the staff regarding your room.
Hmm... thanks for that feedback. I'll make sure to mention that in my letter. I did ask to speak to the manager when I called, but was told that s/he was unavailable at the time.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:49 am

This is surprising to me...I arranged an 8 room stay at this hotel (at an incredible rate I might add, 3 nights for the price of 2). Everything went very smoothly, even though I was checking in a day after the rest of the party. Additionally, everyone in my party received breakfast vouchers (I am HHonors Gold). Long distance calls were also comped. One party had some sort of mix-up when checking in, and were given free breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which was pricey if I recall. I inquired downstairs about a microwave for guest use late one night, and they brought me a microwave from the employee lounge!

I did inquire about the executive floor level, as I was hoping to get bumped up myself, and the front desk clerk informed me that the only difference is a candy dish and a robe in the bathroom. It was something like $20 extra a night for those luxuries.... What a scam...

Originally Posted by vthokies
Hmm... thanks for that feedback. I'll make sure to mention that in my letter. I did ask to speak to the manager when I called, but was told that s/he was unavailable at the time.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:14 pm

I did get my breakfast coupons and the free bottled water. I was more pissed about being promised a "suite", which to me indicates two separate rooms or at least a large room. This room was not any larger than a standard hotel room. I did get a candy dish in the room. Makes sense if that is the only difference, because otherwise I can't imagine how much the regular suites blow.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
My family and I stayed here last spring, I wrote a report of it somewhere in the forum.

Anyways, I agree with past posters that the suite you received does not really seem to be a suite. The room we stayed in executive level, paid for a normal room, was indeed a two room suite. Although if I remember correctly I don't think we had a candy bowl.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
In todays market you never know what a "suite" is going to be. Some places call anything even SLIGHTLY larger than your average basic room a suite. If it's important to have a seperate bedroom you have to specifically ask these days what a hotels "suites" really are.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by vthokies
I did get my breakfast coupons and the free bottled water. I was more pissed about being promised a "suite", which to me indicates two separate rooms or at least a large room. This room was not any larger than a standard hotel room. I did get a candy dish in the room. Makes sense if that is the only difference, because otherwise I can't imagine how much the regular suites blow.

Did your room look at least similar to the hotel's website pic?
http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/h...tyhocn=ORDMDDT
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting report - and from the link to the photo, it would appear you were 1) downgraded, and 2) lied to. Not to mention had surly service. Chicago Doublespeak hotel, eh? I'll remember that...

Frankly, I'd write and request some kind of compensation if you received a slightly larger room with a furniture divider, even if it DID have a candy dish.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by kingalien
Did your room look at least similar to the hotel's website pic?
http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/h...tyhocn=ORDMDDT
This is most definitely not, or even remotely similar to, the room I was given. Thanks for the pic. I'll be sure to reference it in my letter.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
There seems to be quite a mixed bag here

I, too, had a very poor experience there recently:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362246

Others are happy there--but we won't be going back!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:25 pm

Homewood!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:50 pm

Just got a response back from the Doubletree. They oversold the executive suite and did in fact downgrade me last weekend. The hotel manager apologized and offered me two free nights anytime within the next year (subject to availability). I think this is a nice guesture. I don't currently have plans to be back in Chicago... might have to think up a reason.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Con. Key - UA GS - SPG VIP Plat - HY Courtesy
New Hilton Suites coming to downtown Chicago

The Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago Downtown is being converted to a Hilton Suites with a 15 million dollar makeover.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer1
The Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago Downtown is being converted to a Hilton Suites with a 15 million dollar makeover.
How exactly will we be able to tell the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.