Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 5:09 am

Location: Columbus, OH - AA Executive Platinum / SWA A-List Preferred / HHonors Diamond / Hertz President's Circle
JetGuy,

I haven't stayed at the Doubletree for a while, but I would recommend the Homewood Suites on E Grand....

First, the suites at Doubletree are a bit small as I remember. I also remember being a bit miffed at the size of the TV's. Overall, it was ok.

I've been staying in Chicago Mon-Thu every week since November and have found the Homewood to be my favorite. It is located at 40 E Grand, which is about 1.5 blocks to Michigan Ave. It is very close to the Mag Mile shopping (if you or your wife enjoy that) and very close to all of the great Ontario St restaurants.

The rooms are great - full kitchen, separate living room with VCR, and separate bedroom. It has a great workout facility (also nice pool) and full complimentary buffet breakfast. They just recently added complimentary wireless internet access and will even loan you a wireless card (complimentary) if you don't have one.

FYI.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 4:58 am

DT Chicago is nice. Depends on what you're doing in Chicago. Location is everything. Embassy Suites by Navy Pier gives you a new suite with drinks and breakfest. DT by Hancock gets you a suite (silver will get you a bigger one or one with a view) and coupons for free cont breakfast or $8 towards full breakfast. Palmer House Hilton in the Loop gets you an upgrade (not sure what Silver will get but I just got a 1300sf 2BR/2BA suite for New Years as Gold). The Executive floor has its own "all day buffet". Drinks are outrageous but the Osco at corner is cheap. No experience with HW, but DT is good in my book. I have stayed there plenty and have been pleased with upgrades and treatment. Stayed at Palmer House for location in theater district and have found a new "home" in Chicago at PH. Location is everything when the rates are close.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
They just put in new beds...

I can atest that they have just put new beds in all of the rooms... they did this on April 11th-13th, 2004.

I was just here from the 9th - 13th... I'll write up my "review" shortly.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:00 pm

Post Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago Report/Review

Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago-Downtown Report/Review

Just a "quick" report/review of this hotel...

We wanted to do a long weekend away with the family so we settled on Chicago.
I was able to find the, elusive for me, Sunday is Free promo so made reservations for a King Deluxe Suite NS (non-lake view) for April 9th - 13th. I was gambling that they would be able to upgrade us to a Lake-view room.
As an added bonus I was able to find a rate of $99 a night. (I just checked the rates and the lowest is $159 for the same room type).

Arrived Friday late afternoon... there is not much room when you are pulling your car up to the curb on the one way street that the hotel faces, so be aware.
We were greeted promptly by both a valet and a bellhop.
As this was our first family trip with our second child (8 wks old) we slightly overpacked. The bellhop took our 8 bags plus pack n' play w/o complaint and welcomed us to the hotel with a smile.

Check-in was quick, friendly and effecient. I asked if they were able to obtain an upgrade for me and was told that we had been upgraded to an Executive Level Lake-view room. I asked if there was an Executive/Conceriege Lounge and she said no but the rooms are larger and the view is better. I was satisfied with that.

She asked me how many people were in the room and I said, four. I thought she was just asking to confirm how many people but she then started filling out breakfast certificates. So we received two breakfast certificates per day and on each certificate she wrote "2X". I noticed what she was doing and said, "The other two people are my children", motioning over my shoulder to my wife and two young boys. She just looked up at me, then at where I was motioning and smiled and nodded.
Each breakfast certificate is good for a $6.25 credit in the resturant (Mrs. Park's Tavern) or the coffee shop (Blenz Coffee & Pastry shop). We were given $25 per day for my wife, my 18 month old son, my 8 week old son and myself for breakfast. Both my wife and I were very satisfied with that. I am still in the process of convincing my wife of the benefits of being a HH Gold, even if it means we pay a bit more to stay at Hilton property or doing a mattress run every once in awhile. Those breakfast certificates really helped with the convincing.
The front-desk person that checked me in also gave us four certificates (business sized cards) for the bottled water in the mini-bar. They had just run out of cookies, so she said that she would send somebody up with some cookies when they had some fresh ones.
After check-in the bellhop was waiting for us with our baggage, he took us to our room (#1413).

The room was nice although I was expecting the room to be slightly bigger then it was as that is what I had been told at check-in. Although since I had not seen any of the other rooms I really did not have anything to compare it with... just going on what I considered "big" in my own mind.
We had a good view of the lake and a lighthouse, although our view was probably about 30% blocked by another building.
I was pleased that we had been upgraded to a lake-view room.

The suite layout is as follows:
Walking in the door the wet bar/fridge area was directly to the left. There was a round table with four chairs in that area.
The next area, walking towards the window, you come to the sitting area. This area had a couch (which was also a pull-out sleeper) and a sitting chair (pretty uncomfortable when sitting for more then 5-10 minutes). The TV was
located in a recessed area in the wall. It was quite low to the ground which we found to be a hassle as our oldest son discovered the TV buttons. The window was very large and took up 90% of the wall.
Between the wet bar and the sitting areas there was a double door leading into the bedroom. There was also a TV in the bedroom, fortunately up on the dresser. The window in the bedroom also took up about 90% of the wall and had slightly less view of the lake as it was over about three feet from the sitting area window (I would say 31% of the view was blocked). Off of the bedroom there was a large closet and a sitting/powder area with bench, large mirror and extra lighting. This area acted as a short (approx 4') hallway to the bathroom. The bathroom was actually quite large. We were able to fit all four of us into the bathroom comfortably and could have fit a few more people into the bathroom.
Since the kids were along we did not try this.

After being in the room about an hour 8 cookies were delivered. They were warm. I did not tell my wife about the discussion on this board about the calories, fat and otherwise, contained in the cookies. I know deep down she does not want to know anyways.
Unfortunately we had to make do with the water as no milk was to be found in the mini-bar for less then $3 a pint.

The TV reception in this hotel is not the greatest. I believe we only got 5 or 6 channels and two of those had slight static.

We received turn down service every night, along with four or more warm cookies. Turn down consisted of quick clean up, additional towels hung up in bathroom, mini-fridge checked and making of bed and turn down. The nights we were in we were asked if we wanted turn down and also if we wanted the lights turned on or if we were in need of anything else. As we had the same maid for turn down for two out of the four nights, the last night I tipped her.
We were provided with two bathrobes, although they were missing the first night they were placed in our room the second day.

Regarding the factilities that we used... the pool was on the top floor - closes at 10pm sharp. Towels are provided.
We went each day, once in the afternoon and the rest of the time in the evening. The afternoon is definately less crowded then the evening. There were lots of kids with the parents mostly sitting watching the kids swim. Great for families - not the best place for romantic couples. They do have a hot tub (which seemed to be a bubble bath most of the time) and a sauna. We did not use the hot tub or the sauna.
On the same floor right off of the pool area, there is the work out room. It is pretty small and only had cardio equipment in it. A couple treadmills, a couple stationary bikes an eleptical machine, maybe two. It did have a TV and small towels.

Regarding the room service... we ordered room service one night. Pizza (pepperoni), Chicken Ceaser Salad, a child's meal (hot dog and french fries). Both adult meals were very very good. Service was on time to what they had told us (30-35 minutes).

Regarding Mrs. Park's Tavern... we only ate breakfast there.
One morning we all came down to eat. It was a bit crowded with a highchair at the table. The resturant is slightly crowded with tables, imo. The rest of the mornings I went down and ordered food and brought it back up for Mrs Infinityplusone and Jr. Infinityplusone 01 and Jr. Infinityplusone 02. Especially with the breakfast coupons, we ate very well. Since breakfast ended up being free each morning I would give the waiter that took my order a pretty nice tip.

A typical breakfast was some kind of omlette, a fruit salad, a muffin and/or oatmeal. A couple of the evenings when we went out to dinner, walking past Mrs. Park's it was doing a good business so I assume that they do dinner well.

Regarding the Blenz Coffee & Pastry Shop... the one thing I did notice was that this was the only place in the hotel where the staff (they may not be tied to DT) did not smile. Infact they were, for the most part, pretty unresponsive.
They provided coffee and other coffee drinks and took your money and that was pretty much it. Sometimes they would speak to you.

The breakfast coupons were a great bonus but even without that with the staff always greeting you with a "Hello" and a smile. The rate we were able to get was really good, plus the Sunday is Free offer made it even better.
Overall, I really enjoyed this hotel and will definately return.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thanks for the review. Are there restaurants nearby within walking distance? Also, how far is it from the lake?
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
Thumbs up Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago

I too had a great experience at the DoubleTree Guest Suites last October, on a "play day" prior to meetings out in Arlington Heights. I too thought the living area t.v. was way too low, and channel selection was very limited. The bedroom, "grand" closet/dressing area and bathroom were exceptional. I booked AARP (I just "barely" qualify for membership!) rate, saving enough that paid for one year membership. Had the Executive Level, 24th floor with awesome view. I highly recommend this hotel as it's close to Michigan Avenue and is walkable to many places. Being a meeting planner on a non-profit board, checked out their meeting space which was very good.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Barely" qualifying for AARP membership is like being "slightly pregnant."

And the membership is defintiely cheap, considering the many discounts out there - and they sometimes offer a 5 year discounted membership rate to boot. BTW, for non-AARPers, the AARP rate is more often than not the same as the AAA rate (but you don't have to plug in your AARP membership number on the HH booking form...)

Originally Posted by jetguy727
I too had a great experience at the DoubleTree Guest Suites last October, on a "play day" prior to meetings out in Arlington Heights. I too thought the living area t.v. was way too low, and channel selection was very limited. The bedroom, "grand" closet/dressing area and bathroom were exceptional. I booked AARP (I just "barely" qualify for membership!) rate, saving enough that paid for one year membership. Had the Executive Level, 24th floor with awesome view. I highly recommend this hotel as it's close to Michigan Avenue and is walkable to many places. Being a meeting planner on a non-profit board, checked out their meeting space which was very good.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago review

[QUOTE=JDiver]"Barely" qualifying for AARP membership is like being "slightly pregnant."

I love your quote! I've decided last year that turning 50 had some great advantages and perks! ^ (I will admit to being 50 but not a "senior citizen" just yet!)

Yes, I too have found that AARP and AAA rates are nearly always the same, except for the DT Guest Suites in Chicago! And not having to look up my AAA membership account number is nice too!
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:46 pm

Thumbs up Places to eat around DT Chicago Downtown...

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thanks for the review. Are there restaurants nearby within walking distance? Also, how far is it from the lake?
The easier, less complex answer first... the DT is a few blocks (3-4) from the lake. So it is less then a half of a mile to the lake. Although we did not go to the lake directly from the hotel so I do not know what that area is like. I do know that you have to cross a major street (North Lake Shore Drive - 4-6 lanes of traffic w/ a divider) from the hotel to get the the lake.
We "went to the lake" when we were at the Aquarium and the Navy Pier.
I say, "went to the lake" as we were by it but did not go in it or stay around too long on the beach areas as it was still pretty chilly when we went.
I would ask the hotel staff if they suggest visiting the lake in the area of the hotel, they should know if it is worth visiting.
For directions - the lake is east of the hotel or if you are coming out of the hotel main lobby, take a left to East Deleware, then a right and walk a few blocks. You'll hit the lake.

As for restaurants... yes, there are many places to eat and many good places to eat.
We ate at the Cheesecake Factory (directions), which we enjoyed. They have huge portions. It is about one block away.
We also ate at Giordano's (directions), they have very good deep dish pizza. They are about a 1/4 of a mile away. Also Ed Debevic's (less then a mile away) and another Chicago style pizza place, which I can not remember the name of right now.
There are a few places to eat in the Water Tower Place, as well as shop. Water Tower is a couple blocks away from the DT.
There were many other resturants that caught our eye, but as they were more formal and we had the kids on this trip we passed them up.

Last edited by infinityplusone; Jul 1, 2004 at 4:01 pm Reason: corrected poor speiling...
Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:38 pm

Thanks.

Thanks for the recommendations, infinityplusone (the math major in me finds that name a bit mind boggling. ) We won't have kids along but we will be looking for casual places to eat. No dressing up in the heat for us. From the links you kindly provided it looks like the DT has a good location. Thanks again!
Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by infinityplusone
The easier, less complex answer first... the DT is a few blocks (3-4) from the lake. So it is less then a half of a mile to the lake. Although we did not go to the lake directly from the hotel so I do not know what that area is like. I do know that you have to cross a major street (North Lake Shore Drive - 4-6 lanes of traffic w/ a divider) from the hotel to get the the lake.
You do not have to cross Lake Shore Drive to get to the Oak Street Beach. Walk out of the hotel an head the 1/2 block west to Michigan Ave. Take a right and walk along side the Drake. Cross EAST Lake Shore Drive (small two lane street not to be confused with North Lake Shore Drive: the 6 lane freeway). Continue straight and there will be a pedestrian tunnel that runs under North LSD and deposits you right on the Oak Street Beach.

The Oak Street Beach is very nice. Just make sure you go early in the day. The beach faces the east and behind you (to the west) all the highrise condos/apartments block the sun after about 5pm

BTW your review was dead on. Especially the TV location and reception: horrible for a Doubletree in a big city like Chicago.

The only thing I noticed that you didn't was that there was often a long wait for the elevators. Even though every time I've been there all the cars are running, it seems to be a long wait.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the correction!

Originally Posted by dweebe
BTW your review was dead on. Especially the TV location and reception: horrible for a Doubletree in a big city like Chicago.

The only thing I noticed that you didn't was that there was often a long wait for the elevators. Even though every time I've been there all the cars are running, it seems to be a long wait.

Thanks for the correction on the directions to the beach.

Actually I did notice the long wait(s) for the elevators but for whatever reason, I do not remember now - probably the review already being too long, I did not mention it.
Come to think of it the last couple of stays I've had (Hilton GRR, HI Northville, MI) both had sloooow elevators.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 5:26 pm

Thanks for the directions to Oak Street Beach. If we continue walking north from that beach, will we end up at North Avenue Beach? About how long would it take to walk from the DT to North Avenue Beach assuming a leisurely pace -- half an hour? We're wondering what's within a reasonable walking distance of the DT and what would require hopping on a bus. Gracias.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thanks for the directions to Oak Street Beach. If we continue walking north from that beach, will we end up at North Avenue Beach? About how long would it take to walk from the DT to North Avenue Beach assuming a leisurely pace -- half an hour? We're wondering what's within a reasonable walking distance of the DT and what would require hopping on a bus. Gracias.
Yes, if you continue north from Oak Street Beach you'll get to the North Ave. Beach. However I'm not from Chicago so I can't say for sure how long a walk would be. My guess though would be around 45 minutes to get from there.

Unless you're really into walking the best way to get there would either be bus or taxi. Everytime I've tried to go to the North Ave. beach the parking lot has been full. Plus I think they charge $11 to park there.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:47 am

Thanks, dweebe. We won't have a car so we'll get transit passes and do the bus/train bit with the occasional taxi thrown in.

I won't try the patience of the moderators by asking any additional related questions here -- we do have a Chicago forum after all. Plus it looks like the nearby Residence Inn will be getting our business instead of the DT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.