Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Old Apr 12, 11, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Platinum, CP Gold, IHG Gold
Thanks for the replies, which I will have to keep in mind in the future.

I remember once I was driving to DC from PA, and it was late at night, and I was having a very difficult time staying awake. Even though I was maybe only an hour and a quarter from home, I finally realized that I really needed to stop driving. I got off at an exit, and pulled into an area with a number of hotels and shops. There was an HGI and HI right beside each other. The HI was a hair closer to the street, so that's where I went. I asked the front desk clerk what the difference was, and he basically said something to the effect that there really wasn't one. So that's where I stayed, and it was perfectly fine. This was probably 7-8 years ago, methinks. tls
Old Apr 13, 11, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Kathy said it all for me. There are a few Hamptons I've stayed in that raise the bar, but not to HGI level.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
You must have been lucky in the Hampton Inn properties you've stayed at. There is in fact WIDE variation among them. Some are very basic, no-frills places with obviously cheap furnishings, small windows, and limited breakfast options. Others are much, much more luxurious. Some have microwaves and fridges in the rooms, but most do not (at least in my experience). Also, there is typically NO restaurant. (There have been other threads on Hampton Inns, including a long one devoted to reviews of HIs in various locations.)

I find HGI to be VERY different from HI. Most HGIs seem to be pretty new and much more uniform than HI. There is always a fridge and microwave in the room at HGI; always a pantry, a business center with free internet access, and (I believe) free high-speed internet in the rooms. There is a restaurant onsite, and it doesn't just serve breakfast, but other meals as well. In sum, you get a lot more than the no-frills experience, and rates are set accordingly.
Old Apr 13, 11, 8:55 am

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
HI and HGI are often the only Hilton options in some of the out of the way locations I visit. I will always choose the HGI because the breakfast is better(cooked to order), I can eat dinner at the bar in the hotel and have a drink or two with it and earn additional HH points for charging the meal to the room. Its also nice to have the pantry available.

There are some great new HI out there but the HGI product seems to be more consistent.
Old Apr 13, 11, 1:03 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I like everything better about HGI except for the beds. And unfortunately, that makes me pick HI almost every time over HGI. I used to always choose HGI until they got the new beds. I feel like sleeping on the floor is more comfortable. Therefore, these days if I have the choice between the two I almost always choose HI so I can actually get some sleep.
Old Apr 13, 11, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hginPHL View Post
I like everything better about HGI except for the beds. And unfortunately, that makes me pick HI almost every time over HGI. I used to always choose HGI until they got the new beds. I feel like sleeping on the floor is more comfortable. Therefore, these days if I have the choice between the two I almost always choose HI so I can actually get some sleep.
The Hampton Beds are super comfy, but you can also adjust the HGI beds you know...
Old Apr 16, 11, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I was Blue/Silver I preferred Hampton Inns due to the free breakfast. Since I've become Gold, I'd rather pay a few extra dollars for a Garden Inn. The breakfasts are better, they usually have some form of a bar and the non-upgraded rooms are better. A lot of the Hamptons I end up at have tiny bathrooms which are squeezed into a corner of the bedroom and some of them have the soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers in the shower which I hate.
Old Apr 16, 11, 7:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat , HH Diamond , IHG Spire
The HGI in Panama City Fla is also very good
Old Jul 4, 11, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, TrueBlue, Marriott Silver, SPG, Hertz 5*, VX Elevate, AGR
Had my first HGI stay at the Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga property this past weekend.
I enjoyed my stay very much. The property was new, full breakie good and rooms were
clean. Give me an HGI over a HI any day! Though my only two HI stays were at JFK and
the other near OKC Airport. I'm usually a Hilton, ES kinda guy but will surely seek out
HGI properties more.
Old Jul 4, 11, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
Originally Posted by hginPHL View Post
I like everything better about HGI except for the beds.
Wow, I feel the exact opposite. I will even stay at a local HGI just to get a great nights sleep on that bed! Just crank it up to the firm setting and don't move all night. (well, OK, the stay credit also)
Old Jul 4, 11, 9:22 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
All else being equal, HGI every time.

Even not equal, slightly farther to work, a bit higher price, still go with HGI.

HI inconsistency is greater than HGI. The difference between best and worst at HI is enormous. Not so much at HGI.

Hot breakfast and larger rooms at HGI. The bed is good.

Every so often I get a suite upgrade at HI, but almost never at HGI. This usually only occurs at the better HI's anyway.
TomKap likes this.
Old Jul 5, 11, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
For me both are great properties, as both do really well with consistency. Amenities (shampoo, soap, etc) as well as breakfast of course is given a nudge towards HGI, but I still love Hamptons!
Old Jul 5, 11, 9:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors, Priority Club, Hyatt Platinum
Assuming the bed is in good shape, I LOVE the HGI beds. I prefer the full firm setting - perhaps dialed back by an 1/4 inch. There are times where the beds don't seem to be completely functional however.

The one aspect where I prefer HI over HGI, is the size of the bathrooms. They are just too cramped in most HGIs. I really hate having to battle the toilet which blocks the counter.

Course, one of the most important differences is the opportunity for REAL food at breakfast. Granted, it does cost extra... but I like being able to have freshly cooked-to-order breakfasts available on the property. All the carbs at HI get's old really fast on longer trips.
Old Aug 27, 13, 3:15 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Does anyone have details of the brand standards/ minimums for Hamptons?

A number have recently opened in the UK, they are new clean, fresh, but I think quite different to the US standards.

For example, I have stayed in two in two nights. Internet in both is slow (0.5 mb). In one room it didn't work, so moved rooms (should I ask about the Hampton Guarantee?). No pools- normal for UK. No free local calls. Hot breakfast is 4 items- scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, beans (and toast if you want). No free tea and coffee in the lobby. Had to ask in both about Diamond drink/ snack.

I'm just wondering if this is the standard, or perhaps I stayed in some exceptional US Hamptons? Its fine, they are good value, but remember my US Hampton breakfasts being more varied!
Old Aug 27, 13, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, AA Gold
I used to stay at ES or HI for the free breakfast as a Silver. Since making Gold, I've been trying more full service properties if the price is right. I think HGI has the most consistently good breakfast offering of the Hilton portfolio. It sure beats the scrambled "eggs" you find at HIs.
Old Dec 3, 13, 7:31 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
It sure beats the scrambled "eggs" you find at HIs.
That stuff is gross. I did find some hard-boiled eggs at HI. Cold, but real (I hope).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: