FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Embassy Suites Secaucus - Meadowlands {US-NJ} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/493697-embassy-suites-secaucus-meadowlands-us-nj.html)

hhonorman Jun 8, 03 4:02 pm

Embassy Suites Secaucus - Meadowlands {US-NJ}

I've done a search for reviews of this place, but there seems to be none. Any comments and/or insight are appreciated.

Kitty Hawk Jun 8, 03 8:16 pm

What did you need to know? I'm not a big Embassy Suites fan, but I've stayed there a couple of times--it's about a mile or so from my NJ office. The hotel tends to be horribly overpriced, and many of the rooms are not suites, just regular rooms with a mini-fridge and a microwave, so use caution when booking online. The staff is ok, not great, at the front desk. It's in an area that's pretty desolate at night; a lot of office buildings, the Meadowlands convention center (such as it is), many mid-tier hotels, and two small malls, both of which are technically within walking distance although given the desolation of the area, and the lack of sidewalks, I wouldn't try it, especially at night.

There are a couple of less expensive and slightly more attractive options nearby: the Hampton Inn is decent (although I prefer the Hampton a few miles away in Carlstadt), and there's a newish Garden Inn on the other side of the highway.

If you have a specific question, ask away.

(edited because I have not yet learned to spell)

[This message has been edited by Kitty Hawk (edited 06-08-2003).]

ontheroad Jun 9, 03 3:28 pm

Regardless of the quality of the hotel, the location drives my suggestion that you not drink tap water. Stick to purified, bottled water.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.

hhonorman Jun 9, 03 8:58 pm

As a diamond, do you think I'll get a suite, on a point stretcher stay? What about my friend, a Gold VIP whose also staying there in another room on a point stretcher; do you think he'll get a suite? Also, do you think my car will be relatively safe in the parking lot, or should I be worried about Tony Soprano's crew eyeballing it? Does the hotel do the manager's reception and the free made to order breakfast? Are the rooms run down or are they clean and decent? Would you stay here on a point stretcher if the purpose of your trip was to do a day trip into NYC. I've stayed at many properties in the city, and know what that's like, but it seems hard to pass up a stay this close to the city for only 15k points. Do you think it's worth it, or is this one of those horrible properties in the hilton family?

[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 06-09-2003).]

Kitty Hawk Jun 10, 03 7:21 am

I'll answer as many as I can.

Your car will be perfectly safe, unless it's a Testarossa, or a Silver Phantom, or the like, and if it is, why are you worrying about point stretchers?

I don't know anything about the probability of upgrades; the couple of times I stayed there I just wanted to sleep, and as long as the room had a decent bed, I didn't care how large the space around the bed was. I don't know about the manager's reception or the breakfast; I got to the hotel around midnight and left around six am. As I recall the rooms were in good shape.

As far as a day trip to New York from the hotel, it's close to the Lincoln Tunnel, which gets you directly to midtown Manhattan, and if you don't care to drive, there is decent bus service during the day across the street from the hotel. I can check into the evening service if you like. Please don't drive through the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour if you can avoid it.

It's not a bad deal for 15k points, given the price of hotels in the city. It's not a hotel experience you will treasure the rest of your life, but on the other hand, it isn't one of those horrible hotels that you will tell amusing stories about for the next few years, either.

ontheroad is absolutely correct: do not drink what comes out of the tap. It is nasty.

elbidercni Jun 10, 03 7:39 am

I stayed there once, and had a decent experience. Not a stay to write home about but what you would expect at an average Embassy Suites property. It's near a few restaurants and easy access to get in and out of NYC. Far better place than the Fort Lee Hilton!

rnovak May 18, 05 3:38 pm

Embassy Suites - Meadowlands NJ.. No Gold welcome pkg

I arrived last night at the Embassy Suites - Meadowlands (NJ) and at check in asked the desk clerk if my Gold welcome package (Water and Cookies) were in the room.

I was told "You don't get a welcome package at Embassy Suites, that's only at Hilton's". Seeing that it was already almost 1 a.m. and I wanted to get some sleep I let it go.

It seems that more and more I have to ask for my 'welcome' package at the Hilton branded hotels, not much of a welcome if you have to ask for it...

Anyone else seeing this trend??

I really wanted my cookies :(

Points Scrounger May 18, 05 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by rnovak
I arrived last night at the Embassy Suites - Meadowlands (NJ) and at check in asked the desk clerk if my Gold welcome package (Water and Cookies) were in the room.

I was told "You don't get a welcome package at Embassy Suites, that's only at Hilton's". Seeing that it was already almost 1 a.m. and I wanted to get some sleep I let it go.

It seems that more and more I have to ask for my 'welcome' package at the Hilton branded hotels, not much of a welcome if you have to ask for it...

Anyone else seeing this trend??

I really wanted my cookies :(

The clerk had it backwards: Embassy gives the cookies and actual "Hiltons" don't. I would've brought it up again at the desk the next morning, when that clerk wasn't on duty.
As for being "Touched" at Embassy and Hampton, I've always had success with the snax. Worst case has been at Embassy Suites in Portland, OR; I did not realize the loot was missing until a housekeeper knocked in the early evening to deliver it (obviously without my asking).

AlanB May 18, 05 8:21 pm

I stayed there just about over a month ago, as a gold at that time.

No cookies for me either, but I did get the rest of the Embassy Touch, namely the robe and the water. I didn't ask however either for that. I did get my one drink coupon for the manager's reception and all drinks after that are 1 buck. Of course you arrived way too late for that.

The waitress who served me that drink by the way, was awesome. Probably the best empolyee I encountered in that hotel. She was serving like 30 tables and working her butt off, and it was her job to refill the food on the buffet too. But she somehow managed to keep everyone happy.

Have they finished the remodel/re-carpteting yet? I wasn't happy that they gave me a room on a floor, where there was no carpet in the hallway. Only the padding was down on that floor. I thought that was pretty tacky.

Portolan May 18, 05 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB
I did get my one drink coupon for the manager's reception and all drinks after that are 1 buck.

Wow! Is that occuring elsewhere at Embassy Suites? It has been an open bar for the duration at the others I've stayed at (as recently as last month at the downtown Denver location).

:confused:

AlanB May 18, 05 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Portolan
Wow! Is that occuring elsewhere at Embassy Suites? It has been an open bar for the duration at the others I've stayed at (as recently as last month at the downtown Denver location).

:confused:

From what I understand, it's a law in New Jersey that requires that setup. I know for a fact that in the State of Mass they can't even give away 1 free drink, because it's against the law in that state.

The state wants to collect its sales tax, and there is no tax on free. So they outlawed free drinks to make more money. :mad:

Points Scrounger May 18, 05 10:00 pm

New Jersey is rather fussy about any alcohol sales. If it's above zero proof - it's booze! Don't go looking for beer/wine at supermarkets and convenience stores; only genuine liquor stores (and there are a limited number of licenses) can sell any hooch whatsoever there.
As far as Hilton itself goes, my last stay at ES - Portland, OR included a Manager's reception with unlimited well drinks; prices were clearly displayed for Top Shelf.

AlanB May 18, 05 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
New Jersey is rather fussy about any alcohol sales. If it's above zero proof - it's booze! Don't go looking for beer/wine at supermarkets and convenience stores; only genuine liquor stores (and there are a limited number of licenses) can sell any hooch whatsoever there.
As far as Hilton itself goes, my last stay at ES - Portland, OR included a Manager's reception with unlimited well drinks; prices were clearly displayed for Top Shelf.

While you're right, one can't find anything other than beer in a supermarket, NJ isn't that bad by comparison to nearby states with regard to alcohol. I grew up there, before moving to NYC. There are plenty of liquor stores in NJ, all privately owned, and most are even open on Sunday's at least for the last 15 years or so.

NY only last year approved liquor sales on Sunday's. Conneticut and PA still only allow state run shops, that make liquor about 20% to 30% more pricy than NJ.

So I can't complain too much about the 1 free drink law.

Points Scrounger May 19, 05 12:47 am

Gee, I thought the only loophole for booze there was that a very few supermarkets could sell warm beer only. I recall when NJ Sunday sales started (just as I turned legal age - most convenient). It is my understanding that the liquor licenses are (or were) based on outdated population statistics before the boom on the 70's/80's there.
NY finally got tired of the Sunday PATH runs to Hoboken, eh? Kinda like the tax-free clothing at Jersey City (and Paramus) malls spurred them to repeal their tax.
Keeping (somewhat) on topic, I recall a Manager's Reception at a Holiday Inn Express in MS where the bartender gave two free drinks just before closing time. ^
As far as Elite benefits go, Hilton has been pretty darned good. I recall booking a room at a modest rate at a nearby Hampton for my brother not long ago (he doesn't care about Hilton credit, and I live for it. You know how it goes ...).
He was astounded to find himself in a rather spacious suite.

leeinct May 19, 05 9:39 am

I stayed at two embassys last week but the one in El Segundo didn't do anything above the typical cookie and water routine. Pretty crappy for a Diamond ammenity. The one in Buena Park actually gave a free movie voucher which was a nice treat.

Getting closer to the three wedges. One should be on the way. Another two scheduled next week!