Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Clocks: The Definitive Information and How-To Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Clocks: The Definitive Information and How-To Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kcnwa
I had a clock that was off an hour after DST. I called the front desk and indeed, they sent up a maintenance guy.
Now why in the world would Hilton invest in a bunch of alarm clocks that require a maintenance call to adjust the time?? Seems like there'd be other tasks that are slightly more important for maintenance staff to attend to.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:38 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Not sure why either. I was kind of ticked off (pun intended). It was 11:30pm when I got it, I just wanted to sleep. It took the guy 20 minutes or so to figure it out. He didn't even shut off the DST, he just adjusted the time. *shakes head* the clock still said DST but at least had the right time.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:36 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lpas
Now why in the world would Hilton invest in a bunch of alarm clocks that require a maintenance call to adjust the time?? Seems like there'd be other tasks that are slightly more important for maintenance staff to attend to.
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. I've sort of been doing a matress run for Hilton before the end of the year. Besides the setting the clock silliness, I've noticed some clocks that you can't set the presets on the top (I like setting Jazz to the local NPR station when appropriate and News to the local AM all news station) and some that you can.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
The Hilton family now has two alarm clock/radios that could have been excellent products, but instead are duds. The first was the new clock introduced at Hampton Inns when they did a makeover some time ago. Very nice clock/radio, except no way to wake to the radio. Well, at least I can set the time correctly on that one. The second, the new Hilton clock, apparently lacks an easy way to adjust the time. I encountered this over the weekend on a stay at a Hilton Garden Inn where the time was an hour ahead. After pushing every combination of buttons and looking all over the clock for a time adjust switch, I gave up and set the alarm an hour ahead as well. I least I could wake to the radio with this one.

The lack of attention to detail in the design of these two products should be a downright embarassment for Hilton. The people who designed these things clearly don't use clocks, radios, or alarms. If someone from Hilton is reading this, why not use FlyerTalkers to review your design the next time you plan a new product. Stuff like this would never make it through.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:23 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
On the plus side... the clocks at the Hilton looks cool
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:10 am

I wonder if there are any internal Hilton rumblings about it.
I'm sure that if my employer a significant investment in something so bad there'd be fallout, either internally or in seeking a solution from the vendor.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
While we're on a clock rant ...

My last stay the volume was broken - the setting I got was the one I got stuck with.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lpas
Actually, this makes sense to me. If the customers can't adjust the time, the chances of someone relying on a misset clock go down to zero. Change them twice a year when the time changes and you're done.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by milepig
Actually, this makes sense to me. If the customers can't adjust the time, the chances of someone relying on a misset clock go down to zero. Change them twice a year when the time changes and you're done.
A very valid theory that misses the practical by only "this much"....cause in reality the power goes out, people unplug things (accidently or intentionally) and then the clock is useless til someone with clock adjustment training comes and fixes it.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I agree with it too... plus many of the newer clocks have small internal clocks so they can go without power for days and as soon as they are plugged in, they reset themselves. Makes you kind of wonder how the time gets off in the first place.

Last edited by kcnwa; Dec 29, 2005 at 7:06 am
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3.1 Million AA Miles, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold
Angry

This represents what my co-workers call the "Idiot comment". As critical as a clock can be to working travelers, there is always somebody who likes things merely for their appearance sake.

Even if the damm thing does NOT work properly, they still like it! Truly an idiot.

As an added comment, three of us were staying at the Hilton at Hampton and Port Washington Roads in North Milwaukee, Wisconsin and NONE of the three radios in our three different rooms would get any FM stations. Also, ALL of the radios still had the antenna wire bundled up from their original shipping. We unrolled the antennas out and still got NO FM stations.

Our head techie also said that adding the automatic atomic clock reception capability to a clock circut board, at the time of front end design, would have added less than $.15 cents to the total cost of manufacturing in a large lot order. That would eliminate ANY maintenance twice a year and ensured that the clocks were always set to the correct time. Someone at Hilton screwed up in the original design of these stupid clocks.

Having learned the hard way over time, I ALWAYS carry my own alarm clock with an atomic clock feature and extra batteries. NEVER, EVER trust ANY clock in any hotel room.

Also this hilton served water in soap film covered water glasses. The waiter tried seven different glasses and ALL resulted in soap bubbles and a film slime floating on the surface of the water.

Avoid this Hilton.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
In a slightly related thread...

Here's how you adjust the radio presets.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:26 pm
MSP

Programs: NW Worldperks, AAdvantage, HHonors, SPG, National EC
I've got to agree with not customers not being able to adjust the time. In comparing my pre-new clock days and all other hotels with the new hilton/hampton clock, I've commonly found incorrectly set clocks in the former, but not once has the clock been more than 5 mins different than my own in the latter.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:23 am

Programs: CO Plat, AA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Pref Sel
Clock a big disappointment

Adding to the clock/radio rant - I was looking forward to trying out the AUX plug in for my iPod on a recent Doubletree stay but the sound quality was so bad I could bear listing to it. It was it sounded so fuzzy that it just annoyed me and I gave up listening. Big bummer as I was there three nights it would have been nice to kick back to my own tunes while I was there.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Brandy
This represents what my co-workers call the "Idiot comment". As critical as a clock can be to working travelers, there is always somebody who likes things merely for their appearance sake.

Even if the damm thing does NOT work properly, they still like it! Truly an idiot.
You should really read ALL of my comments about the clock before commenting.

*shakes head*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.