Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by pentiumii
Well, I don't accept onuses from other people. And I don't suffer fools who think they make up the rules. The hilton suk is a dump, I stand by that statement and if you want to see why it is a dump, then you have every right to book a room and see. I will continue enjoying my free two hour unlimited bar access at the le Meridien and see if I can forget our engagement.
LOL, this is rock solid FT contribution on your part about a hotel being a "dump". Perhaps if you had bothered checking the Hilton Sukhumvit thread you would have noticed that I have stayed there before and unlike you I made the effort to write a hotel review for that property so I do not need to "book a room and see". I have already seen. I probably know the hotel's strengths and weaknesses more than you do and I was interested in having a decent exchange in the other thread but it takes two to tango.

Fortunately your contribution about Conrad Bangkok had a bit more substance to it, although that is not saying much. Breakfast in the restaurant is free for Hilton Diamonds, and Conrad Bangkok is no exception whether they offered it to you or not.

Enjoy your drinks at LM, oh by the way I thought reading you in another thread that you were dumping Marriott? That did not last long
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:24 am

I do have to admit, I haven't stayed in hell, so my comment may have been an exaggeration. I agree that today seemed better. Heading for Phuket tomorrow so maybe being by the water will be cooling. I wasn't complaining about the heat, I got what I signed up for, but for anyone wanting an opinion of the temp, it is HOT! I will write a review of the Hilton Suk sometime after I get back home. If you were going to be going there soon, I would happily share my experience. My traveling companion checked out early and moved to the Athenne. I am actually surprised how much I like the le Meridien. We are only in SE Asia due to that cathay pacific 'mistake' fare in January and will be using the first leg of it out of hanoi in a week or so. First class, Han - YVR for $995 us rt. Used a flight to BKK to get in position and it has really been interesting. Going to do the reverse leg in October. I will be in HKG then for a bit, so if you have a Hilton recommendation that would be helpful. Otherwise, I will probably go back to the Renaissance even though I am trying to get away from marriott. Thank you for your comment. Maybe the heat is getting to me.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:30 am

I will write a review of the Hilton Suk sometime after I get back home. If you were going to be going there soon, I would happily share my experience. My traveling companion checked out early and moved to the Athenne. I am actually surprised how much I like the le Meridien.
I have reviewed Athenee recently as well and it's a solid hotel. I am not going to Hilton Sukhumvit soon but I am always interested to hear feedback from others to know how their stay was because it can steer my future stays. Hope to read more from you in the Hilton Sukhumvit thread.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
We just left the Conrad a couple of days ago. Sadly we moved to the Hilton Sukramvit and it is a dump.

I am diamond and I don't remember them offering me breakfast in the restaurant. The lounge was pretty decent, comfortable chairs, friendly staff.

I felt recognized for my status, but nobody went overboard. Allegedly a premium room.

Sadly, we don't appreciate what we have until we move to a dump. At the Meridien now and it is much better than I expected it to be. Titanium status got a one bedroom suite, unlimited Prosecco in a separate area of the restaurant, and free drink at their bar from 5:30 to 7:30. They do not have a lounge.

PS, it is hotter than hell here now.
For a decade long Flyertalker don't you read the (Hilton Sukhumvit) hotel thread? Rookie mistake.

Everyone knows the Hilton Sukhumvit is poor with suite upgrades, everyone knows that Diamonds get complimentary in the restaurant or executive lounge. But at rates in the low 3,000BHT mark (and often close to half the price of the Conrad / Le Meridien) this can be good value - yes we have stayed there a couple of times in 12 months and enjoyed the Sukhumvit/Phrom Phong area.

For the Le Meridien, stayed in those suites you are talking about many times (when they were once part of Starwood). Sure its a nice hotel too, one of my favourites (7-8 years ago) but poor location for my situation, yes no lounge but comped happy hour etc but obviously to cater for folks with status who "enjoy" lounges. Bangkok being so amazing in every aspect (well maybe not congestion, smog) there are tonnes of bars (to cater for any price point) so why would anyone want to waste time in a lounge anyway - sitting in a hotel bar OR high up at the Grand Cru Champagne Bar .... maybe the rooftop is too hot for you however.

Anyway Bangkok, one is spoilt with choices, another possible rookie mistake staying at the Le Meridien over the St Regis Bangkok because the Le Meridien would likely be a 'dump' in your eyes.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
For a decade long Flyertalker don't you read the (Hilton Sukhumvit) hotel thread? Rookie mistake.

Everyone knows the Hilton Sukhumvit is poor with suite upgrades, everyone knows that Diamonds get complimentary in the restaurant or executive lounge. But at rates in the low 3,000BHT mark (and often close to half the price of the Conrad / Le Meridien) this can be good value - yes we have stayed there a couple of times in 12 months and enjoyed the Sukhumvit/Phrom Phong area.

For the Le Meridien, stayed in those suites you are talking about many times (when they were once part of Starwood). Sure its a nice hotel too, one of my favourites (7-8 years ago) but poor location for my situation, yes no lounge but comped happy hour etc but obviously to cater for folks with status who "enjoy" lounges. Bangkok being so amazing in every aspect (well maybe not congestion, smog) there are tonnes of bars (to cater for any price point) so why would anyone want to waste time in a lounge anyway - sitting in a hotel bar OR high up at the Grand Cru Champagne Bar .... maybe the rooftop is too hot for you however.

Anyway Bangkok, one is spoilt with choices, another possible rookie mistake staying at the Le Meridien over the St Regis Bangkok because the Le Meridien would likely be a 'dump' in your eyes.
Not sure why you are attacking me, yes I made a rookie mistake, but I was trying to visit different areas of the city and I failed to find the failings of the Hilton Suk. This week it has been so hot that the happy hour at the bar seemed like the perfect time to wait for the sun to go down and start the night part of the day. We visited multiple rooftop bars, ending with Vertigo last night. I guess I offended people somehow so it is coming back to me why I might have visited less frequently. The Meridien met my 'river' needs like Jack's bar, and the cooking school.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:58 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
We just left the Conrad a couple of days ago. Sadly we moved to the Hilton Sukramvit and it is a dump.

I am diamond and I don't remember them offering me breakfast in the restaurant. The lounge was pretty decent, comfortable chairs, friendly staff.

I felt recognized for my status, but nobody went overboard. Allegedly a premium room..
Not my experience at all. After a few stays at the Conrad, I stayed at Hilton Suk last month. Was upgraded to a very nice large suite, enjoyed the great breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the lounge. Everyone went above and beyond IMO, nice fruit tray in the living room and dessert brought up every afternoon.
Not a dump at all!
restlessinRNO and escape4 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I am staying in a Grand Premium room (xx22) at the Conrad BKK now. It looks similar to the Premium rooms shown here. The work desk isn't round but a square desk on the wall with all the usual international plugs. Works well to work on and doesn't have a glass top which would prevent most laser mice from working. WiFi is capped at 20Mbps but works well in the room (not in the breakfast restaurant).

It's my first time here (I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental). Lobby and new room are certainly nice.
The lounge and and Cafe@2 (breakfast restaurant) are sub-par compared to what other properties in BKK offer. Cafe@2 feels a bit cramped and with the low ceiling height and the selection isn't as good as at the IC. Presentation could be nicer even though the staff was doing their best keeping it looking neat.

I am in a "let's try other properties" mood and will most likely choose another property for my next stay.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We have been staying here since about 2005. It has always been one of our favourites and we have enjoyed the personalised service and Thai flare it has previously offered.
We were sadly rather disappointed with our stay this last weekend. There seems to have been an amount of trimming back and we did not like the newly refurbished premium king room. Management keeps a low profile and are not forth coming.

Check in was downstairs rather than in the executive lounge as in the past.
There was no welcome back and no welcome letter with lounge timings etc on it. We asked for this three times and never did get one. Front desk gave us the executive lounge opening times verbally which turned out to be incorrect.

The room had been partially refurbished. All of the Thai trappings have been removed , there are now no pictures or ornaments. The silks have all been removed and replaced with gray leather . It could be a room in any city. The automatic blinds are very annoying as they go up each time you enter the room even at night . The bed side lights can’t be switched on and off individually and one had already lost its switch. The tv is meant to now be all the information source you need and connect with your phone. After half an hour of trying to make it work we gave up. The Japanese toilet is American standard and the water it squirts is only cold, be aware! Only one dressing gown.

we went out for 4 hours one evening and asked for a turn down which never happened. Rang and spoke to the night manager who said he would ask one of his colleagues to talk to us in the morning.

executive lounge offerings are not as good as they have been in the past and it just did not feel like a personalised service .

Assistant front desk manager sent to see us the next morning and we had a nice chat about our concerns . Talking to her it would seem that the new rooms are proving some what of an issue . It feels as though the management are trying to penny pinch too much and it shows.

Perhaps we had been spoiled by the Hilton Phuket , the rooms there need some attention but the
management and staff were always present and visible and engaging. The conrad should be better .
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM
simonsmith - Generally I agree with your comments, although this remains one of my favorite Bangkok hotels. I was there again just recently. The refurnished rooms no longer have the Thai trappings, which I think was a mistake. We missed the orchids in the room. The executive lounge was busy in the evening, but we could find seats. We received a 2 pm late check-out (as HH D). Unfortunately the Café@2 breakfast restaurant has always felt dim and was crowded, but I felt the offerings remained excellent. Maybe I should have breakfast in the lounge. However I feel the Conrad Bangkok offers good value for money in central Bangkok.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
simonsmith - Generally I agree with your comments, although this remains one of my favorite Bangkok hotels. I was there again just recently. The refurnished rooms no longer have the Thai trappings, which I think was a mistake. We missed the orchids in the room. The executive lounge was busy in the evening, but we could find seats. We received a 2 pm late check-out (as HH D). Unfortunately the Café@2 breakfast restaurant has always felt dim and was crowded, but I felt the offerings remained excellent. Maybe I should have breakfast in the lounge. However I feel the Conrad Bangkok offers good value for money in central Bangkok.
Thank you for your feedback. A few comments for the sake of the argument:

You agree with @simonsmith 's comments but you list mostly bad features of Conrad. Being able to find a seat for happy hour is hardly a strong argument, neither is 2pm check-out when Marriott and Hyatt both guarantee 4pm check-out to elite members. Breakfast in the restaurant has decent food but not above and beyond the competition and it's such a zoo that it makes the whole thing unpleasant, regardless of what the food is. Just like you, I felt it's better to have lesser offerings in the lounge at Conrad, so that's a minus for me, not a plus.

Specifically what does Conrad have that is better than the competition in your opinion? Perhaps room upgrades for Diamonds? Which room types do you normally get upgraded to? Upgrades are generally speaking hit and miss. Some on FT report good upgrades, some not. For me one strength of Conrad is not room upgrades, but rather its swimming pool. No debate here - it is better than most other hotels in BKK.

You mention Conrad is one of your favorites in Bangkok - it would be useful to know which other hotels you rank below Conrad. When Conrad is less than 4k THB per night then I agree with you that it's good value for the money, but I find sub 4k rates only about 10-20% of the time. When rates are above 4.5k THB or 5k THB I would say the opposite: it's bad value for the money.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We had our tenth stay at Conrad Bangkok at the end of last year and it was as good as ever.
Infact our last 3 or 4 most recent stays have been the best yet
One of our favourite Conrad's and we are always well looked after
Dissapointing to hear about cutbacks in lounge and deteriation in service
Cutbacks seem to be happening across the board everywhere recently
I notice some Conrads and Waldorfs have recently replaced genuine Nespresso coffee capsules with an inferior copy.

Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by PaulH1
One of our favourite Conrad's and we are always well looked after

Which Conrad do you consider inferior to Conrad Bangkok? Solely concentrating on Asia, I think all of the following are better than Conrad Bangkok:
Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Macau, Manila. And I have never been to Conrad Osaka, but reading reviews I would be surprised if anybody said Bangkok is better than Osaka.

Depending on the exact definition of "Asia", if Bora Bora is Asia then Conrad BB is better than Conrad Bangkok too, while Conrad Dubai would be the only one I rank below Conrad Bangkok if Dubai is Asia.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:48 pm

Conrad Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo are also very good also but double to treble the price of Conrad Bangkok

Conrad Macau was fantastic and only £150 a night but not much to do there

Conrad Bangkok offers fantastic service, great multiple category room upgrades, good lounge offerings, we are always extended early check in and very late check out and have always been treated like valued guests in one of my favourite cities all for around £100 a night i don't think you can go wrong and rate it very highly indeed

Conrad Dubai used to be great but haven't been back in a few years after 3 terrible stays.

Just paid £400 for a very sub par night at Conrad St James which I know is not Asia but is a Conrad nevertheless
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by PaulH1
Conrad Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo are also very good also but double to treble the price of Conrad Bangkok

Conrad Macau was fantastic and only £150 a night but not much to do there
Yes I know what you mean, but what I had in mind is how is the hotel relative to the local market. Sorry if I was not very clear. Conrad Bangkok is inferior to so many other properties in Bangkok from other hotel chains in my humble opinion. In contrast, in Singapore, HK, and Tokyo, I am not finding boatloads of competitors from other hotel chains which beat Conrad, unlike in Bangkok. So I am not comparing price levels, what I have in mind is which Conrad is a top quartile hotel in its own city? Singapore, check, HK, check, Tokyo, check. Bangkok, I don't think so.

Macau of course if you do not want to travel there then you will not enjoy Conrad but if that is the reason, then you would not enjoy any hotel (even the best of the best). Once again when I compare to other hotels in Macau, Conrad is a solid choice there.

Otherwise, if all you care about is price, then you could just pick lots of random hotels in Bangkok and compare them to hotels in a high priced city and claim that such and such random hotel in Bangkok is the best, for example that Novotel Bangkok is better than Novotel somewhere in France. What you are really saying is that Bangkok hotels offer more for the money than other cities, not that Conrad Bangkok specifically is good.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:41 pm

I will reiterate for you
Conrad Bangkok always look after us really well
Early check in and very late check out ( once up to 9pm )
Multiple category room upgrades
Fantastic arrival amenities including rose petals on bed, towel swans, fruit cake in room
If ever we have an issue at the hotel management are straight on it and sort it quickly which means a lot to me.
Being a multiple repeat Diamond we feel valued and special being greeted in lounge by name
Complementary breakfast for two and lounge access due to status is the icing on the cake.

We would not get this kind of stay from Novotel or anywhere else in Bangkok for that matter for a similar price
We have stayed at several similar priced hotels in Bangkok at that price and nothing matches the
Conrad Bangkok for the personal service we receive.

Last edited by PaulH1; Apr 30, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.