Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am exploring the possibility of booking this property instead of or in addition to the Millennium Hilton (MH) on an upcoming stay in August.

Note: I loved the MH exec lounge, pool, Chinese restaurant dim sum lunch, and dinner buffet on Lazy Night on a 2015 stay (paid EL stay, no status). Service was generally fantastic. A diamond I met showed me the suite he got an upgrade to.

I am considering trying the Conrad BKK. This tripadvisor review makes it seem as if my compatriots from the US embassy will be entertainment. Breakfast quality, cocktail hour quality, and lounge serenity matter, as does the pool/gym. I am ambivalent on restaurants, as it's freakin' Thailand. Proximity to local restaurants that serve Thai/SE Asian food matters (not interested in Western food that much even at home, moreso at Sukhumvit/Lumphini prices).

This time I am a diamond, for what it matters. I will probably be booking the cheapest available room.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You can't go wrong with Conrad BKK as HH Diamond. It is a very nice lounge (but crowded at times/in the early evening for canapes/drinks)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Should I do Conrad BKK for 40k a night or Hilton Sukmivit (sp?) for 30k? Is the additional 10k a night worth it?

Will travel with two small children (7 &5 ) and wondering which hotel offers a better product for them.

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Good number of discussion threads.

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA}

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ponickka
Should I do Conrad BKK for 40k a night or Hilton Sukmivit (sp?) for 30k? Is the additional 10k a night worth it?

Will travel with two small children (7 &5 ) and wondering which hotel offers a better product for them.

Thanks
Have stayed at both properties (twice each) with children and here is my assessment:

- Rooms are more modern and hard product is newer at the Hilton Sukhumvit. Rooms at the Conrad showing wear and tear.
- Upgrades: Booked 2 rooms at the Hilton and got one upgraded after haggling with HH on twitter. Booked 2 suites at the Conrad to avoid haggling.
- Lounge at the Conrad is at the 29th floor with expansive views of Bangkok. Hilton's lounge is on the 4th floor - both are approximately the same size.
- Food and beverage: Hands down, the food at the Conrad's lounge and 2 floor restaurant is much better than what's offered at the Hilton. Beverage offerings are also better at the Conrad, such Perrier for sparkling water versus Thai product or Badoit at the Hilton.
- Pool: Both are nice - Hilton's small pool is on the top floor overlooking the city while the Conrad's huge pool is on the 7th floor. Conrad has a children playground area on the same floor as shown in photo below.
- Location: Hilton is on Sukhumvit Soi 24 with walking distance to Phrom Phong BTS station, Emporium & EmQuartier shopping, restaurants, massage, etc. Conrad is on Wireless and is conveniently attached to shopping mall with grocery store. Conrad also has a regular shuttle to Phloen Chit BTS station. Using BTS (elevated light monorail) in Bangkok is very essential for a successful visit as most of city will be at your fingertips.

Both are solid properties but overall I prefer the Conrad, and, IMO, the Hilton's location/neighborhood is superior.

See our photo album of the Conrad here:

Hilton Sukhumvit photos are here:

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 13, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:58 am

I ended up booking the Exec Twin room for an upcoming stay. As Diamond, is there a good chance I'll get the Exec Suite Twin as an upgrade?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Dear All,

we are going to BKK for a short visit on our Asian tour. Only 2 days. By location I prefer the Millenium but they have only 1 night out of 2 free. I checked Conrad, this is further out a bit, however, the terrace suite pictures really caught my eyes.

As there are no longer upgrades, I have to book it directly if I want it. Has anyone stayed in that room before? I just suspect it is not as nice as it looks on photos so not worth the extra money for one night. If it were really so cool to have a breakfast up there I would try. So far I found 1 photo of the terrace from a review made by a guest, it didnt look as freshly looking green as on the official hotel photos.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wadge
Dear All,

we are going to BKK for a short visit on our Asian tour. Only 2 days. By location I prefer the Millenium but they have only 1 night out of 2 free. I checked Conrad, this is further out a bit, however, the terrace suite pictures really caught my eyes.

As there are no longer upgrades, I have to book it directly if I want it. Has anyone stayed in that room before? I just suspect it is not as nice as it looks on photos so not worth the extra money for one night. If it were really so cool to have a breakfast up there I would try. So far I found 1 photo of the terrace from a review made by a guest, it didnt look as freshly looking green as on the official hotel photos.
Well, I would always take an "official" photo with a grain of salt, but that said I think some of who have familiarity with this hotel are ambiguous about the terrace suites. Sure nice to have a terrace, but not so nice that folks from the EL can look down on to the terrace in some cases.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:38 am

As there are no longer upgrades,
What do you mean?

Has anyone stayed in that room before? I just suspect it is not as nice as it looks on photos so not worth the extra money for one night. If it were really so cool to have a breakfast up there I would try. So far I found 1 photo of the terrace from a review made by a guest, it didnt look as freshly looking green as on the official hotel photos.
I've been there a couple of times. It's a nice room and something special, not only in Bangkok. How freshly the green looks on a picture depends in the first line on the talent of the photographer. In real the green looks ok, but it's more like the public side than the corgie's side of Buckingham Palace.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Another great stay at Conrad Bangkok as HHD. My first stay (nights) since Aug2017, and I am no longer the regular staying guest I was 3Q2015-1Q207 (40nights plus)

Booked 5nights on points (5th night free) at 36k/night although individually if use flex nights tickbox on day of booking were 36/33/29/29/28K ... So slightly pissed off that charged 4*36k =144k for my 5nights (yes 4ights was also 144k). Acccident or deliberate by Corporate Hilton

Award pricing aside, really great treatment my Conrad Bangkok, modded online midday day before arrival from King Gurest to Exec Suite , did the OLCI which was honoured at 8pm next day(and hotel was sold out first 2x nights of my stay one week out) . even greeted by name as returning guest by frontdesk+loungr staff. Lounge staff member even brought me unasked for glass of sparkling wine 2030 from lounge kitchen when lounge drinks finished at 1930

In fact last stay Aug2017 1nighter only upgraded on paid from King Guest -> Exec Corner. Just too many HH sales in Asia/Thailand

Not sure I like the lounge food as much as 1yr or so ago, seems to have changed, 2/5 nights, I could only eat bread+cheese (i like chicken wings but we never get anymore). However still a nice Sparkling White Wine.
Brealfast in Conrad Bangkok lounge is really peaceful, good chouices/std and even a chef station...but I just have quiet coffee/OJ after grabbing ham breakfast in restaurant as an HHD/HHG

Usual breakfast in restaurant, Ham-off-bone/poahced-aggs/tomatoes/potatoes-hash-browns , then upto lounge for ambience and leisurely coffee/fruit etc. Had smoked Salmon but no propper "Cream Cheese" you really need bring your wn to breakfast in both restaurant/lounge. I am sure it was nicer/Eddible CreamCheese in the past! Have new head chef who moved stuff around... strangely the pastries are miles away from any other b/f food at entrance to restaurant (only spotted by me on day 3of5)

Staff interaction was great, checkin/lounge/room-cleaner/restautrant breakfast staff (seating agents/egg chefs).

all in all a superb stay, looked after as a returning regular (on points nights too), though I suspect first 2x sold out Wed+Thu nights paid to hotel by Hilton Corporate at 95% occupsanc ADR were double my corp rate I usually book. I was just burning my orphaned/remainder HH points balance of 160K is now an ultra low 15k ...as absolutely no point using my points in Europe anymore, eg Hilton Rotterdam Suite jumped from 57k -> 120k/night for Eur300++ room (ouch) as now seems straight 2-3$/1kpoints ratio unlike before for such premium room rewards.

In summary still my 2nd favourite Hilton after Antwerp (Antwerp is another of my original regular Hiltons with nice b/f and some great upgrades including their Royal suite + second best room too)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Have stayed at both properties (twice each) with children and here is my assessment:

- Rooms are more modern and hard product is newer at the Hilton Sukhumvit. Rooms at the Conrad showing wear and tear.
- Upgrades: Booked 2 rooms at the Hilton and got one upgraded after haggling with HH on twitter. Booked 2 suites at the Conrad to avoid haggling.
- Lounge at the Conrad is at the 29th floor with expansive views of Bangkok. Hilton's lounge is on the 4th floor - both are approximately the same size.
- Food and beverage: Hands down, the food at the Conrad's lounge and 2 floor restaurant is much better than what's offered at the Hilton. Beverage offerings are also better at the Conrad, such Perrier for sparkling water versus Thai product or Badoit at the Hilton.
- Pool: Both are nice - Hilton's small pool is on the top floor overlooking the city while the Conrad's huge pool is on the 7th floor. Conrad has a children playground area on the same floor as shown in photo below.
- Location: Hilton is on Sukhumvit Soi 24 with walking distance to Phrom Phong BTS station, Emporium & EmQuartier shopping, restaurants, massage, etc. Conrad is on Wireless and is conveniently attached to shopping mall with grocery store. Conrad also has a regular shuttle to Phloen Chit BTS station. Using BTS (elevated light monorail) in Bangkok is very essential for a successful visit as most of city will be at your fingertips.

Both are solid properties but overall I prefer the Conrad, and, IMO, the Hilton's location/neighborhood is superior.

See our photo album of the Conrad here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57622338162323

Hilton Sukhumvit photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57664838130013
Thank you for your input.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, I would always take an "official" photo with a grain of salt, but that said I think some of who have familiarity with this hotel are ambiguous about the terrace suites. Sure nice to have a terrace, but not so nice that folks from the EL can look down on to the terrace in some cases.
I see, thanks for the info. I had the same impression. It"s not worth the extra penny.

Originally Posted by thbe
What do you mean?

I've been there a couple of times. It's a nice room and something special, not only in Bangkok. How freshly the green looks on a picture depends in the first line on the talent of the photographer. In real the green looks ok, but it's more like the public side than the corgie's side of Buckingham Palace.
I meant you cannot make a booking that would upgrade to this room type straight. They said the max upgrade can be done to the corner suite.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:19 am

I meant you cannot make a booking that would upgrade to this room type straight. They said the max upgrade can be done to the corner suite.
You mean Corner Room? They said that? I think, it's more complicated.
First: There are no guaranteed upgrades with Hilton Honors at all. And officially Hilton Honors upgrades you at check in only.

Beside of that the ways to get an upgrade at Conrad BKK are:
1. You get a basic upgrade before check-in automatically (as DIA i.e. from Corner room to Executive Corner room).
2. You request a NOR1 upgrade (which is cheaper after you got a basic upgrade already as said in 1.).
3. You don't request a NOR1, but you wait to get a better upgrade at check-in.
4. You don't request a NOR1, but you ask for a better upgrade at check-in.

They don't have many Terrace Suites and that kind of suite is quite popular, because it is something special. Other suites have just more space, which most of us won't need. And there are quite a lot of DIAs staying at the Conrad BKK. Plus they have regular guests and being DIA and regular guests brings you on the top of the list of better upgrades.

If they have suites available, they will upgrade their best guests following the list. So there is no max upgrade.

My next two stays within the next two weeks will be in a Terrace Suite. I will check the green for you.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thbe
You mean Corner Room? They said that? I think, it's more complicated.
First: There are no guaranteed upgrades with Hilton Honors at all. And officially Hilton Honors upgrades you at check in only.

Beside of that the ways to get an upgrade at Conrad BKK are:
1. You get a basic upgrade before check-in automatically (as DIA i.e. from Corner room to Executive Corner room).
2. You request a NOR1 upgrade (which is cheaper after you got a basic upgrade already as said in 1.).
ANS:- At Conrad Bangkok, the NOR1 upsell rate does not reduce after eg 1cat HHD/HHG upgrade. Nor1 upsell rate remains identical unless changed since 8months ago.. ie same NOR1 rate upsell from Booked King Guest and later from HHD Exec room foc upograded room. This is now the default behaviour under NOR1, unlike when NOR1 first introduced.
3. You don't request a NOR1, but you wait to get a better upgrade at check-in.
ANS:- Yes if a short stay, max 3nights, preferrably 1night, asking for an unsold Exec suite at checkin can be granted by Receptionists. Here the receprionists don't need historically to get DM's ok to do so ).
4. You don't request a NOR1, but you ask for a better upgrade at check-in.

They don't have many Terrace Suites and that kind of suite is quite popular, because it is something special. Other suites have just more space, which most of us won't need. And there are quite a lot of DIAs staying at the Conrad BKK. Plus they have regular guests and being DIA and regular guests brings you on the top of the list of better upgrades.

If they have suites available, they will upgrade their best guests following the list. So there is no max upgrade.

My next two stays within the next two weeks will be in a Terrace Suite. I will check the green for you.
Also as poster you replied to mentioned, the range of NOR1 upgradeable rooms is limited based on initial room type booked. So if you book only entry level "King guest" then eg you won't be offered NOR1 for Deluxe Suite but are offered NOR1 for Exec Suite (ie Corner Suite)

If initial room booked is Exec then option to try andNOR1 to Deluxe suite exists.

1)4x Terrace Suites, located all on the four corners of floor 28. Lounge is floor 29 and lounge windows+seating overlooks 3of4 Terrace Suites.
(In HH sale, the direct booking rate is only circa 400thb more than if booking my initial room on my low fixed rate Corp Rate and offering to pay NOR1 fee)
Plus my profile here at Conrad Bangkok states
i)Don't upgrade me if I book Terrace Suite
ii)I prefer smaller Exec Suite v Deluxe Suite so happy to forgo Dlx Suite (before I did that I had some Dlx suite upgrades from a King Guest, but now just get max of Exec or Terrace) foc upgrade, and some other HHD gets the Dlx suite upgade instead of me.
iii)That said I once needed Dlx Suite room for a meeting, ticked NOR1 for Exc Suite, added comment saying that if possible I'd like Dlx suite v Exec Suite this visit, and Conrad stasff actually read that comment and gave me the requested Dlx suite I normally don't want
iv)Also possible to ask to upsell versus foc upgrade at checkin. At checkin NOR1 option+rates no longer exist, Conrad Bangkok will sometimes give you upsell for less than full rate difference, whereas some other Hiltons will only upsell at full difference once NOR1 offers lapse for your stay.
(Only time I had to do that here,extending a stay +1night, staff had me book King Guest and Upsell to keep terrace suite for a 5th night.... I could possibly have got to keep foc by booking base room but as a regular, I did not want to be greedy/perceived-badly and I believe such fairnes/honesty gets rewarded on later stays )

2)The Exec (x7) and deluxe (x5) Suites occupy the corners plus more space, and thus eat into the supply of what could otherwise be Exec Corner rooms as do Terrace Suites. In fact I think only a further 7x Corner Exec Rooms (non suites) available. (plus the Deluxe Corner rooms on low floors... not made into Exec or dlx suites)

3)Conrad Bangkok suffers from a very heavy HHD presence. Even if not 100% soldout busy, and no Exec/Terrace/Dlx suites booked, there are more HHDs per night than Suites and that was before the HHD free matches started 24months ago increasing number of HHDs here.

4)Unless Conrad Bangkok is soldout/almost-soldout, I have found (even as a well treated regular here) my reservations are only modded with hhd-elite/nor1 upgrade after 8am on day of my checkin.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

With 6 Passengert (4 adult and 2 kid), what is the best way to get to this hotel? Arriving at 3PM on a Tuesday and 1st timer in BKK for all of us.

Got a quote from some online travel site for $35 USD ( which comes out to $1100 BHT) for a private Van up to 10 pax. Should I go with this or use public/taxi?

Thanks
Kalboz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.