Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Satisfaction Guarantee.... accept less?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways SP, AAdvanage, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, more to come

I called up HHonors Diamond desk about the satisfaction guarantee for horrible service at a HGI in Mississauga Ontario. Had 2 rooms, totalling over $950US ($1100ish CDN) over 4-5nights. They sent HHonors the stay info, showing a "zero dollar stay", and the service was horrible. Creamers would be left outside (and when the front desk was called they'd say "well you shouldve put them in the fridge), harrassment, etc. For the creamers, they were told everyday when the creamers would be put into the coffe...

Long story short, the manager called and apologized and asked "how can I make it upto you?"

I said "well you could honor the satisfaction guarantee"
She says "Well the best I could do is send you a voucher for one night free at our hotel".

So, should I call HHonors back and ask for the guarantee enforced since the hotel wouldnt do it? Minus one night since she said she sent the voucher (which still hasnt arrived after 3 weeks)?
Suggestions would be great.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by mwarrior
...should I call HHonors back and ask for the guarantee enforced since the hotel wouldnt do it?...Suggestions would be great.
Not sure about the rules (written or unwritten) about the guarantee, but the description that you provided about your stay do not sound like sufficient reason to be too upset. I assume that many more horrible things happened while you were there? Bad coffee doesn't sound like it's worth more than the free certificate that is supposedly "on it's way." Perhaps they should have just taken off one night's stay rather than giving you back a certificate though (just what you want -- more bad service at a location that didn't live up to it's promise the first time).

Bottom line is that to make any suggestions I'd need to hear more about what went wrong.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways SP, AAdvanage, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, more to come
Well it was a combination of things. Those were the main things taht bugged me. Also the fax in the business center not working, the remote printing not working (both of which I needed and was charged $3 by the front desk to have them send the fax). Also if we invited anybody over while seeing them out the people at the desk woudl be counting the number of people quite loudly and then asking how mny people were staying in the rooms.

Also the room service sending up cold steak didnt help. And the coffee is something we preferred in the room rather than going to the front desk everytime. The excuse I got from the manager was "we are working on changing manufacturers, it should have been ok". However the front desk said "it MUST be kept in the fridge". Its kind of curious that the creamers in the room were bad, but the ones we got from the front desk or the restaurant (same manufacturer, and the restaurant ones were kept outside beside the milk) were not bad.

As for the inconveniences, if I had known I'd have all those problems I would have stayed at the Oakville HGI or something again, it was the same price but the service was amazing and I was only silver when I stayed there, Diamond when I stayed at the Mississauga one, but the service wasnt even one tenth of the Oakville one.

If it was just me staying I wouldnt have minded. However it was me, my parents, and a couple of family friends who were visiting from out of town, so I had 2 rooms and by the time we checked out everybody had asked "where did you find this place?? thats the worst service i've ever seen".

That help?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
Lightbulb re: Satisfaction Guarantee.... accept less?

I've always stayed at the HGI Mississauga when working at the ford plant. I've always had good luck there but that has been about 2 years now since last stay.

I agree the hotel needs to be responsible for the fact that the fax in the business center and the remote printing was not working. These are both services that the hotel offered when you booked the hotel rooms and should be working when you get there or at least by the second day. I've stayed at many HGIs and HIs that advertise internet service, fax service, and remote printing that did not work at check in. I'm accepting if the hotel is working on it and I see proof of this. If by the second day the internet service, which is what I look for in a room, is not working I expect the hotel to help me find another hotel with internet access if I'm not able to find one.

I think the hotels that offer you a free stay certificate are wrong when the guarantee is "if you are not 100% satisfied, we don't expect you to pay."
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:09 pm

Does the 100% satisfaction guarantee apply at all brands of hotels in the Hilton family, or just Hampton Inns?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by hhonorman
Does the 100% satisfaction guarantee apply at all brands of hotels in the Hilton family, or just Hampton Inns?
From what has been discussed in other threads, the 100 percent guarantee is a holdover from the Promus hotels. When Hilton bought them out, the guarantee remained in force.

In addition to HI, the former Promus brands (where the 100 percent guarantee still exists) are DT and ES. HGI, not being a former Promus brand, does not have such a guarantee.

Mike

Last edited by nako; Oct 14, 2005 at 1:09 am
Old Oct 14, 2005, 6:23 am

As for the inconveniences, if I had known I'd have all those problems I would have stayed at the Oakville HGI or something again, it was the same price but the service was amazing and I was only silver when I stayed there, Diamond when I stayed at the Mississauga one, but the service wasnt even one tenth of the Oakville one.
I have never stayed at the Mississauga HGI, but have stayed several times at the Oakville HGI, actually right on the Oakville, Mississauga Border at Winston Churchill, the West side of the street is Oakville, the east side is Mississauga.
The Oakville HGI, is a very nice property with wonderful staff, and nice bright rooms, It is close to the QEW for getting into Toronto or west toward Niagara Falls, it is also easy to get anywhere in Mississauga as it is also near the 403.
Sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the HGI Mississauga.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by oosillyoo
I've always stayed at the HGI Mississauga when working at the ford plant. I've always had good luck there but that has been about 2 years now since last stay.
Just thought I'd mention the HGI Oakville is now the closest one to the Ford Plant. Many people think it is Mississauga, as Winston Churchill is the Oakville/Mississauga Boundary.

THE HGI Mississauga, is near Hurontario Street(Hwy 10) and the 401. It is 17 miles to the ford plant. Perhaps when you stayed there 2 years ago the HGI Oakville was not open.

The HGI Oakville is just west of Winston Churchill, south of the QEW.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It is my understanding that HGI does not have 100% satisfaction guarantee like HI's. I have to say, however, that when I called the front desk one morning, around 5AM, when the fire alarm had went off, to inquire what was going on, they offered to comp the room for the night.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, the HGI (and the other non-Promus HH hotels) do not have the nice 100% guarantee. I once had mucho problems (more than dirty old creamers) with a HGI, took it up that AM with the hotels GM and he comped the room. It is best to do this promptly.

If the OP feels very strong about not receiving his moneys worth, he can call his credit card company and dispute the hotel charge. If the cc company agrees with you after they hear your and the hotels story, they will remove the charge.

MisterNice
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by nako
From what has been discussed in other threads, the 100 percent guarantee is a holdover from the Promus hotels. When Hilton bought them out, the guarantee remained in force.

In addition to HI, the former Promus brands (where the 100 percent guarantee still exists) are DT and ES. HGI, not being a former Promus brand, does not have such a guarantee.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Does that mean that all HGI, Hilton, Conrad, and Scandic DO NOT have the guarantee? I assume that even if that is correct, there may be some individual properties that choose to have the guarantee, but I was more interested in the general rule.

Last edited by hhonorman; Oct 14, 2005 at 9:33 am
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Margk
Just thought I'd mention the HGI Oakville is now the closest one to the Ford Plant. Many people think it is Mississauga, as Winston Churchill is the Oakville/Mississauga Boundary.

THE HGI Mississauga, is near Hurontario Street(Hwy 10) and the 401. It is 17 miles to the ford plant. Perhaps when you stayed there 2 years ago the HGI Oakville was not open.

The HGI Oakville is just west of Winston Churchill, south of the QEW.
Thanks for the info, I just realised it was the HGI Oakville I stayed at when I was there not the Mississauga. The Oakville HGI is a very nice hotel and will stay there next time my jobs takes me to that area.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:53 am
Original Poster

The Oakville HGI is where I went back to when I was back in the area a week later, and being Diamond this time they gave me a nice suite. And as Margk stated, yes both the staff and rooms are absolutely wonderful. I'll see what Hilton says and talk to the CC company though.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by hhonorman
Thanks Mike. Does that mean that all HGI, Hilton, Conrad, and Scandic DO NOT have the guarantee? I assume that even if that is correct, there may be some individual properties that choose to have the guarantee, but I was more interested in the general rule.
There may be hotels in these brands that have taken it upon themselves to institute such a policy on their own, but it is by no means a brand policy for any of these. Unless this particular HGI has instituted their own 100 percent guarantee (which it doesn't sound as if they have), the OP is trying to invoke a rule that does not exist for HGI.

Mike
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
...the manager called and apologized and asked "how can I make it upto you?...
Unfortunately, without any guarantee, it sounds like it is up to the hotel manager to use his discretion in resolving this issue.

The bottom line for most complaints is that the local hotel is responsible for making amends. Thus, complaints put to Hilton or HHonors normally get fed back down to the local manager who will contact you if you complain.

This one sounds like it depends on how upset you were/are. Sounds like a lot of little things that added up to a bad stay, so you are going to have to make your case with the manager about how his staff failed to meet your expectations. If the free certificate doesn't suit you, I agree with the credit card complaint, but only after the manager refuses any further concessions.

I would have another talk with the manager, or maybe list out your complaints on paper and fax them to him, with specific requests of what he could do to resolve your unhappiness. FYI, he’ll do more for you if he thinks you are coming back at some point in the future; if you say that you’ll never stay there again you might as well just go to the credit card company and ask for a refund. You are going to have to make your case to one or the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.