Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort {MEX} (no longer Honors)

Old Dec 13, 99, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Stayed at the new Hilton Beach and Golf Resort in Cancun?

It used to be a Caesars Park (Starwood), but I guess Hilton bought it or something.

I was wondering how the standard rooms are and if you get any special benefits for HHonors.

In particular, any AMEX Platinum holders out there who have stayed there: (it's a Fine Hotels and Resorts property)

1) Did you get an upgrade?
2) If so, where to?
3) How was the complimentary breakfast that you get?

Thanks!!
Old Dec 14, 99, 5:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
tute -- if you're looking to go there on spring break, (just an assumption here) the Hilton (former Ceaser Park) is pretty far out from all the night life action. I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency several time for spring break and all the hot spots are within walking distance. Two other times, I've rented condos for the week, which were further away, but we then rented a jeep for the week ($300). There's a Wal-Mart to pick some groceries, out by the bull fighting arena. If you have any other ?'s about cun, let me know, I'll give you the run down.
Old Dec 15, 99, 1:18 am

The Hyatt in Cancun is great! It also has excellent restaurants...though I'm not sure how reasonable it is, even with the exchange rate.
Old Dec 15, 99, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

I have been to Cancun before, back in March, but I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. Their rates for the millennium (when I am going) were outrageous, and still are when I checked today.

It is a 4 diamond or whatever they use now hotel, so it should be nice.
Old Dec 15, 99, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed at the Caesars last spring break on a Starwood free week. I was automatically upgraded to a large room with a 40 square foot private patio one floor from the top.

I rented a car and for a day a moped to get around. I liked the fact that it's a ways from the action. All those drunken teenagers are to be avoided.
Old Nov 9, 00, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Bringing this topic forward to see if anyone has any recent experience with this property. How does it compare to the Ritz and the Hyatt Caribe?
Old Feb 22, 01, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75
Just spent a week at the Hilton Cancun. I was very impressed and surprised since it far outclasses any Hilton I've ever stayed at. Was on their "Club Level" called Beach Club--one of 5 separate buildings with dedicated check-in and lounge. Excellent free drinks each pm. Beautiful pools right on the beach. Service was outstanding. All this without any special status (although I do have a gold card) or without using my Amex platinum.
Old Jul 7, 01, 1:03 pm

Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort

I'm thinking about burning some points next winter at the Hilton Cancun Beach & Golf Resort. Any advice, tips or reviews of this property? Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by cethen (edited 07-08-2001).]
Old Jul 7, 01, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
I'd like to hear some as well.

Anyone reading this post been to this Cancun resort?
Old Jul 7, 01, 11:05 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
It is one of the best in Cancun. The beach is better there also.
Old Jul 8, 01, 9:25 am

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Cancun last Thanksgiving. The common areas of the property are really nice, and the staff were very attentive and friendly. My daughters loved the pools, and the beach is also pretty nice. The Cancun sand is fantastic. The rooms we had were very comfortable, but not extraordinary.

As a Gold HHonors member, we received free continental breakfast downstairs, which could also be applied as a credit for more elaborate breakfasts. I really enjoyed these breakfasts. They had several unusual juices each morning--some with fruit I've never even heard of, but all good.

The property is pretty remote from all the action on the island. This is a pain or a plus, depending on your perspective. We stayed on the property during the day, but usually ventured out for dinner. We took the bus to get around, which was cheap and OK, though my mom and kids got a little tired of walking from the lobby to the bus stop. On the return trip, you have to be a little cautious getting across the road as there isn't an obvious crosswalk or path back.

Cancun has many incredible places to stay, but I'd put the Hilton in the top 10 for sure. If you have the points, I'd say this would be a good choice.

If you're not set on Cancun, you might want to rent a car and stay in one of the towns to the south. Playa del Carmen and the rest have great beaches on a more manageable scale.
Old Jul 9, 01, 10:20 am

cethen,
I stayed there about two years ago when it was a Westin Property. Excellent, regardless of the fact that it is necessary to ride the bus to the center of things, although the bus is no hassle and very cheap as well as 10-15 minute ride with stops to the center of things. The property is beautiful, the beach excellent and the seven pools all connecting with bridges and waterfalls are great. Plenty of room for privacy around the pool area as it is so big. The room was nicely appointed. I would definitely recommend it and plan on staying there again the next time I go to Cancun. For some reason, though, I wish it was still a Westin property as I think they are a "notch" better than Hiltons.
Old Jul 9, 01, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

I stayed at this hotel for the millennium and it was great. All of the employees were very kind and helpful, the pool area was beautiful, and the beach was great.

If you plan on eating breakfast and don't have any status, I reccomend buying the Hilton meal plan, which can be used for any meal at the hotel. We just used them for breakfast and saved a bundle that way. BTW, the breakfast buffet was great!!

The hotel doesn't have an executive floor, but they do have the villas that have an executive lounge. I think the main building is better as you get a better view of the ocean and are right in with the action of the hotel.

The regular rooms are good - nothing outstanding though. The one thing that did bother me was that the floors were tiled and not carpeted, but otherwise, they were fine. (In Cancun, you should not spend a lot of time in your room!!)

I stayed at this hotel in my second trip to Cancun - the first time I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. Although in many cases there is no comparison, this hotel was excellent compared to the Ritz and was more geared toward families on vacation.

I say redeem the points!!
Old Jul 10, 01, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred
Tute84, could you eloborate on the meal plan? I have an award stay planned for Jan. and I'd like to understand how the plan works....costs, options, etc.

I'd also like to get a feel for how much they might charge to upgrade to a villa on an award stay, assuming it's available. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 10, 01, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

All I remember from the meal plan was that it cost US$99 for a certain number of coupons, and there is a set number of coupons to be used for each meal in each restaurant at the hotel. When the coupons are used, it includes everything in the meal - appetizer, drink, main course, and dessert.

We wanted to upgrade to the villas, and they wanted to charge us US$80 per room, per night. We opted to do it, and then saw the rooms (looked out to a small garden, we wanted ocean view), and then downgraded back to regular rooms.

Search this Thread