Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort {MEX} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort {MEX} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Flyertalk

Originally Posted by LemonThrower
sorry if this is a dumb question, but how did they know you were a flyertalker if you didn't tell them?
Dear LemonThrower:

I assume you are directing this question to me since I mentioned in my original post that I rec'd a note from the GM mentioning that I he liked to keep his "Flyertalk" folks happy.

Not a dumb question at all...I asked him the same thing. He said it was easy. He just put in the city where I live (got that from my post) and the dates I had planned on being there (Feb 10-20) and came up with my reservation! And, I ALWAYS sign my name in any of my posts so I suspect it wasn't that difficult. I was impressed though.

Dawn
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:00 pm

Question I have seen the many hands loaded at WDW

No, I am not one of those that take all the food from the lounges. I just wanted to feel comfortable enough to take my one drink of water, soda or beer and find solitude at the beach or the pool. I have seen many of poeple grab all the water and juices from the Ploynesian concierge lounge. It was a horrible sight. The people there didn't say one word, they are always smiling at Disney.
Anyway, can i book a jr suite and pay for the villa lounge services? I say Dawn's beautiful pics of the jr suite and i defintely prefer the jacuzzi on the balcony. Thanks for your input, CJ
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I assume you are directing this question to me since I mentioned in my original post that I rec'd a note from the GM mentioning that I he liked to keep his "Flyertalk" folks happy.

Not a dumb question at all...I asked him the same thing. He said it was easy. He just put in the city where I live (got that from my post) and the dates I had planned on being there (Feb 10-20) and came up with my reservation! And, I ALWAYS sign my name in any of my posts so I suspect it wasn't that difficult. I was impressed though.
I have a combination paid/award stay coming up there next February. Maybe I should try the same thing.

Mike
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:51 pm

Just got back today after staying in a villa for 4 nights.
I've never had a better experience. If you're on your honeymoon, go for the upgrade.

There were 3 levels of villas and garden and ocean views. The ocean view was amazing, hard to even put into words.

The service there was great too. Probably the best I've ever seen.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Try what?

Originally Posted by nako
I have a combination paid/award stay coming up there next February. Maybe I should try the same thing.

Mike
Dear Nako....what do you mean, "maybe I should try the same thing"? I'm not sure what that refers to. I posted some questions on Flyertalk asking for information and GM read it, w/out me knowing. It truly was my husband's birthday (2/16). I wasn't dealing with the GM when I sent an email, just an email that I obtained from the flyertalk board (found out later, it was not the GM).

Fortunately for me, or for the folks that visit this place, the GM watches this board! Really cool, if you ask me.

By the way, my stay was paid. I don't know if it matters if you use points or not.

You will LOVE this property....one of our favorites so far.

Dawn
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately for nako, the word "naco" (ponounced the same way) has negative connotations in Mexico - basically, it means a yob, or ocker or uncouth person, like "trailer trash... If Hilton Cancún GM sees a "naco" is planning to stay there soon, nako may find himself relegated to the pool pumphouse... or walked.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Got all excited about this hotel and checked it out...until I saw it was Category 6 at a pop of "only" 40,000 points per night...ouch. I always had the image of Cancun being a very cheap spring break rowdy place; this is the reason I got excited reading the reviews here thinking I could maybe get this one for a Category 3 spending level...oh well, it will have to wait for a while....Just wondering, did not see Point Stretchers, does this hotel do them
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 2P; AAGold;HHonors Diamond
Your right... the rest of Cancun does not seem to be in the swank Cat 6 level, but this hotel on its own is great. Too bad the hotel isn't in a more secluded and less touristy place... say playa del carmen or somewhere a little further into the Mayan Riviera.

Oh well, still had a great time and would definitely go back!
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:48 am

that's kind of funny about the unintended perception of the name Nako.

Makes me want to change my name. I am actually named after someone who threw a lemon at college fooball coach Steve Spurrier in 1999, who himself is quite a sourpuss. (his team's fans were disappointed because they were relegated to the Citrus bowl).

I post on investment boards too and people always think I'm a professional short seller because of my name.

I think some of the people on these boards think I'm some sort of mystery shopper professional critic.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately for nako, the word "naco" (ponounced the same way) has negative connotations in Mexico - basically, it means a yob, or ocker or uncouth person, like "trailer trash... If Hilton Cancún GM sees a "naco" is planning to stay there soon, nako may find himself relegated to the pool pumphouse... or walked.
Hey, sometimes the truth hurts.

My name (nako) is actually a nickname I got when I was about 17 or so - it's a derivative of my last name. When I got my first university e-mail account way back in 1993, I chose that as my login, and I've tried to do that anywhere I have to log in ever since.

Dear Nako....what do you mean, "maybe I should try the same thing"?
I simply meant that I should post details of my stay as I get closer to see what happens. I actually intend on e-mailing them beforehand, if only to ensure that I don't have to switch rooms between the paid stay (the first three nights) and the award stay (the last one).

Mike

Last edited by nako; Aug 5, 2005 at 11:08 am
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Got all excited about this hotel and checked it out...until I saw it was Category 6 at a pop of "only" 40,000 points per night...ouch. I always had the image of Cancun being a very cheap spring break rowdy place; this is the reason I got excited reading the reviews here thinking I could maybe get this one for a Category 3 spending level...oh well, it will have to wait for a while....Just wondering, did not see Point Stretchers, does this hotel do them
You can use a 6 night VIP award for 175,000 points (GLONP2, iirc) or that new HHonors AMEX card holder award AXON (4 nights for 125,000 points).

PS are unlikely imo, but maybe in hurricane season they are avialable.

Last edited by OB one; Aug 5, 2005 at 11:55 am
Old Aug 7, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
35th Anniversary

Thanks for the wonderful report! My husband and I will be at the Cancun Hilton for our 35th anniversary Aug. 18th. Rewards were sold out but the Diamond Desk was able to get us a room, and thankfully so, after reading how wonderful this hotel is. I sometimes think that my hubby was born in the sea, as much as he loves the beach. We are really looking forward to digging our toes into the sand.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:41 pm

Has anyone stayed at this hotel over Christmas? Wondered how crowded it gets and the temp? Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2005, 3:26 pm

Cancun Hilton at Christmas time?

I have done a search and read many good reviews of this hotel, but I am looking for someone who has stayed here over Christmas time. How crowded was it? Did you get an upgrade? Do Diamonds always get access to lounge? What was the temp? Are there water sports rentals close by? Is this a fairly active hotel/lobby/beach/pool area, or more quiet area? Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, Million Air
Smile Watch out for the alligators!

Originally Posted by adgtravel
I have done a search and read many good reviews of this hotel, but I am looking for someone who has stayed here over Christmas time. How crowded was it? Did you get an upgrade? Do Diamonds always get access to lounge? What was the temp? Are there water sports rentals close by? Is this a fairly active hotel/lobby/beach/pool area, or more quiet area? Thanks

I went their on my 25th (silver) anniversary. Just before Christmas, weather was perfect! Service was awsome! Beach was outstanding! When I check in they had already Upgraded us into elite floor and room. Beautiful View! Complete free breakfast everyday, I was there 6 days. Plus large discounts on other property restaurants. This is a Beautiful property on Hotel Zone "only one " with 18 hole golf course. When we were their it was pleasantly balance between quiet and busy. But don't swim in the lagoon! I would go back we had a blast!!! Have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.