Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort {MEX} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Cancun Golf & Spa Resort {MEX} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P; AAGold;HHonors Diamond
I've been watching coverage of Emily on The Weather Channel this evening, and they are broadcasting live shots from the JW Marriot, which is where we spent the other two nights of our vacation. It's kind of errie to see the wind howling there! I hope this storm continues to weaken...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeremyG5
Just booked a villa there for the end of July. Anyone have any villa experience there?
We stayed in the villas last year. They were very nice. Small balcony with a view of the ocean. Large, comfortable room. Close to the lounge, pools.

My only complaint was that the ice machine in our building was out of order the whole time we were there, so we had to get our ice from the next building over.

Oh, and try not to get eaten by a large iguana on your way to the pool!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Jr Suite vs. Villa

We'll take a Jr. Suite anyday over the Villa. For us, the two-room makes all the difference in the world. If you both get up and go to bed at the same time, and could care less about having a living room, then the Villa would be great.

For us, we have different sleeping patterns (I'm in bed earlier, and get up earlier). I could close the doors between the bedroom and living room and not disturb my husband. I made my coffee, went out to the HUGE balcony and just had my morning time, all while my husband slept peacefully in the bed room. Plus there was a nice dining area....a four top, where we would sit and plan the day, and sometimes have a beer or whatever. The living room area was great and there was a nice tv in there as well.

For folks that really want to walk out into the sand, then the Villa may be better for you.

Actually, ANYWHERE at this resort is FABULOUS!!!!!

Dawn
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:54 am
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Originally Posted by kedcr22

Hotel Arrival: Took the green line shuttle ($9 per person) with Mrs. kedcr22 from the airport
Do you (or anyone else) know the operating times for the shuttle? I have a flight that gets in at 11:20pm. Does the shuttle run that late? I'd prefer not to have to take a taxi at midnight, in Mexico, in a city I have never been to.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by da_guy
Do you (or anyone else) know the operating times for the shuttle? I have a flight that gets in at 11:20pm. Does the shuttle run that late? I'd prefer not to have to take a taxi at midnight, in Mexico, in a city I have never been to.
You might want to contact the hotel in advance and see if they have a suggested service that you can schedule in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by MBM3
You might want to contact the hotel in advance and see if they have a suggested service that you can schedule in advance.
So I guess that means the hotel doesn't have a free shuttle?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyG5
So I guess that means the hotel doesn't have a free shuttle?
Individual hotels can't operate free shuttles from the airport. The municipality restricts licenses in order to preserve jobs for taxi drivers. Buses and taxis are safe and readily available - they know when all the flights come in.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P; AAGold;HHonors Diamond
I don't know how late the green line operates, but taxis from the airport are ~$40 to the hotel zone (but ironically only about $25 the way back since that fare is not regulated). Taxis picking up at the airport will be safe.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Quintana Roo has what is known as a "taxi mafia" there; they are very protective (i.e. they have politicians in their pocket,) and shuttles are normally not allowed to pick up at CUN or CZM - you must use the "authorized" shuttles or taxis, period, purchasing tickets from central kiosks.

(Unfortunately, the state is one of the most corrupt... the Cancún municipal employees have been agitating for years because of low wages, sudden declarations of "there's no money to pay anyone," etc. The cops are known to put the "bite" on the occasional tourist as well.)

This doesn't mean it is unsafe, as tourism is the life blood of the area - but it does mean some monopolistic practices, service "peculiarities", etc. (But definitely avoid anything to do with officialdumb there.)
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:39 pm

Smile really needed to read those reviews

Hi,
I am planning my 15th Anniversary and really needed to red reviews from experienced travelers vs. spring breakers.

I am considering getting a villa in oct. Are all of them on the ground floor and can you take food ro drinks our of the lounge area? I read some where that the JW Marriot doesn't allow food/dringks to be reomoved from the lounge? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks CJ
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by cjmx50
Hi,
I am planning my 15th Anniversary and really needed to red reviews from experienced travelers vs. spring breakers.

I am considering getting a villa in oct. Are all of them on the ground floor and can you take food ro drinks our of the lounge area? I read some where that the JW Marriot doesn't allow food/dringks to be reomoved from the lounge? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks CJ
Can't comment on the Cancun lounge, but most lounges discourage you from taking food/drink from the lounge. Some are adamant about it but most turn a blind eye if you walk out with a cup of coffee and an apple. Loading up with a day's groceries will be frowned upon and likely not allowed. Of course, if there are no seats left, they may totally look the other way if you bring your breakfast back to your room, but still one can't empty the hors doevre's tray into tupperware and take it to a private party.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by cjmx50
Hi,
Are all of them on the ground floor and can you take food ro drinks our of the lounge area?
Several villas choices exist. "Gardenview" villas are recessed back from the beach a little bit. Rooms can be on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd floor. Partial oceanviews on the 2nd and 3rd floor villas. "Oceanfront" villas are right on the beach. Rooms can be on 1st or 2nd floors. The oceanfronts cost a little more than the gardenviews. However both options are somewhat exclusive/private and include lounge access.

The previous poster was right on with respect to food and beverage policy. Grabbing a coke, bottle of water, or a couple of cookies to go is not a problem. But if you really want to eat in your room, then purchase a room in the main tower and spend the money you save on the lower room rate on room service.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:28 am

sorry if this is a dumb question, but how did they know you were a flyertalker if you didn't tell them?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
My recollection of the lounge by villas was that there was a nice patio outside where you could have your snacks and drinks on nicer days. I think this was better than trudging from lounge to room loaded (well not that kind of loaded ).

Negra Modelo is one of my favorite beers anywhere and Hilton Cancun lounge always had lots for me during our last visit. Seems to go best in Mexico though!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In response to the OP, most properties will demonstrate some aggravation at raiding the lounge - the reason for some lounges banning children. If the lounge is overcrwoded, they wil usualy be more lenient about brealkfast (Hilton GUam is one classic - very crowded if you do not go early!)

BlondeBomber, if you like Negra Modelo, ask for a Montejo Oscura. Montejo is a very localized beer (brewed in Mérida, like I think Leon Negra is.) And ask for a Nochebuena around Christmastime.

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
My recollection of the lounge by villas was that there was a nice patio outside where you could have your snacks and drinks on nicer days. I think this was better than trudging from lounge to room loaded (well not that kind of loaded ).

Negra Modelo is one of my favorite beers anywhere and Hilton Cancun lounge always had lots for me during our last visit. Seems to go best in Mexico though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.