Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Increase in award 'cost' coming soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:30 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Recently did a HGVC presentation for 20k HH points, and the guy suggested that the cost of GLON / ALON awards is soon to increase to 250k.

Given that he was trying to convince me that HGVC points were worth so much more than my HH points sat in my account, I would take this with a pinch of salt.

However, year end is approaching soon, and therefore I'm going to secure any forthcoming rewards that I think I will do now, as you can always recredit the points.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Not again!

It seems like just yesterday they increased from 100K to 150/175K.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:01 am

HHonors has always given ample notice when they will raise their award level.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Awards all went up quite a bit in general only a year or so back.

I can't believe they'll change things so soon.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tim_T
Recently did a HGVC presentation for 20k HH points, and the guy suggested that the cost of GLON / ALON awards is soon to increase to 250k.

Given that he was trying to convince me that HGVC points were worth so much more than my HH points sat in my account, I would take this with a pinch of salt.

However, year end is approaching soon, and therefore I'm going to secure any forthcoming rewards that I think I will do now, as you can always recredit the points.
Great idea but in concept only
Award certs are no longer issued without a corresponding reservation, change the reservation new cert.. oops new point structure

On the other hand does anybody here really believe that people running the timeshares promos have any clue regarding the point structure for the HH program???

mike
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:57 am

I understand the gate for earnng award stays inflating during a time that earning opportunities were inflating, as was the case 3-5 years ago (e.g, quarterly profile update bonuses...). But the opportunity for earning points now is nowhere near what it was then, so it would be interesting to hear the justification.

But what evidence is there for this, and why are we speculating?
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:04 am
Suspended

]Recently did a HGVC presentation for 20k HH points, and the guy suggested that the cost of GLON / ALON awards is soon to increase to 250k.

We have 14000 HGVC points (resale market) and have attended numerous of their sales presentations. My experience is if a HGVC salespersons' lips are moving they are usually lying.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Every year there is a readjustment of point value. Comes in different forms:

1. Change in value of the awards, removal of some awards...
2. Change in the category of some properties.
3. Less/more bonuses

It is a moving target. Enjoy your points when you see the right value. The rest is in HH's hands...

Also, don't listen to some romours that comes from someone who is not always informed or, even worst, as some gain in misinforming you.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
ah yes the hardball sales pitch

Sounds like the salesman was making the point that HHonors points devalue. Therefore the hgvc points he is selling are worth more. If you pay his price for the hgvc points and then resell them 6 months later they will be worth half if you are lucky. what a con job.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Award certs are no longer issued without a corresponding reservation, change the reservation new cert.. oops new point structure
Hmmm. I've got 4 C601 certs. I have reservations to use them, but I got the certs before I had even made the plans.

I have reservations with no award certs, and they had no problem making them with the understanding I would get the certs later.

So this can't be entirely true.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:38 pm

biglar that is correct anyone can order a normal award online without the res. you just need to know who is using the award as that cannot be changed without redepositiong and re ordering.
I usually order the reservation then order the award very close to the date of travel.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Please don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that it was a HGVC guy trying (and failing) to sell me something.

However, I've been around FT long enough to know how valuable any hint of change to a program can be. I've just received two offers from partner airlines offering gold membership + a stack of points. Again, HH seam to be handing out status and points like candy, and this tends to results in award adjustment at a latter date.

I know I will be taking two 6 night awards next year, and have already penciled in the dates. I'm not going to hang around booking the res and rewards - just in case by some miracle, the HGVC was telling the truth.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
They may be going up, but 200 & 250 do not work. If a level 6 is 40,000 what are they going to move it up to, 60,000 I can not see them going anywhere near that high. I have to agree with other posters they do give quite a bit of notice when awards are going up. Let alone up 75%.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For all you FTers out there, if you believe what wonder-words salesmens say, then I have a wonderful bridge (near NYC) I will sell you at a bargain FT discount. Double discounts for any FTer having over 100 posts and triple discounts of you ever bought a time share.

MisterNice
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BigLar
Hmmm. I've got 4 C601 certs. I have reservations to use them, but I got the certs before I had even made the plans.

I have reservations with no award certs, and they had no problem making them with the understanding I would get the certs later.

So this can't be entirely true.
I have just this weekend printed out several certs without correspodning reservations and/or made reservations without corresponding award certs. No problems in any regard with check-in or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.