Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I called the Palmer House and asked to speak to the pre-arrival coordinator. They told me there was no such thing. After being transferred around a couple more times, the reservations agent did put in a request for an upgrade (pool table suite). Let's see if this works as a Diamond.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Travel Guru:
However, last month, I stayed for the first time at the Chicago Hilton, about 2 miles away on S. Michigan Ave., and it was great! I heard that the rooms are a little larger than the Palmer House, but the lobby and the ballrooms are very luxurious. By the way, I only paid $125/night. I highly recommend the Chicago Hilton.</font>
As a Gold, I had a very small room, but on the flip side, it was the best night's sleep I've had in years. Since I was there to museum hop, I really did not care about the room size, but really enjoyed it being close to the "El" train as well as the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and other locations (the bus to them runs right in front of the hotel, or it is a short walk).

The restaurants are great. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and the appetizer plate at Kitty O'Sheas pub will keep you and a friend full all day. :-)

I paid $75 for a Friday night stay in mid-January booked at www.hilton.com.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited 04-18-2003).]
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:17 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Just returned from a $99 Sunday night stay. I didn't request anything in advance or mention my status (GOLD) to the agent. I went to the HHonors check in section, was provided a room on the 21st floor (all rooms were marked as HHonors rooms - not particularly luxurious rooms, but acceptable for a big city), was provided 2 cards - one for free h'orderves at the restaurant, and one for free american breakfast at the restaurant (I was allowed - actually encouraged - to redeem for the buffett). The cards were given because the executive lounge was closed for remodeling.

Anyhow, not too bad for $99.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:44 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
There were two numbers that were on a letter I recieved when I arrived.
Accomodation Request Line -
(312) 726-7500 (Option #2)
Call Ahead Program
(312) 422-1834

or

[email protected]

Old Apr 23, 2003, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

Ok, this got my full attention:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
I called the Palmer House and asked to speak to the pre-arrival coordinator. They told me there was no such thing. After being transferred around a couple more times, the reservations agent did put in a request for an upgrade (pool table suite). Let's see if this works as a Diamond.</font>
Can anyone confirm if the pre-arrival coordinator position is gone?

Thanks in advance.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Last time (February 2003) I was at the Palmer House, I did get a bit of attitude. I am Hilton Gold, and upon checkin was given the "we don't upgrade cheap rates" reply.

I've never understood this, although US-based hotels seem to relish in doing this to their elites.

I got a very small room on 22, which is an executive floor (although 23 is more desirable as an elevator is not needed to access the lounge).

Hilton needs to make a decision about what is more important: booked rate or elite level. My Hyatt stays seem to value my elite level regardless of the booked rate, and I am moving my business toward Hyatt.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Wanna stay at the Palmer House May 12-17?

Months ago I made a PointStretcher res at the Palmer, but now I don't need 2 go 2 Chicago. Award rooms are no longer available, so I hereby offer to put your name on the res in place of mine if you need &gt;=3 of those nights. 20K points a night .
Money-paid price, double occ. = US$224 + $34 tax per night.
Cross-posted in CC .

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old May 9, 2003, 3:38 pm

A Funny Thing Happened to me at the Palmer House

The Palmer House Hilton

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Palmer House Hilton

17 E Monroe St Chicago, IL US 60603

A Funny Thing Happened to me at the Palmer House (0 Photo)

The Palmer House Hilton

I booked online and reserved a 21 day advanced rate for 1 night. I am a Diamond. I booked the cheapest room available. A couple days before my stay, the pre-arrivals coordinator emailed me telling me the pool table suite that I requested would be available. Cool! I took another look at my online res and in the comments it said : (along with alot of code) DO NOT WALK!!POOL TABLE ROOM!! The hotel was going be busting out of its seams that night I guess.

I arrived at 8PM and valeted(?) my car($31) The lobby was very large and ornate. I did not realize how big this hotel was. Went to checkin and got in line. There was 1 dude ahead of me. Had I looked around directly behind me, I would have seen the HH checkin. DOH! I smiled at the checkin agent and gave her my name. Now comes the funny parts: The guy ahead of me just got there from Ohare after flying 30 hours that day from Australia. The lady said that they were all booked and that he could have a large living room suite with a "roll away" bed. He thought for all of half a second before he said that he wanted a normal bed. After a bit, agent said that he would be upgraded to the executive lounge for his troubles. He thanked them and left. My turn. Just in case, I gave the agent my Diamond card. She told me she would be right back. She went in the back room for a couple of minutes. I slowly started to put my hand in my pocket where I had the printouts stating what room I was getting and that I was not to be walked. Before I could get the copies out, she came back and told me that there was a problem and that I had 2 choices. They had reserved the pool table suite for me. It was very large but the attached bedroom was already rented out to someone else. They explained to me that the pool table suite can be rented out separately for parties and such. The hotel offers many different configs for their rooms. Made sense to me. They said I could have that room(Pool Table Suite) and they would get a roll away bed in there for me. I said what else is available? She said that I could have a parlor suite which was the same size as the Pool Table suite. I said I wanted both :).She told me to wait a second and went back to the back room. During our whole conversation, I was in a very relaxed mood and we were both actually laughing at the situation. She came back and said that I would be able to use the Pool Table Suite for 2 hours. I said OK. I got 4 room key cards: 1 for the exec lounge, 1 for the pool table suite, and 2 for my parlor suite. I go to the elevator. Whoever said that the elevators were slow hasn't been here recently. I had to pop my ears after I got off. The elevators are divided by blocks of floors like the big high rises. It took me a couple minutes to get to my room. Did I already mention that the hotel was huge? I walk into the room and it is huge. It seems a little bit old but still done in a very charming style. The suite has a wet bar, dining room table for 6, living room, 2 tvs, 2 fridges, 2 full baths, and a master bedroom. I dropped my bags and after a quick look around, I went looking for the pool table suite 2 stories down. I walk into the room and it is the same size as my parlor suite minus the bedroom.(I saw several door at the end of small hallways that I assumed went to connecting bedrooms. Pool table was in good shape. Cues were not. After looking around for a bit, got a call from my friend who had arrived at the hotel to meet me for some drinks. I don't drink much but he does. Went to the front of the hotel to meet him.(it took about 5 minutes) I got in his car and we went to the parking garage on the next block. The self-park garage is a block over and you have to go outside to get back to the hotel. Self park is $23. On the way back to the hotel, I noticed that there were several security officers at the different entrances to the hotel checking for room keys. That made me feel good. We head on up to the Executive Lounge on the executive floor. The elevator has a bench in it. I had to swipe my card to get in the elevator. This has got to be the biggest lounge that I have ever seen. There is a PC area, tv, cash bar,smoking section, non-smoking section, dedicated HH concierge, hot snacks, and unlimited soft drinks(yeah). We grab a seat and the bartender takes our drink order. I ask him if he wants my room number for the bill. He says to write it on a form and it will be an open tab. I said OK. The lounge closes at 11PM. At 11PM the bartender gives my friend one last drink and disappears. I thought he was gonna be back to get my signature for the bill. He never came back. I wish he did because I wanted to give him a tip because he was so cool. I had a White Russian and 4 diet cokes. That's a good ratio for me. I didn't even finish the White Russian [img]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif[/img] The Australian I had seen at check in showed up at the lounge and chain smoked for a couple a minutes, said hi and then went to sleep. My friend left at midnight and I headed back to my room. The lounge was in a different tower than my room so it was a elevator ride back to the lobby before hitting the elevators that went to my room. I have to make this trek one more time for breakfast. Next morning, I wake up and I get cleaned up. They serve breakfast until 11 AM so I slowly head on over the Exec Lounge. The lounge is pretty crowded but I easily find a spot to sit. They had bagels, cereal, juices, croissants, yogurt, and pastries. They had more stuff but I don't remember. Lot's of different kinds of coffee, teas and cappuchinos coming out of self serve machines. I don't drink it so I didn't really pay attention to it too much. After eating, I went to see the HH concierge working on the floor about an error on my folio which was under my door that morning. I had already pre-paid for the room but there was an additional room charge on my bill for a night probably due to the confusion at checkin. She took care of it and I was back off to my room. I double checked the folio and I realized that they never charged me for the drinks we had on either folio. I heard in another post that this happened to someone else. Now I really wished I could have tipped the bartender I packed and got ready to leave. They said I didn't need to check out until 2 PM if I wanted. It was around 12:30 PM. I called a number to check out and gave my parking stub to the valet office. After 10 minutes, my car shows up and after giving the guy $5, I am off.

Overall

My take on the Palmer. It is an old hotel but still very nice. It is a big place. Exec Lounge is very nice. Food there is average. Bartender is awesome. They have good security at night. Fast elevators. Nice employees. If there was one bad point, the walls between bedrooms may be a bit thin. The next morning when I woke up, I could hear the next door neighbor arguing with someone. I tried going back to sleep. They kept arguing. I got up and went to the door and banged on it while yelling SHUT UP! I was able to get back to sleep. I didn't have a chance to eat at any of their restaurants so no comments there. I enjoyed it and valuewise, I don't think it could be beat. Here are some pictures of the 2 different rooms. There are 3 pages of pics.http://groups.msn.com/TheSuhFamilyWebsite/palmerhousehiltonchicago.msnw[This message has been edited by korea71 (edited 05-11-2003).]

A Funny Thing Happened to me at the Palmer House

Would you like to write a review on the The Palmer House Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 9, 2003, 8:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Did you originally request the pool table suite when you reserved "the cheapest room available"? Or is this how they took care of you as a Diamond?

Just curious. I probably won't make Diamond again for next year and it would be nice to make good use of it this year.
Old May 9, 2003, 8:30 pm

Interesting report Korea, Thanks.

One question though, why would you go to the trouble of checking into a hotel to do nothing but have a few drinks in the hotel lounge ? No nice dinner ? Cool bar ? ORD has a lot more to offer for a night out than the Hilton lounge..

Old May 9, 2003, 11:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
Did you originally request the pool table suite when you reserved "the cheapest room available"? Or is this how they took care of you as a Diamond?

Just curious. I probably won't make Diamond again for next year and it would be nice to make good use of it this year.
</font>
I requested the room when they sent me an email asking me if I had any special requests. The pool table room is advertised on the Hilton website so it is no secret.(accomodations and ammenities) Whether or not I got this room as a Diamond, I don't know. I am pretty sure that they were told specifically not to walk me as a diamond as I saw the comments section on my original res. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old May 9, 2003, 11:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Interesting report Korea, Thanks.

One question though, why would you go to the trouble of checking into a hotel to do nothing but have a few drinks in the hotel lounge ? No nice dinner ? Cool bar ? ORD has a lot more to offer for a night out than the Hilton lounge..

</font>
I already had dinner with some other friends before I got to the hotel. My friend that visited me also lives in Chicago so I didn't really have to show him around. I was just curious on what the Palmer had to offer so I was trying out their facilities. Actually the lounge that night was very empty so it was quite nice just to relax and talk about old times.

Old May 10, 2003, 3:46 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
I requested the room when they sent me an email asking me if I had any special requests. The pool table room is advertised on the Hilton website so it is no secret.(accomodations and ammenities) Whether or not I got this room as a Diamond, I don't know. I am pretty sure that they were told specifically not to walk me as a diamond as I saw the comments section on my original res. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.</font>
Great pix and report. Just curious about the process you used to pre-reserve a room and view the room assignment online. Care to share?? It would certainly ease a lot of the hassles at checkin if one could do this.
thanks

kelly786
Old May 10, 2003, 12:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
Great pix and report. Just curious about the process you used to pre-reserve a room and view the room assignment online. Care to share?? It would certainly ease a lot of the hassles at checkin if one could do this.
thanks

kelly786
</font>
You may request the "pool table suite" when making the res. either online or through their phone agents. They send you an email stating what kind of room they have for you or if you have any requests several days before you arrive. The comments I saw online, I had no control over. I believe it is an internal admin area from HH to each individual property. Even with this procedure, I didn't get the pool table suite.(except for 2 hours) I guess it all depends on availability.

Old May 12, 2003, 2:00 pm

As you were so quick to find the concierge and point out you were overcharged for the room(s) I thought you might have run back and pointed out the fact you were not charged for the drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.