Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Palmer House - executive lounge?

Can anyone describe the Palmer House's executive lounge? Is there free liquor?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 7:04 pm
Commander Catcop

I have not stayed at the Chicago Hilton, but it's a very nice hotel with a nice restaurant that has a great pre-dinner special -- around 19.95 and very good prime rib.

I stayed last year at the Palmer House, a grand classic hotel. As a gold got an upgrade to a very nice large renovated room with plenty of space and nice furnishings. I'd love to try and see what happens when I stay here as a gold.

Plus the Palmer House is just a few blocks from the subway to ORD.

Plus they have a nice cigar bar and Trader Vic's, a great restauarnt.

Choice: Palmer House unless the Chicago Hilton has a great rate.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 7:32 pm

No free liquor.

Breakfast consists of melon, croissants, danish, bagels, cereal, juice, and coffee.

Coffee machine dispenses Cappuccino and Espresso.

Evening hors d'oeuvres consist of two hot items, plus cheese, crackers, and veggies. Hot items may be egg rolls, chicken wings, mini beef wellington, etc.

Cookies and nuts are available most of the day. Soft drinks, bottled water, and juice are also available all day until 11:00 p.m.

Bartender makes a good Cosmopolitan with Grand Marnier.

[This message has been edited by bamboola (edited 04-07-2003).]
Old Apr 7, 2003, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

I don't know how much frequency at a particular hotel helps...I was at the Palmer house 5 stays, 15 nights the past 12 months (that's a guess by the way - but close).

I think the big things are:

1. Being diamond.
2. Call the pre-arrival coordinator.

The Drake and the Palmer house both have them. For me the difference is that on business, the Palmer House serves me better. But for sheer elegance - the Drake kicks butt. A mini-suite at the Drake, with it's view the lake, fresh flowers, fine appointments, etc... beats a larger room at the Palmer house in terms of romance (In my humble opionon).

Love 'em both,

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by welookgood.com:
Can anyone describe the Palmer House's executive lounge? Is there free liquor?</font>
A few months back, I had a drink in the lounge and had to fill out a form with room number and the amount+tips. However, they never charged my room for the drink.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 3:32 pm

Free canned soft drinks. There is also a credit card operated computer terminal with internet access. Not cheap if I recall, but that's another thread topic!

Old Apr 9, 2003, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
No free drinks for me either. The snacks (dumplings, some vegetable pastry) were just ok too.
Edited to add that the concierge in the lounge was particularly helpful with bar and restaurant options.

[This message has been edited by boobeary (edited 04-09-2003).]
Old Apr 9, 2003, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I was on a Towers floor and the room was not very big or impressive (nice furnishings though). I've mentioned this in other threads but I was quite disappointed with the room because my internet connection and refrigerator were both broken and 2 calls to guest services did nothing to change it. However, they did respond and were very accomodating when I noted this issue through HH Guest Services.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:04 pm

Location: Clarks Summit, PA, USA - AA Platinum, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Not at the Palmer House in particular, but I always stayed at adjacent hotels that were excellent. I would highly recommend the Drake on the next block, which is a Hilton affiliate. I've stayed there twice for $130/night (not bad). The rooms are large with two bathrooms. I also stayed at the Doubletree suites next door, and it was also fine.

However, last month, I stayed for the first time at the Chicago Hilton, about 2 miles away on S. Michigan Ave., and it was great! I heard that the rooms are a little larger than the Palmer House, but the lobby and the ballrooms are very luxurious. By the way, I only paid $125/night. I highly recommend the Chicago Hilton.

Ghayas

------------------
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:18 am

I'm staying on the exec floor at the Palmer House right now. I went up to the lounge both last night and this morning and found that there was nothing at all there -- no concierge, no cocktails, no breakfast, just a deserted lounge.

Now I'm only a lowly Silver and most of the participants on the conference I'm at seem to be staying on the 22nd (exec) floor, but I've been extremely disappointed. What's the point of an exec floor if the advertised facilities aren't present at all?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:27 am

The lounge is on the 23rd floor. You need a special key to access the 23rd floor.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:29 am

That's exactly where I was -- the same key accesses 22 and 23...
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:32 am

I believe the lounge shuts down at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. Were you there before closing time?

Also, breakfast is served from about 7:00 to 10:00 a.m.

The evening hors d'oeuvres are between 5:30 and 7:00, I think.

Outside of those hours, there is no food, aside from cookies and nuts.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Just returned from another stay at the Palmer House. I've stayed there several times now since my original post. As a gold, and traveling on a business rate of $155/nt, I was upgraded to the 23rd (executive) floor and got a spacious end room with two overstuffed chairs and a king bed. The furnishings on the exec floor are very nice. This seems to be an area that's at least partially renovated. The bathroom in particular is significantly nicer, with a double shower head (*great* water pressure!) a real, honest-to-goodness, bathroom rug, picture-frame mirror, scale, etc.

The executive lounge was closed during my stay (perhaps due to low occupancy?) but they did provide coupons that could be used for a full American breakfast in one of the restaurants or from room service, and coupons for a free appetizer at the French Quarter or Trader Vic's. Two free water cards were also provided for the mini-bar. The elevators were fine--not slow at all.

As far as the rooms go--there is a *huge* variation in size. Ask for an exterior corner or end room. These are nearly always much bigger and will usually have a better view. The rooms facing the courtyard are almost all tiny (I believe any room number ending with the digits 01 through 13--regardless of whether it's the 100 or 200 side--is on the courtyard). Room 219 has the best view in my opinion (22nd or 23rd floors only). This is one of the only spots in the hotel with a lake view and it's also on the corner, so it's big. If you aren't happy with your assigned room ask for a change. I have found staff to be very accomodating. If you are a gold or diamond they now offer profile cards that you can use to record room preferences for your next stay. You can also try calling the HHonors desk ahead at (312) 442-1834.

Pakse--I'm curious, where exactly are the pool table suites?

[This message has been edited by Lpas (edited 04-18-2003).]
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Just finished my stay. $99/night
Checked in at HH desk.
Asked for upgrade because I was gold and got 22nd Executive floor.
Kind of cool because you have your own elevator that only goes to 22 and 23 (and even has a bench in the evevator)
Lounge was nice but busy (weekend)
Location is great. Exit on the loop on one side. And to the Red line on the other.
Used the Red Line to go to The American Girl Store on Michigan and out to Wrigley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.