Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Is the Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay on the list of resort for the Aspire credit? You mentioned good buffet breakfast. What was the daily parking fee? We were in SN only once in December for a week at the Homewood suites Liberty station & rented a car to get to the attractions so I don't remember where mission bay is.
Mission Bay is basically the other side of the airport from Liberty Station. It is pretty close to there.

Not even close to Mission Valley.

That Hilton Resort in Mission Bay has a hefty parking fee and a hefty resort fee on top of that. Some of the rooms are motel style and others are in a tower. All I can say about that place is watch your wallet because you will pay at every turn. During low season they do not offer a buffet for Gold/Diamond but they will let you take a couple items out of their coffee shop or if you beg they will let you into the restaurant and serve you yogurt, a pastry, and coffee or juice. Nothing else. It doesn't come off very resort like at all. The beach is public and easily accessible from anyone not just hotel users. The rooms are fairly large in the motel area. I can't speak for the tower.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Mission Bay is basically the other side of the airport from Liberty Station. It is pretty close to there.

Not even close to Mission Valley.

That Hilton Resort in Mission Bay has a hefty parking fee and a hefty resort fee on top of that. Some of the rooms are motel style and others are in a tower. All I can say about that place is watch your wallet because you will pay at every turn. During low season they do not offer a buffet for Gold/Diamond but they will let you take a couple items out of their coffee shop or if you beg they will let you into the restaurant and serve you yogurt, a pastry, and coffee or juice. Nothing else. It doesn't come off very resort like at all. The beach is public and easily accessible from anyone not just hotel users. The rooms are fairly large in the motel area. I can't speak for the tower.
It seems true. Also no free airport shuttle to and from hotel.! Will get a rental car but not at the airport location. I will look for one night at another property for the Aspire resort credit. I think we will stay at Homewood suites in Liberty station again on points for 5 days & then stay one night at a Hilton resort hotel for the Aspire credit.
That one in Liberty station has nothing special for Diamond I believe but it is a good hotel and location over all for families. The breakfast is good and the location with a park around it is so good. We are going there for the attractions.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I can't tell if you're prioritizing the inexpensive brands - where all statuses get pretty similar treatment - or a full-service brand where Diamond gets great treatment.

Over the 3 days, we spent about $250 in incidentals and the credits posted to the Amex with no problems. It didn't matter that it was 3 one-night folios.
I'm looking to stay for one night with my pregnant wife using the Aspire free weekend night in May. Were you able to charge the valet parking to the room for the $250 Aspire credit? Just curious what other incidentals did you take advantage of? I was thinking of treating my wife to a spa treatment but not sure if it can be charged to the room to trigger the $250 credit. I didn't realize breakfast was included for Diamond member. Which restaurant was it? Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
+1 for Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay or hotel del. I’ve had decent and great experiences at both. At both I’ve seen upgrades to presidential suite or huge oceanfront suites. I’ve also stayed and not received any upgrades, so it all depends. I felt breakfast was good to great at both as well.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by spchester
+1 for Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay or hotel del. I’ve had decent and great experiences at both. At both I’ve seen upgrades to presidential suite or huge oceanfront suites. I’ve also stayed and not received any upgrades, so it all depends. I felt breakfast was good to great at both as well.
MIX responses about the Hilton SDR on MB. The parking fee is huge. Room without even a microwave and no airport shuttle? Good for family?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by silvervknight
I'm looking to stay for one night with my pregnant wife using the Aspire free weekend night in May. Were you able to charge the valet parking to the room for the $250 Aspire credit? Just curious what other incidentals did you take advantage of? I was thinking of treating my wife to a spa treatment but not sure if it can be charged to the room to trigger the $250 credit. I didn't realize breakfast was included for Diamond member. Which restaurant was it? Thanks!
I did not park a car there, but I'm fairly certain you could charge the parking to your room. Same with spa. Our expenses were in the various shops and restaurants on the property. Drinks, lunch, etc.

Breakfast was in the Sheerwater restaurant. I was skeptical whether we'd even eat it, given that many hotels' "continental" offerings are a very poor excuse for breakfast. (See Starwood's packaged muffin + 1 banana + packaged juice.) However, this spread is really top-notch in both quality and variety, and we ate it all three days we were there. You can also upgrade to a full hot buffet for $20 (I think), although we never did that.

Only thing we didn't do there was a full dinner. Too many other good spots in Coronado and San Diego to try... Their dinner reviews seem mixed, perhaps because a couple of their restaurants are extremely expensive and many feel they don't deliver that kind of experience. Their lunch spot, for a burger & beer by the ocean, was fine.

Coronado would be my top choice to use the Aspire certificate, partly because the property is so unique and partly because it's easier to find less expensive paid rates at the rest of the Hiltons in town than it is there.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I did not park a car there, but I'm fairly certain you could charge the parking to your room. Same with spa. Our expenses were in the various shops and restaurants on the property. Drinks, lunch, etc.

Breakfast was in the Sheerwater restaurant. I was skeptical whether we'd even eat it, given that many hotels' "continental" offerings are a very poor excuse for breakfast. (See Starwood's packaged muffin + 1 banana + packaged juice.) However, this spread is really top-notch in both quality and variety, and we ate it all three days we were there. You can also upgrade to a full hot buffet for $20 (I think), although we never did that.

Only thing we didn't do there was a full dinner. Too many other good spots in Coronado and San Diego to try... Their dinner reviews seem mixed, perhaps because a couple of their restaurants are extremely expensive and many feel they don't deliver that kind of experience. Their lunch spot, for a burger & beer by the ocean, was fine.

Coronado would be my top choice to use the Aspire certificate, partly because the property is so unique and partly because it's easier to find less expensive paid rates at the rest of the Hiltons in town than it is there.
Which ones you are referring to? We , 3 of us ( family) are going to San Diego on June 21 for a week. Leisure trip for attractions for my minor child. Will be renting a car and I know some hotels have expensive daily parking fees and no airport shuttle. But would like to take advantage of the Aspire credit. Where do you recommend?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Which ones you are referring to? We , 3 of us ( family) are going to San Diego on June 21 for a week. Leisure trip for attractions for my minor child. Will be renting a car and I know some hotels have expensive daily parking fees and no airport shuttle. But would like to take advantage of the Aspire credit. Where do you recommend?
I was referring to the Hotel Del Coronado. It's definitely my top choice if you're using the Aspire certificates (free nights), because it's often very expensive from a paid rate perspective. Whether it's a good value for points or cash is a bit more subjective - it's often expensive and caps out as the top (non-Maldives) award category at 95k per night.

Just looking to use the $250 Aspire credit, and looking to stay a week, I probably wouldn't select the Del but that's just me. It's in a great location, but you're also paying a premium because it's a "famous" hotel. We loved it for 3 nights - the one time I had 3 Aspire certificates hoarded for the occasion - but wouldn't have actually paid for a full week there.

I haven't spent a lot of time in SD proper with the kids. Closest thing I've done is Dana Point, where there's a relatively inexpensive Doubletree that we kind of like for what it is. It's a smallish hotel walking distance to the beach and to a marina with restaurants and shopping. Approximately halfway between SAN and LAX. We've stayed there 3 times with the kids and like it because they treat Diamonds well, have a pretty good breakfast (and have never balked about letting the kids eat in addition to 2 adults), and have nice large rooms with balconies and sunset views. In addition to the restaurant for breakfast, it has a rooftop bar with a decent menu and not-outrageous prices. It's not a high-end resort - just a moderate beach town hotel - but it won't break the bank. Last time I was there, underground garage parking was $20-25 per night but there are also free street parking options if you're willing to walk a couple hundred yards.

I take its location to be a plus - when we've been there, we've usually done a couple San Diego days, a couple OC beach-town days, and maybe 1 Los Angeles day (you obviously have to time that based on traffic). Depends on how set you are on seeing things specifically in San Diego vs. just generally up and down the coast.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:25 pm

Is this the best one night stay Hilton in San diego for the resort credit?

Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Carlsbad, CA, United States
Not too far from attraction it says and parking fee that is not crazy expensive. Just one night for the credit. Hope the diamond benefit is good.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:46 pm

Is this the best one night stay Hilton in San diego for the resort credit?

Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Carlsbad, CA, United States
Not too far from attraction it says and parking fee that is not crazy expensive. Just one night for the credit. Hope the diamond benefit is good.
It depends what you plan to do in San Diego. That property is close to Legoland but is about a 30-minute drive from central San Diego.

(I live in San Diego.)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdnativeboy

It depends what you plan to do in San Diego. That property is close to Legoland but is about a 30-minute drive from central San Diego.

(I live in San Diego.)

The price is a major rip off $300 plus $100 in fees for just one night sleep in standard room. Not staying at this.The Aspire resort list in San Diego is very few and all in DEL MAR. I can just stay one night for the Aspire credit if the total cost including fees and tax comes to no more then $250. Which one you recommend from the resort list for the aspire credit? Also but i need your suggestions about the other hotels. I want to stay at one with breakfast and free to cheap parking and suite type room with fridge & microwave. Will rent a car so having to drive few miles is not an issue.

How are these two? in terms of location? I have radisson rewards points that I could use . I have hilton points too I could use at places like homewood suites but I want to drain my Raddison points if the hotel works for us.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Diego North, CA

We have been to SAN DIEGO once before 5 months ago and stayed at Homewood suite sin Liberty station. Perfect , the location , the breakfast and evening socal, except for $19 parking fee but still cheaper then downtown hotel parking costs.

Any other homewood suites i should check? Or choose between the country Inn and Homewood Suites in Liberty station?

Thanks.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Apr 29, 2019 at 11:14 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:11 pm

How are these two? in terms of location? I have radisson rewards points that I could use . I have hilton points too I could use at places like homewood suites but I want to drain my Raddison points if the hotel works for us.
The Country Inn is closer to central part of San Diego, but it's pretty much a business park. The Rancho Bernardo location is suburbia. Out of the two I'd choose the Country Inn only because it's closer to most things.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by sdnativeboy

The Country Inn is closer to central part of San Diego, but it's pretty much a business park. The Rancho Bernardo location is suburbia. Out of the two I'd choose the Country Inn only because it's closer to most things.
pls read full post above. I was adding things to ask while I was getting this reply. Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:37 pm

The price is a major rip off $300 plus $100 in fees for just one night sleep in standard room. Not staying at this.The Aspire resort list in San Diego is very few and all in DEL MAR. I can just stay one night for the Aspire credit if the total cost including fees and tax comes to no more then $250. Which one you recommend from the resort list for the aspire credit? Also but i need your suggestions about the other hotels. I want to stay at one with breakfast and free to cheap parking and suite type room with fridge & microwave. Will rent a car so having to drive few miles is not an issue.

We have been to SAN DIEGO once before 5 months ago and stayed at Homewood suite sin Liberty station. Perfect , the location , the breakfast and evening socal, except for $19 parking fee but still cheaper then downtown hotel parking costs.

Any other homewood suites i should check? Or choose between the country Inn and Homewood Suites in Liberty station?

Thanks.
If you enjoyed the Homewood Suites in Liberty Station, I'd go with that over the Country Inn. You're not going to do much better than $19 for parking, and Liberty Station is a great location.

As for the resort properties, the only one I've actually been to is the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa. (Incidentally, the resort list links to the incorrect property. It's not in Del Mar. It's near SeaWorld.) I got a room there over the weekend because I needed to burn my $250 credit. The room was old and crappy. It still had popcorn ceilings. I just went home after checking out the room and slept in my own bed.

Like I said, I have not been to the other resort properties, but Del Mar and La Jolla are good location-wise.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You should just stick to one thread. You have asked these same questions here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...d-benefit.html and here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31051010-post34.html.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.