Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:44 am

Will be using Aspire credit at Del in early Jan (I was jazzed that the credit went through even before the stay) but I need a spot for 1st night. Took a look at Carte, and booked it. Glad you say it's ^.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by acker
Will be using Aspire credit at Del in early Jan (I was jazzed that the credit went through even before the stay) but I need a spot for 1st night. Took a look at Carte, and booked it. Glad you say it's ^.
Make sure you check construction updates for the Del, I stayed there in late October and it was a mess.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:38 am

Not particularly excited to stay at Del, but my Aspire renews next week on the 27th. I hadn't used this year's resort credit, and booking the Del triggered the $250 credit for this year. It's a refundable rate, so wasn't expecting the credit, but thought I'd give it a shot. I never spend $380 a night, but now it will be $130, which includes that **!! resort charge. Btw, what's up with them charging my card in advance of my stay? Rate mentioned nothing about that...although it worked in my favor.
Wth with hotels being a construction site and not lowering the price? And I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but the Diamond continental bfast voucher better cover the entire cost of 2 continental bfast and coffee. I'm generous to housekeeping and wait staff, but not OK with bfast coupons not covering the minimal offering, which includes coffee.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
My two favorite hotels in the area have left the Hilton family in the past few months: Hotel Karlan and the Mission Bay Resort and Spa. Any recommendations on what hotels I might like? I have no need to be downtown.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:59 am

I see that there's not been any posts post-Covid.
Can I get some recommendations?

I'm considering:
- Hilton Torrey Pines
- Hilton Bayfront
- Hilton Gaslamp
- Curio Hotel La Jolla
- Hilton Del Mar

Family-friendly
this will be an r&r vacation
want a nice view
has to be clean and well-maintained
upscale would be nice, but definitely don't want to spend 95k a night (a la Del Coronado).
will be going to the beach a lot
nice pool is a plus
ideally decent Diamond benefits which means I'd like a place where not everything is shut down (esp important that they're serving breakfast).

Used to live in La Jolla, and I'm only familiar with La Jolla, UTC, Kearney Mesa and Del Mar.
I'm really drawn to Hilton Torrey Pines mainly because I know the area really well and I can walk to the beach from there. (you still don't need to pay fees to access Torrey Pines Reserve if you're just walking in, correct?) But this property's kind of expensive at 60k pts with $33 pkg per night.
I never went to downtown, so I don't know how it is down there.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi evergrn

Although the gaslamp Hilton is nice the views are not that great(maybe better in the main building as I was in the rear building) as it is across the road and trolley line from the convention centre and the pool is small. The location in the gaslamp area is good. The bayfront would have good views potentially esp on higher floors and the pool looks better although not as large as resort pools
Both hotels have access to the promenade and you can walk or cycle to seaport village and the midway aircraft carrier and maritime museum

Have not been post covid but as a hh gold at the time I got a free continental breakfast at the gaslamp with a 10$ surcharge for hot items but the continental was pretty good iirc. Hotel was in good condition and no complaints about the noise .one hotel across the street seemed to have a rooftop pool party on sat evening but did not hear it from my room

I would think that the bayfront and gaslamp are ideal for urban exploration they are probably not the best for pure r&r
Regards
tbs

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 9, 2021 at 3:52 am
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:41 pm

Thanks, The _Banking_Scot

Good to know that Hilton Gaslamp is a nice hotel.
But maybe downtown is not the best for us.
I don't know what downtown San Diego is like, but I sort of imagined the waterfront area to be resort-like atmosphere and nice for a stroll. I don't know if that's accurate. Beach is our main agenda and I realize there's no beach within walking distance of downtown, but I was just thinking we'd try a different area this time than La Jolla. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt there ~10yrs ago but I was there for a conference and never left the hotel. I know we would not be interested in aircraft carrier or museum.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks, The _Banking_Scot

Good to know that Hilton Gaslamp is a nice hotel.
But maybe downtown is not the best for us.
I don't know what downtown San Diego is like, but I sort of imagined the waterfront area to be resort-like atmosphere and nice for a stroll. I don't know if that's accurate. Beach is our main agenda and I realize there's no beach within walking distance of downtown, but I was just thinking we'd try a different area this time than La Jolla. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt there ~10yrs ago but I was there for a conference and never left the hotel. I know we would not be interested in aircraft carrier or museum.
Hi,

The waterfront around the Seaport village is nice for a stroll, with the marina beside it and the North and South embarcardero park offering green spaces and did like strolling at sunset with the reflections coming off the Marriot Marquis so it is nice for an afternoon day out. but for a bech Lajolla/Del mar might be better. Mission bay might have more resort style hotels ( but no hiltons- there is a Hyatt regency ). The Hilton San Diego airport/harbour island is close by but the pool looks small.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:59 pm

Thanks for the additional info!
I think we are going to stick to La Jolla or Del Mar this time but, time permitting, we will go do a bit of site check of the downtown waterfront area for next time.

If anyone has any feedback on the 3 properties I listed above in La Jolla / Del Mar, Id appreciate it!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Any advice on where to stay for our trip? We (2 adults and 1 child) will be flying in from Hawaii on a Friday, spending Saturday exploring the city (probably mostly the zoo), and then fly home on Sunday. We will not have a car. Thinking Downtown/Gaslamp properties would be best, but was the Monsaraz also looked interesting, although I am not sure if that would work well with no car. Also considered transferring UR points to for Manchester Grand Hyatt. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
San Diego insanity

Looking at this coming weekend....I get that its summer in SoCal, but I've -never- seen Hilton property prices so high in my life in San Diego. Hampton Inn for $400 a night; Homewood Suites for $500 a night - in Chula Vista nonetheless. Comic Con ends tomorrow. But wow......
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Looking at this coming weekend....I get that its summer in SoCal, but I've -never- seen Hilton property prices so high in my life in San Diego. Hampton Inn for $400 a night; Homewood Suites for $500 a night - in Chula Vista nonetheless. Comic Con ends tomorrow. But wow......

Just like the Hampton Inn's around Yellowstone.
High demand.
(Can you stay outside San Diego. I think Carlsbad is more affordable. Then there's beautiful Dana Point.)

Look at Coronado in San Diego...

Coronado, San Diego

Last edited by hotscot; Jul 23, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Comic Con.

David
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Dana Point has a lot going for it as well and it is close to Laguna where there are great art galleries and restaurants, though I don't know the area where the hotel is. There is a good Italian restaurant called Luchia's in Dana Point and Five Feet is in Laguna.

[This message has been edited by FrAAmer (edited 04-18-2001).]
Honestly, Dana point is nowhere close to SD, and is a complete dump. I absolutely would not recommend even considering Dana Point. No way,
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain
Honestly, Dana point is nowhere close to SD, and is a complete dump. I absolutely would not recommend even considering Dana Point. No way,
I made a suggestion not a command. It's @ an hour drive to SD when the traffic is clear. But a "complete dump"?
What a strange thing to say about one of the best coastal locations in SoCal.
I don't see how you can describe a walkable city, good beaches, fantastic harbor area, excellent restaurants, whale/dolphin excursions, as any sort of dump.
if you look up any guide it will confirm this.
And honestly, I can't imagine any part of it that could be described as any sort of dump let alone a complete one. It's a very rich upmarket area.
I don't think the Monarch Beach Hilton would be charging almost $900 a night in a dump.

My goodness have you ever been there?

Last edited by hotscot; Jul 24, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.