Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Originally Posted by Algebralovr
Just finished a great 4 night stay at Hilton Gaslamp. Checked in online through the app. Arrived to find I had been upgraded to a king whirlpool suite. Beautiful room. Lots of food in walking distance. Convention center just across the street. Contennential breakfast benefit for Diamond, $10 upgrade to full breakfast.
We were recently surprised with this suite too. Diamonds with multiple stays at Gaslamp. Breakfast is subpar, they are understaffed and the hot foods can be barely warm which makes the 10$ up charge a little more frustrating.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
That's pretty common downtown in larger cities. I paid that at the IC New Orleans this year and I arrived at 4 PM and left the next day at 8 AM.
It becomes interesting when more upscale properties charge less though. This past week I insisted that we find parking on our own for our 3 nights and via Parking Panda app got parking in a garage a couple blocks away for 12$ saved over 130$
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:27 pm

Which Hilton in San diego has good Diamond benefit?

Not looking for expensive ones, points or cash rate. My preferred is Homewood suites as it has decent benefit for all guests and specially with family. I like good breakfast with good room upgrade. I will request fridge & microwave if they don't have one.
What is a decent priced ones that is in good location for a small child and that is on the Hilton resort category (hilton.com/resorts)? I see few reasonably priced ones that says in Delmar location. I don't know what that area is.
I might stay on points for few nights and one or two night with Amex aspire card for the resort credit.

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Honestly, I've tried them all and it's a sellers market. This is from multiple SAN visits per week, for many years. So far I've not found one that does more than the bare minimum (and in some cases much less) required in terms of diamond benefits. However I never stay at the top downtown Hilton properties (most of my business is north of downtown).
indufan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
The Embassy suites are decent if you like the breakfast and drink reception. Expect lots of families. Downtown is in walking distance to the Maritime museum, USS Midway, and Seaport village. If you stay downtown Most of the downtown/bayside hotels charge for parking - $50 at the ES and I think the others are comparable. The ES in LaJolla charges $35. Just like "resort" fees, it's a way to raise prices without it showing. Even if you pay with points they whack you with the fee.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I see few reasonably priced ones that says in Delmar location. I don't know what that area is.
What were you looking to do in San Diego? Del Mar isn't really near anything touristy - there are a lot of conventions at the fairgrounds in that area. You're not too far of a drive from La Jolla where you'll find more beaches and good restaurants. (But the Hilton property in La Jolla Torrey Pines is also out of the way - it's in a golfing area not near where I would consider downtown La Jolla by the sea.)

The resort list isn't that big (and I'm surprised some of the places on the list and not on the list), but out of those:

It's not San Diego, but my favorite property on the list is the Waterfront Beach Resort in Huntington Beach (in Orange County). Staff is friendly and there are a few shopping areas on the boardwalk, but upgrades are hard to come by (depending on capacity).

Cape Ray in Carlsbad is near Legoland (but not much else).

Hotel del Coronado has the best beaches, but it's a public beach. And you'd have to drive to get to San Diego proper.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by TSparky
The Embassy suites are decent if you like the breakfast and drink reception. Expect lots of families. Downtown is in walking distance to the Maritime museum, USS Midway, and Seaport village. If you stay downtown Most of the downtown/bayside hotels charge for parking - $50 at the ES and I think the others are comparable. The ES in LaJolla charges $35. Just like "resort" fees, it's a way to raise prices without it showing. Even if you pay with points they whack you with the fee.
We stayed at the Homewood suites Liberty station last time, few months ago. Loved the location as there is a big park surrounding the hotel and . It was fun to walk around and let my kid run around. We spent our last day just at the park around the hotel. We may go to San diego again, 2nd time in June or July for around a week. it is to visit Legoland, sea world.

The only resort hilton hotel for Aspire credit is 2 or 3 hotels in DelMar area. I don't know much about it.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I always stay in Mission Valley when in SAN

The DoubleTree Hilton does only continental breakfast for Diamonds.

The Hilton has full breakfast buffet + upgrades are usually there and they do tend to wave (sometimes) parking.

YMMV of course.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I always stay in Mission Valley when in SAN

The DoubleTree Hilton does only continental breakfast for Diamonds.

The Hilton has full breakfast buffet + upgrades are usually there and they do tend to wave (sometimes) parking.

YMMV of course.
I've stayed at many of these properties. Homewood Liberty Station is fine. Hilton Bayfront is a bit much with long check in lines, lousy breakfast benefit, and the parking cost. Hilton Gaslamp was better when they gave a full hot breakfast... but the location is good, though it was better 10 years ago when there weren't so many homeless. Doubletree Del Mar... is fine. I liked the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad the best of all. Laid back property. The parking fee was annoying but it is what it is. Nicer than average HGI, better than average HGI breakfast.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I am a fan of the Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay . I am regularly upgraded to a Bayview room, the free breakfast buffet (cold plus breads) is great, and you can buy up to the hot buffet for not too much . It is right in the middle of Mission Bay park . The Hotel Karlan (a DoubleTree) is surprisingly good, and includes a full breakfast if you do not mind being further out .
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by mazzer
I am a fan of the Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay . I am regularly upgraded to a Bayview room, the free breakfast buffet (cold plus breads) is great, and you can buy up to the hot buffet for not too much . It is right in the middle of Mission Bay park . The Hotel Karlan (a DoubleTree) is surprisingly good, and includes a full breakfast if you do not mind being further out .
Is the Hilton San Diego Resort on Mission Bay on the list of resort for the Aspire credit? You mentioned good buffet breakfast. What was the daily parking fee? We were in SN only once in December for a week at the Homewood suites Liberty station & rented a car to get to the attractions so I don't remember where mission bay is.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
The answers are all easily looked up on the Hilton Websites

https://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html
(Yes, it qualifies for the credit)

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-san-diego-resort-and-spa-SANHIHF/index.html
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I can't tell if you're prioritizing the inexpensive brands - where all statuses get pretty similar treatment - or a full-service brand where Diamond gets great treatment.

My only San Diego resort Hilton stay recently has been the Hotel Del Coronado. As we all know, cash rates at this hotel can vary widely and go quite high. I used award nights. There isn't much in the way of Diamond recognition, but the standard award can be booked into a room category that is as roomy as a lot of junior suites. (Victorian King.) The continental breakfast that comes with Diamond status was a very nice spread with dozens of choices. The older building has a few quirks but nothing that negatively impacted our stay. The only minor issues I had were to do with the fact that their systems aren't fully integrated with Hilton yet. So there were weird things like having to book 3 award nights as 3 one-night certificate stays, refreshing the room key each morning.

Over the 3 days, we spent about $250 in incidentals and the credits posted to the Amex with no problems. It didn't matter that it was 3 one-night folios.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

The Hilton in Mission Valey says Camino del Rio . Isn't that the street where you have the Target, Pei Wei Asian diner and a Holiday inn brand?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
The Hilton in Mission Valey says Camino del Rio . Isn't that the street where you have the Target, Pei Wei Asian diner and a Holiday inn brand?
You may wish to use Apple or Google maps...virtually all of your questions re proximity, attractions, etc. would be quickly answered. A bit of research goes a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.